MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The end of unlimited DSL PHLN General Discussion 14 01-09-2011 10:25 AM
Closest rogers/telus/fido stores nearby Mac campus thdms9211 General Discussion 5 01-03-2011 09:59 AM
$5/month Unlimited Usenet Service! PHLN Computers & Tech 0 11-26-2010 12:10 AM

Fido new CityFido $35/unlimited zoned talk and texts

Old 02-16-2011 at 08:05 PM   #1
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Fido new CityFido $35/unlimited zoned talk and texts
Customers must be leaving for Wind/Mobilicity like mad for Fido to offer the $35/month unlimited talk and texting to non-retention customers. As in you can walk into a store or call up customer support and immediately have them sign you up to this new plan.

Their site havn't been properly updated.

This is their CityFido version which includes Zones like Wind/Mobilicity. It actually cover GTA down to Hamilton for those that commutes.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca /carri...cityfido-plan/

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Re-Launch-2011

Thank you Wind/Mobilicity for these new prices!

Last edited by PHLN : 02-16-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:07 PM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Never, settle for base rate plans.
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:10 PM   #3
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Gotta settle if you are a brand new customer.
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:14 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

idk.. the upgrade from 2k minutes to unlim minutes isnt that much
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:16 PM   #5
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
idk.. the upgrade from 2k minutes to unlim minutes isnt that much
Is that sarcasm?
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:18 PM   #6
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Gotta settle if you are a brand new customer.
That's what they want you to think.
People see these deals and think "wow, I'm getting such a good deal."

Considering how smartphones are dominating the market text and voice plans alone are way overpriced for what you get.
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:18 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

And Wind is now offering free data, so yea... don't think that many people are gonna jump ship that quickly.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-16-2011 at 08:20 PM   #8
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Wind's "Unstoppable" plan is much better value if you're into the "zone" type plans.

http://www2.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/m...bleplan.asp x

$45 gets you unlimited data, Canada wide talk, global text + CA/US picture messaging, voicemail, call id, call forwarding, missed call alerts, conference calling, etc.

That's Data, Canadawide, Picture Messaging, Voicemail and Caller ID for $10 more.

(can't vouch for quality of Wind - not a customer)
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:20 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

10$ more for unlimited data and other awesomness. This deal is not so impressive, no?
Coverage looks kinda shite to be honest.
Old 02-16-2011 at 09:06 PM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I really wish I hadn't bought an iPhone/signed a contract....
Old 02-16-2011 at 10:34 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I really wish I hadn't bought an iPhone/signed a contract....
I really can't reason why people sign contracts.. don't they know they're not going to be content with one phone for the next 3 years? You're essentially stuck paying like thousands of dollars for a phone, if you decide to get a new plan or phone, based on the fact you're 'saving' money by getting a 'discount' on a top-of-the-line phone..
Old 02-16-2011 at 10:39 PM   #12
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I really can't reason why people sign contracts.. don't they know they're not going to be content with one phone for the next 3 years? You're essentially stuck paying like thousands of dollars for a phone, if you decide to get a new plan or phone, based on the fact you're 'saving' money by getting a 'discount' on a top-of-the-line phone..
First of, its not just any phone. Its a iPhone.

If you are going to be using a provider for a long time, you would lose out money by NOT signing contract.

Stay with Fido for 3yrs. No contract. All you get is Fido Dollars.

Stay with Fido for 3yrs. Contract. You get Fido Dollars and the cost of a subsidized phone spread over 3yrs.
Old 02-17-2011 at 12:13 AM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Sign a contract and you're guaranteed to be paying that cost for the next three years, even as competition brings prices/new plans into the market... And the only way to get those new plans is to sign on again for another few years.

Most other countries don't have the ridiculous phone costs we do here, and never will because their system works for the people. They also don't have a CRTC regulating the crap out of their system, limiting providers to those that love the Contract way of life because it makes them ridiculous amounts of money.
Old 02-17-2011 at 12:44 AM   #14
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Sign a contract and you're guaranteed to be paying that cost for the next three years, even as competition brings prices/new plans into the market... And the only way to get those new plans is to sign on again for another few years.
That is incorrect actually.

There are retention plans that exist for current customers. In fact those plans and even discounts (free feature and/or monthly saving) can be very competitive depending on what you are looking for.

Cliu91 mentioned it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
I still disagree with his stands on the fact that new customers can have access to them easily. Guess his experience is better than mine. I been doing it for myself and a bunch of other people to compares... Its one of those "Your Mileage May Vary" thing.

There are two very long threads (1000+ pages) on RedFlagDeal on the subject of Retention Plans and how to bargain.

http://forums.redflagdeals.c om/rog...-plans-933329/

http://forums.redflagdeals.c om/fid...-plans-376936/

Quote:
Most other countries don't have the ridiculous phone costs we do here, and never will because their system works for the people. They also don't have a CRTC regulating the crap out of their system, limiting providers to those that love the Contract way of life because it makes them ridiculous amounts of money.
Everything depends on the consumers and voters. If you want something, you act on it. Like the recent Usage-Base Billing (UBB)...

I just wished Ontario have something similar to Quebec which was passed recently. Cancellation charge cannot exceed the cost of the subsidized price.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/moneytalks/2...come-move.html

Contracts, as evil as they are, are still needed to get people to jump onto more expensive device like smart phones.

No matter how logically you outline it to a normal consumer, they still tend to lean toward the $199 contract price instead of $649 regular price.

And I won't blame them. $649 is a load of money.

This is one of the reason why Wind Mobile had to come out with the Wind Tab deal. People just response better to ZERO DOLLAR handset.

I hope Wind will eventually manage to do it though! They been trying hard to outline the comparison.

Old 02-17-2011 at 12:50 AM   #15
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

One more thing.

The point of the thread wasn't to compare the values or prices. I was just so excited to see how the new companies are shifting the price point in our wireless industry.

I love when competition bring results. This is why I was so passionate in my hatred for Usage-Based Billing (UBB). It would have killed Internet competition immediately if it was passed.

PS: I'm with Wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Wind's "Unstoppable" plan is much better value if you're into the "zone" type plans.

http://www2.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/m...bleplan.asp x

$45 gets you unlimited data, Canada wide talk, global text + CA/US picture messaging, voicemail, call id, call forwarding, missed call alerts, conference calling, etc.

That's Data, Canadawide, Picture Messaging, Voicemail and Caller ID for $10 more.

(can't vouch for quality of Wind - not a customer)
Their reception is horrible. Horrible horrible... in comparison to the more established companies. I came to Wind from being 5 years with Rogers/Fido and 2 years with Telus.

If you do choose Wind, just make sure you understand what you are getting for the lower price.

I don't use my phone that much anymore (900+ minutes and just a bit over 2000 texts this month) so I don't mind giving up reliability and suffering a bit of frustration for the cheaper price (we are students after all!).

Last edited by PHLN : 02-17-2011 at 01:00 AM.