MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-21-2015 at 10:54 PM   #1
karan7146

Liked: 0 Times

Failed physics 1d03
I failed 1d03 and have a couple questions:

1. Is it possible to take 1E03 next semester even though I failed?
2. Is there a limit to how many courses an engineer can fail?
3. Has anyone gotten into 2nd year engineering after failing 1d03?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2015 at 11:36 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

1. Is it possible to take 1E03 next semester even though I failed?
Look at the student calendar course listings, it tells you the prerequisites.

2. Is there a limit to how many courses an engineer can fail?
No, as long as you are fine with how much it affects your GPA, you can fail all you want.

Altho there might be a point before they kick you out (I think there's such thing in 1st year Engineering, like if your CA falls below C- or something).

3. Has anyone gotten into 2nd year engineering after failing 1d03?
They will not let you into 2nd year without completing 1st year requirements. You will have to redo it during summer (if it's offered, which is unlikely), or take it next year.

Might still contact the counselor tho, just to double check.

Just to clarify, how do you know you failed?
Old 12-22-2015 at 12:16 AM   #3
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

90% sure its offered in summer. Still talk to the counselor.

Btw, Phys 1E03 is harder... so get your 'stuff' together and get the help you need and pass 1E03.
Old 12-23-2015 at 10:26 AM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

1. It is possible because 1d03 is not a prerequisite to 1e03
2. No, but make sure your overall gpa this year doesn't go below 4 (and try to study harder so you don't fail anything next term).
3. Just take it in the summer and you'll be good to go. You need to finish all 10 courses to go into second year. Electives don't matter because you can take them anytime.

If you struggled a lot with 1d03 and feel like physics is not your strongest suit, drop 1e03 and take both in the summer (but you need to make sure they are both offered). But this will affect your chances of getting into a competitive program like civil or mechanical (talk to your advisor about this).
Old 12-23-2015 at 07:00 PM   #5
ralts40(4)

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
1. It is possible because 1d03 is not a prerequisite to 1e03
2. No, but make sure your overall gpa this year doesn't go below 4 (and try to study harder so you don't fail anything next term).
3. Just take it in the summer and you'll be good to go. You need to finish all 10 courses to go into second year. Electives don't matter because you can take them anytime.

If you struggled a lot with 1d03 and feel like physics is not your strongest suit, drop 1e03 and take both in the summer (but you need to make sure they are both offered). But this will affect your chances of getting into a competitive program like civil or mechanical (talk to your advisor about this).
Dont give out wrong information:

PHYSICS 1E03 - Waves, Electricity and Magnetic Fields

3 unit(s)
A course for engineering students. Oscillations and waves, interference; electrostatics, electric potential, circuit elements; magnetic fields.
Three lectures, one lab (three hours) every other week; one term
Prerequisite(s): PHYSICS 1D03 and registration in Engineering
Antirequisite(s): PHYSICS 2A03
Old 12-23-2015 at 09:36 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Literally ---- everyone is wrong on the first item (1D03 as a prereq for 1E03):

1E03 is open to those who failed 1D03 by way of an exemption from that Prerequisite.

In the past, student who failed 1D03 would simply request the exemption from some administrative official. Who that person is today is not clear to me, but I would start with the academic adviser...
Old 12-23-2015 at 10:21 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(4) View Post
Dont give out wrong information
Looks like the rules have changed because back in the day people who failed 1d03 easily took 1e03 and didn't need any waivers or a special permission.
I'm not giving wrong information, it's just outdated i guess..

mike_302 says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 12-24-2015 at 12:58 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Things change over time, which is why it is always a good idea to look up the information yourself.

If you rely on information from some random person on an internet forum and that information happens to be incorrect/outdated, you really have only yourself to blame, especially if it is information that is easily verifiable (such as the prerequisite to a course).

This is why it is better to speak with an academic advisor regarding these types of things, since presumably you are taking the matter of your academic future seriously. These forums aren't meant to be a substitute for google or for an academic advisor.