MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are some songs you've been enjoying recently? ZSimon Music 185 11-12-2013 11:02 PM
Anyone been to Egypt recently? Am I crazy to go there? melchizedek General Discussion 9 03-17-2010 06:33 PM

Finsten more recently....

Old 09-07-2012 at 03:01 PM   #1
Vuci
magnus

Liked: 0 Times

Finsten more recently....
Hey guys,

I'm taking a course by Laura Finsten (Maya Before Columbus) and I've read comments about her on ratemyprof (most of them pretain to the course 3as3 and around 2010 and 2009)... I'm hoping students who've had her before would kind of give me some good idea on how she teaches this particular course? Her lectures? And tests? How do I study best for this course in order to get a high mark?

Thank u

Last edited by Vuci : 09-07-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2012 at 05:30 PM   #2
veena_vd

Liked: 2 Times

I took 2VV3 (Maya before Columbus) and 2RP3 (Religion and Power in the Past) with Dr. Finsten. I didn't enjoy her teaching style; she can be a little mono-tone and goes off on tangents that never made sense to me. She had powerpoint slides with long text bullet points that she basically reiterated. Her slides weren't well organized and I sometimes got confused with her headings and sections.

That being said the test were still very doable as long as you went to class, copied her powerpoint slides (she doesn't post them) and studied before the test. For both classes, she gave us a study guide - basically a list of questions. These questions would appear word for word on the tests and exams. This is what I liked best about the course, as long as you are able to answer the questions in the study guide, you're guaranteed to do well.

Aside from her lectures, there is a textbook and she also posted articles on Avenue. This material is also tested, I tried to avoid these questions because they were generally more complex. Also, not being a humanities student, I never had a good understanding of the articles; so that made those questions harder for me. The Maya text was a dull read for the most part but some chapters were interesting. I have the text if your looking to buy...

Usually you have a choice between two or three questions in the tests and exam, another thing I liked about her testing style.

I definitely recommend the course: its an interesting topic, I learn't a lot, and its not very hard. I still have my notes, study guides and text, message me if you want them.

I wanted to take 3AS3 with her this them, but the structure is very different from 2VV3 and 2RP3 was and the topics don't interest me as much so I dropped after the first class (yesterday).

Hope that helped!

Vuci says thanks to veena_vd for this post.
Old 09-07-2012 at 06:43 PM   #3
Vuci
magnus

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks so much!! That really helped >.<

Btw, I've pm'd you veena.

Last edited by Vuci : 09-07-2012 at 06:51 PM.