MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The end of unlimited DSL PHLN General Discussion 14 01-09-2011 10:25 AM
Closest rogers/telus/fido stores nearby Mac campus thdms9211 General Discussion 5 01-03-2011 09:59 AM
$5/month Unlimited Usenet Service! PHLN Computers & Tech 0 11-26-2010 12:10 AM

Fido new CityFido $35/unlimited zoned talk and texts

Old 02-17-2011 at 09:48 AM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I really can't reason why people sign contracts.. don't they know they're not going to be content with one phone for the next 3 years? You're essentially stuck paying like thousands of dollars for a phone, if you decide to get a new plan or phone, based on the fact you're 'saving' money by getting a 'discount' on a top-of-the-line phone..
I'm sure all these huge corporations would be happy to know that their marketing efforts are working.

I've had the iPhone for almost 3 years now. I text, use apps, call people... what more do I need a phone for, exactly? It astounds me that people need a new phone like every 6 months.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-17-2011 at 10:04 AM   #17
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I'm sure all these huge corporations would be happy to know that their marketing efforts are working.

I've had the iPhone for almost 3 years now. I text, use apps, call people... what more do I need a phone for, exactly? It astounds me that people need a new phone like every 6 months.
At this point (assuming you've actually had your phone for 3 years) your phone should slow, no longer supported, and missing a variety of useful features (GPS, a useful camera, 3G, etc). 3 years since the dawn of modern smartphones might as well be a lifetime. 3 years, when we only had access to dumbphones, was already enough to make basically any phone feel out of date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I really can't reason why people sign contracts.. don't they know they're not going to be content with one phone for the next 3 years? You're essentially stuck paying like thousands of dollars for a phone, if you decide to get a new plan or phone, based on the fact you're 'saving' money by getting a 'discount' on a top-of-the-line phone..
1.5 years ago there were really no options as far a providers went so there was little benefit to not signing a contract (and most companies offered upgrades after 2 years). There simply hasn't been a reason not to sign a contract in Canada for decades until Wind arrived.
Old 02-17-2011 at 10:07 AM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
At this point (assuming you've actually had your phone for 3 years) your phone should slow, no longer supported, and missing a variety of useful features (GPS, a useful camera, 3G, etc). 3 years since the dawn of modern smartphones might as well be a lifetime. 3 years, when we only had access to dumbphones, was already enough to make basically any phone feel out of date.

1.5 years ago there were really no options as far a providers went so there was little benefit to not signing a contract (and most companies offered upgrades after 2 years). There simply hasn't been a reason not to sign a contract in Canada for decades until Wind arrived.
o_O Not slow, supported by what..? lmao I don't even understand
camera, never used it to begin with
gps, don't need it, i'm good with google mapping something before I leave unless I have a time constraint, getting lost is generally a good adventure

I'll be the first one to say I got an iPhone way back in the day to be cool.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-17-2011 at 10:17 AM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

You an exceptional case, you walk around with that cracked screen, haha!

lawleypop likes this.
Old 02-17-2011 at 12:01 PM   #20
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I miss this option. Rogers and Fido recently (Summer) changed the rules in regard to phone upgrades. It now have to be a full 3 years. Not only that, they are forcing a mandatory upgrade fees alongside that.
Old 02-17-2011 at 12:42 PM   #21
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
I miss this option. Rogers and Fido recently (Summer) changed the rules in regard to phone upgrades. It now have to be a full 3 years. Not only that, they are forcing a mandatory upgrade fees alongside that.
I called a month ago and it was 2 years. What a load of bullshit.
Rogers is making me pissed, we should be able to upgrade our phones as we wish, without getting our legs ripped apart.

Simply put, Rogers is pretty much gouging us, and there's nothing we can do.
Old 02-17-2011 at 01:08 PM   #22
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Rogers is making me pissed, we should be able to upgrade our phones as we wish, without getting our legs ripped apart.

If possible, vote with your wallet.

Why did you think they started coming out with unlimited talks for retention and now for new customers right when Wind/Mobilicity came out and started making a difference?
Old 02-17-2011 at 01:36 PM   #23
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post

Just to clarify, the renewal window isn't exactly 3 years. You can only renew within 6 months of contract ending compares to 14 months before.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...t=fido+upgrade

With a $25 upgrade fees

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...fido+upgr ade