MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM

Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program

Old 08-16-2009 at 10:27 AM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

BY DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

The Indigenous Studies Program (ISP) at McMaster is one of the smallest degree programs on campus with approximately 250-300 (about 100 Native and 150-200 non-Native) students taking courses each year. It was established in 1991 as a response to the desires of Indigenous representatives, Native and non-Native students as well as educators from the region for increased accessibility and support from the University for Indigenous cultures and education. One of the goals of the program is to preserve and promote Indigenous Knowledge to students and researchers that are interested in learning more about Indigenous cultures and perspectives as well as enhance and support Native, Métis and Inuit students at McMaster.

This interdisciplinary program features perspectives from Indigenous Theory, Cultural Studies, Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, English and Social Work among others. ISP classes are beneficial to McMaster students of any academic discipline and in any desired career path. Presently, students may take a combined major in Indigenous Studies or have a minor in Indigenous Studies. They may also take ISP classes as electives.

Faculty Awards:
Important Contacts:

Student Inquiries
: [email protected] or call (905) 525-9140 ext 27426

Tips for Success:
  1. Always attend your lectures and tutorials, and take good notes.
  2. Finish your readings to the best of your ability. If you can’t complete them all in one week read them for the next because they are part of discussion all term.
  3. You will be writing essays in these courses. If there is something you do not understand or feel you are struggling with talk to your professor. But don’t wait until the last minute to get help!
  4. Participation is a large portion of these classes. Make sure to participate and ask questions.
  5. When in doubt, ask.
  6. Pay attention to what is happening to Indigenous people in the news. Sometimes this ends up being part of class discussion.
Professors:
Program Director: Dr. Dawn Martin-Hill - on leave 2009-2010

(Acting) Program Director: Rick Monture
Full-Time Lecturer: Hayden King

Mohawk Instructor: Tom Deer
Anishnaabe Instructor: Ali Darnay
Elders in Residence: Bertha Skye & Norma General

Social Events/Opportunities:

McMaster First Nations Student Association
(MFNSA) hosts a variety of events throughout the year. These include but are not limited to cultural awareness events and conferences on campus, toy drives during the holidays, and an annual Unity Ride. Additionally, MFNSA students are involved reaching out to local Indigenous communities as well as co-planning the Indigenous Lecture Series, and promoting post-secondary education in Native communities and more.

Native and non-Native students are encouraged to join and participate actively in MFNSA. You can contact them via email at [email protected] il.com. You can also visit them in the MFNSA student lounge in Hamilton Hall 103D.

Looking Forward – Future Paths and Occupations:

Taking Indigenous Studies classes gives the student knowledge on the issues that face Native people and their communities. This knowledge can be transferred to a wide variety of professions and careers. It should be noted that some of these occupations may require additional education aside from a bachelors degree. Below are some suggestions.
  • Graduate Studies
  • Law
  • Communications/Journalism
  • Policing
  • Department of Culture
  • Non-profit Organizations
  • Environmental Groups
  • Policy Advisors
  • Museums
  • Business
  • Social Work
  • Government (municipal, provincial, federal)
  • Correctional Facilities
  • Teaching
  • Financial Planning
  • Medicine

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-16-2009 at 10:31 AM.

ARose, feonateresa all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-16-2009 at 01:17 PM   #2
alex89

Liked: 0 Times

These classes are actually really interesting and worth taking, especially classes with Hayden King. He's an awesome professor.
Old 08-16-2009 at 02:01 PM   #3
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Sounds neat.

It's too bad it's one of the 'quieter' programs on campus ): I only know about it because its office is located in the basement of the math building...I think it was anyway.
Old 08-16-2009 at 04:49 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It's still in the basement of HH.

I looove my ISP classes. I find them interesting and challenging in the good kind of way(s).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-17-2009 at 11:59 PM   #5
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

Wow I just found this class INDIG ST 2A03: Indigenous Peoples Spirituality and I quickly rearranged my commerce courses and found space for this class.

Can someone tell me more about this class?

edit: Oh no! I do not have the academic requirements for this class. I guess I have to write an email now.

edit 2: OMG another amazing class: INDIG ST 2D03 TRADITIONAL INDIGENOUS ECOLOGICAL KNOWLEDGE. Can someone plese tell me about this class as well?

edit 3: I didn't see the course review for 2d03. thanks!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 08-18-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:02 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I'm enrolled in 2A03 next year, and am the reviewer for 2D03.

So if you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Old 08-20-2009 at 12:30 AM   #7
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

This program does sound very interesting.

If I was able to fit some of these courses into my timetable, I would have certainly taken them. I know a lot of native people, and I find them to be interesting in terms of their culture, language, etc. If I can, I may take a few of these courses in the future.

Old 08-20-2009 at 10:08 PM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

what are the class sizes like?

I've signed up for 1a03 this term as well as 2d03.
Old 08-20-2009 at 10:15 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Second and third year courses are usually pretty small. The two largest (Native Canadian and Native American Lit) classes had about 60 people (they're also cross-listed with English, CSCT, Comp Lit and Peace Studies. Otherwise I've been in a classes between nine and twenty students.

sinthusized says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-24-2009 at 02:56 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

The program sounds incredible! Will definitely be tryinga course or two next year