MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part Six: The Faculty of Health Sciences saukalra Faculty & Program Series 6 09-07-2009 10:56 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM

Faculty Societies, what do you think?

Old 03-29-2010 at 07:11 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

The Science Society holds jurisdiction over the sub-societies. They claim funding from us and are required to attend general meetings.

If you have any questions about the inner workings in the Science Society, let me know.

Marlowe says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 03-29-2010 at 07:43 PM   #17
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

<3 Science

Taunton likes this.
Old 03-29-2010 at 11:14 PM   #18
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

The commerce society operates 8 wholly consolidated committees that execute large scale projects for us. These committees include: Business Challenge, Soft Skills, Welcome Week, Academic awareness conference, and many others.

The Society also employs six arms length-associations which run specifically focused programs. These include the DeGroote Accounting Association, DeGroote Marketing Association and McMaster Investment club.

The Society will also occasionally run society level programming including our recent SUMMIT 2010 conference & occasional socials such as our mystery bus trip.

Although, our primary focus is to manage our committees & associations effectively.

Last edited by james2255 : 03-29-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2010 at 08:43 PM   #19
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 201 Times

When it comes to the humanities society they lack committees. I think moving to having committees work on events is the way the Humanities Society should go and hopefully will.

The main difference I find though between say the Commerce Society and say the Humanities society is the lack of sponsorship. What does everyone here think about once a society establishes itself as having a solid structure/framework actually pursuing sponsorships? I think this could be an interesting way for societies to benefit students but it requires direction and unity something for at least the MHS hasn't been seen for a while and I think will change this year. But yeah

Should Societies such as the Humanities Society (once stable, functioning and engaging) pursue sponsorships? How do you think this would affect the political capabilities of the society?
Old 03-30-2010 at 09:28 PM   #20
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

The MES does an epic job for engineers already. Planning a formal is the job of a couple of guys, and it goes on for a long time, but there are TONNES of other events. Wonderland halloween haunt, various pub nights, Carpool events, Toga!, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ........ The list goes on and on my friends The fun doesn't stop... Unless you can't keep up with the work to some extent either .

AnguishedEnd likes this.