MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failing CHEM 1A03 roboticsguy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-21-2013 04:17 AM

Failing chem 1a03, math 1a03 and want to get into PNB

Old 12-24-2013 at 05:15 AM   #1
mac2017

Liked: 0 Times

Failing chem 1a03, math 1a03 and want to get into PNB
I'm failing math 1a03 and I don't even need the course. I accidentally took it thinking it was a course for students who took high school calculus. I'm in first year Life Sci and I wanted to specialize in PNB 2nd year, but I also failed chem 1a03 and only got a 5 in psych 1x03. I don't know what to do or who to contact, I hate the idea of waiting all break to speak with an academic advisor. I would like to know what my options are, or what the academic advisor would say to me. I feel like I completely destroyed my chances of getting accepted into not only PNB but all my programs of interest.
Old 12-24-2013 at 07:37 AM   #2
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

5 in 1X03? Failling 2 Prerequisite courses? Yeah I'd say you are screwed.
Old 12-24-2013 at 11:41 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Math 1A03 *is* a course for people who took high school calc. It's not the only course for people in that situation, but now that they've changed 1LS3, they're not too different.

Chem is a prereq for most programs in second year, so failing it limits your options quite a lot.

If I recall correctly, chem isn't a prereq for PNB. However, your grade in psych is too low to meet the requirements for admission. You can upgrade and hope that you do better the second time around, but if psych is limited enrollment (I can't remember if it is or isn't) then you also need a good enough average to beat out enough of your peers to get accepted.
Old 12-24-2013 at 12:16 PM   #4
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

they only accept a limited number of students in PNB. last year the cut off average was 7.1, the year before that it was 7.8. with two 0's and a 5 your average is a 2.5. even if you get a 12 in your other 2 courses your average will be a 5.8, that probably won't get you into PNB. but you can always apply after 2nd year after bringing your marks up.
Old 12-24-2013 at 12:36 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1 View Post
they only accept a limited number of students in PNB. last year the cut off average was 7.1, the year before that it was 7.8. with two 0's and a 5 your average is a 2.5. even if you get a 12 in your other 2 courses your average will be a 5.8, that probably won't get you into PNB. but you can always apply after 2nd year after bringing your marks up.
no. as long as they kill it in 2nd term and bring their CA to an 8 then i'd say their chances of getting into pnb are good especially since pnb doesnt require a really high avg.

MimeMime likes this.
Old 12-24-2013 at 01:19 PM   #6
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
no. as long as they kill it in 2nd term and bring their CA to an 8 then i'd say their chances of getting into pnb are good especially since pnb doesnt require a really high avg.
yeah i forgot about second term lol