MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:26 PM   #1
NatalyaOtaku

Liked: 5 Times

Fan Ex 2011
Soooooo Just wondering if anyone is actually planning on going to FanExpo this year?

I went last year but the number of attendees was ridiculous, people who pre-paid for their tickets couldn't even get in. You end up lining up outside for hours upon hours and then you cant leave once you're in, because there is a limit on the number of people allowed in the building!

Is it worth it?
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:46 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I went last year!

I agree with lineups being stupid though. I made the mistake of underestimating how busy it'd be so I had to wait in line (and miss a panel I wanted to go to), but once I got there I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm kind of a celebrity-meeting tool, so I got all my needs satiated. Meeting and getting pictures with/autographs from Summer Glau, Felicia Day, Johnny Yong Bosch, Yoshitaka Amano were worth the price I paid and more.

This year's guest list isn't as impressive as last year's (so far), but I've been waiting for Eliza Dushku to make it to one of these for a while, so I'll be going again. =p Hopefully spending more time outside of lineups too. It's now a four-day event though, so hopefully that'll help distribute the busyness.

Maybe I'll see you there?

Edit: Ahh wtf, Deluxe Passes are $79 now? D:
Old 06-13-2011 at 01:45 PM   #3
zorattiMatt

Liked: 1 Time

I'll be going, with a few other friends, this year. None of us, however, have been to FanExpo before! We are thinking of going on the Friday, or Saturday. I believe you about the lines, but I'll be honest, I don't think any of us know what to expect...?
Old 06-14-2011 at 12:54 AM   #4
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

The actor for draco malfoy from the harry potter movies are going to be there.

I don't like harry potter but alot of girls will want to go just to meet this guy...

Hence...expect HUGE LINES =(

I'm planning on going none the less though, just to check it out as I've never been before....Entropy, maybe I'll see you again lol
Old 06-15-2011 at 06:57 AM   #5
NatalyaOtaku

Yeah the elite passes are $79 now wtf!!!! ughhhhhhhhh BUT I guess I'll go....*grumbles* but I'm going to be there to line up at like....8am. I got there last year at 11 and I was at the back of the line. Luckily I had friends at the front xD but I'm not chancing it this year lol

See you there guys !

-cosplaying princess Leia ftw-
Old 06-21-2011 at 09:03 PM   #6
wilkincm

Liked: 0 Times

Why don't you just preregister online? That way you can guarantee yourself a ticket?

I'm going this year, but I'll probably only go inside/pay for a ticket for one day. Last year we hung around outside and it was still really fun
Old 06-23-2011 at 07:00 PM   #7
NatalyaOtaku

I was going to pre-reg but I was told that last year even people who pre-reg didnt get in because the rule about the volume of people allowed still applies :(
Old 06-23-2011 at 08:05 PM   #8
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

I've been going to anime/game conventions (not just Fan Expo but other ones during the year as well) for 7 years now. Fan Expo is /so/ no longer worth it. It's not just the price but the fact that the lines are ridiculous and they don't know how to handle the crowds properly. Last year may have just been a little overwhelming since I think Stan Lee came but in general any conventions held at the Toronto Metro Convention Centre have been slowly declining in quality. I think for one of the smaller anime conventions (MTAC) the staff actually closed off the area by barring people inside like it was a jail or something. So bottom line, no matter how much I love going to these things I'm not going to step foot into Fan Expo.

NatalyaOtaku likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 03:09 AM   #9
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

So if I get a ticket online for Thursday, I still have to get there at 8am in case the building capacity gets maxed out? T_T
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:37 AM   #10
N.Cheng

Even if the capacity doesn't max out I suggest you get there early or end up waiting in ridiculous lines even with pre-reg.
Old 08-07-2011 at 05:14 PM   #11
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Is it really that busy? I did not think it would be that busy. I am planning to go on Thursday, I guess I should pre-order a ticket?
Old 08-07-2011 at 05:18 PM   #12
N.Cheng

Umm well you can't say for sure obviously because less people may come this year but it usually is busy and last year just got really crazy with lines wrapped around the building (and that building is huge).
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:09 PM   #13
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
This year's guest list isn't as impressive as last year's (so far), but I've been waiting for Eliza Dushku to make it to one of these for a while, so I'll be going again.
But...Katee Sackhoff!
Old 09-14-2011 at 03:51 PM   #14
aMango

Liked: 0 Times

I've actually never went before. :\
I've had friends that went and they said that it was great and they enjoyed it so... -shrugs-