Liked: 1 Time

Failed 1st year Math 1Za3 and physics
Hello

i failed both math and physics first year engineering
I am really mad and dont know what to do

I had 60% going into physics exam, I dont get how i failed

and math i dont know

What will happen to me I really wana stay in engineering

also if I want to go into business what should i do?
I am confused :(

help
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:13 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeeb View Post
Hello

i failed both math and physics first year engineering
I am really mad and dont know what to do

I had 60% going into physics exam, I dont get how i failed

and math i dont know

What will happen to me I really wana stay in engineering

also if I want to go into business what should i do?
I am confused :(

help
It sounds like you should start by getting your shit together and really putting in effort. It's possible to recover this (with summer school).

If what you decide though is that you would rather to business, then you should book an appointment with guidance as soon as possible. You don't want to waste another semester's worth of time and money on engineering if it's really not what you want to do.
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:28 PM   #3
adeeb

can i still switch now and start business second semester?
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:31 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

You should be able to. It might even be possible for you to not lose a year if you make up courses during the summer.

adeeb says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:33 PM   #5
adeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You should be able to. It might even be possible for you to not lose a year if you make up courses during the summer.
Do you recommend that i swich? like is their a career for it
where can i find more info? this is a important step for me

do you recommend i swich
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:43 PM   #6
yeshuvai

Well there's of course a career in business but it just comes down to what you really want to do.
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:45 PM   #7
slx4

Liked: 4 Times

Whatever recommendation someone makes, it really depends on if that degree is something you actually want to do. We don't know what your strengths and weaknesses or if you even have a passion for business. Engineering is no walk in the park, and many people I know tend to slack off or w/e and "ride the curve" because they don't really care about a difference between a C average or an A average. The important thing about working hard before exams is that you give yourself a cushion in case your marks do drop (it happens to a lot of people).

I think the best option for you is to reflect on your first term, think about whether you slacked off or not and if you were given a second chance, would you do better if you put in more effort? If you really don't seem to enjoy what you are learning on any level, and you don't have a knack for it, then I think it would be best to consider something else. Once again, that something else is really dependent on what you want. Good luck!

mfattal likes this.
Old 01-03-2012 at 09:08 PM   #8
adeeb

I want to talk to my dad about it but im scared about his response,

I have a strong passion for business but i just dont know what they teach in university for business

I thought i was passionate about engineering but I hate 1D04 and im starting to hate physics

also is math in business hard

whats is program called at mac
Old 01-03-2012 at 09:19 PM   #9
bumblebee001

its called commerce, and honestly first year business is based on electives. there are only 2 commerce classes really. i havent taken math yet, but you should really just talk to an advisor who would better be able to give you a better description. personally, i love the course and feel it gives you a lot of room to find what you like best and excel in that
Old 01-03-2012 at 09:24 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeeb View Post
I want to talk to my dad about it but im scared about his response,

I thought i was passionate about engineering but I hate 1D04 and im starting to hate physics
I understand that he might be upset over your decision, but in the future, you are the one who's going to be working in a filed related to engineering/business and not your dad.
An exception to this is that if your dad has an engineering company and wants you to work with him, but still its really your decision.

If you hate physics and programming, you can still become an engineer. The are engineering programs that do not involve programming or physics.
Old 01-03-2012 at 10:02 PM   #11
adeeb

I hate having to decide between the too :(

im so confused on what to do
Old 01-03-2012 at 10:08 PM   #12
MasterFett
Account Locked

Liked: 31 Times

You sound like you have no idea what business even is. Perhaps actually figure out what you want to do instead of making a knee-jerk reaction into business because you think its easier and will land you a job.

Commerce is extremely dry, its a survival test.

Also Math 1M03 is no joke it covers very similar content that eng does but with a calculator. Obviously its easier but you still need to be strong at math... Accounting however, is another story...
Old 01-03-2012 at 10:17 PM   #13
adeeb

no i know what it is, might go into finance or something
i will see

thanks guys
Old 01-03-2012 at 10:32 PM   #14
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

you should talk to the academic person for business and find out. I think you need to have a certain number of prereqs to be eligible as a transfer. So you should find out now and plan your courses accordingly.
Old 01-03-2012 at 11:57 PM   #15
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

You could probably transfer your eng credits over as electives for the Commerce program since as mentioned before, you get a lot of electives first year.