MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year courses- notes!!! Kajeevan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-29-2011 10:32 PM
First Year Notes - Humanities nour.afara Academics 7 12-29-2011 06:32 AM
First Year Notes + Mugsi PROTIP Inferno First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 08-15-2010 10:42 PM

First Year Course Notes!

Old 07-04-2012 at 07:30 AM   #1
thuks0251

Liked: 10 Times

First Year Course Notes!
So, does anyone have old notes or ANY course material for the following courses: CHEM 1A03, CHEM 1AA3, MATH 1LS3, MATH 1B03, PHYSICS 1B03, FRENCH 1A06/2M06, PSYCH 1X03, BIO 1A03, BIO 1A03??

I would be forever grateful for anything that I can get as a study guide! I will make my own notes for sure, but having extra guidance is ALWAYS a plus

Thanks!!

Last edited by jhan523 : 07-04-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-04-2012 at 11:13 AM   #2
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Go to class+make your own. If someone gives you notes, you're not gonna go to class. Best way to be successful is to go to class

thuks0251 says thanks to drpatel for this post.
Old 07-04-2012 at 12:23 PM   #3
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

"The best way to be successful is to go to class" is a very subjective statement. Generally first year I went to all my classes and made my notes, second year I didn't go to class as often, and third year I barely came to campus except for important days or classes that I found were very interesting and worth listening to. Don't use other people's notes though, thats a bad idea, unless you actually read them properly you might not even understand what the person has written down, unless they made those notes identical to a powerpoint lecture in which case those are bad notes (and bad note taking skills). If you have a terrible professor it is sometimes a better idea to not waste your time with the lecture and instead use that time to catch up on the courseware. In most cases I find if you decide to not go to class on some days and instead just focus on the textbook and course work, you can be in just as good a position if not better.

/$0.02

Edit:
HA! I didn't even answer the question.. usually if you google the course code with the previous year appended you will get coursework from that year and sometimes solutions to problems, even if the questions aren't the same they can be very helpful and expand your thought process.

thuks0251 says thanks to newbo for this post.

thuks0251 likes this.
Old 07-04-2012 at 12:28 PM   #4
thuks0251

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbo View Post
"The best way to be successful is to go to class" is a very subjective statement. Generally first year I went to all my classes and made my notes, second year I didn't go to class as often, and third year I barely came to campus except for important days or classes that I found were very interesting and worth listening to. Don't use other people's notes though, thats a bad idea, unless you actually read them properly you might not even understand what the person has written down, unless they made those notes identical to a powerpoint lecture in which case those are bad notes (and bad note taking skills). If you have a terrible professor it is sometimes a better idea to not waste your time with the lecture and instead use that time to catch up on the courseware. In most cases I find if you decide to not go to class on some days and instead just focus on the textbook and course work, you can be in just as good a position if not better.

/$0.02

Edit:
HA! I didn't even answer the question.. usually if you google the course code with the previous year appended you will get coursework from that year and sometimes solutions to problems, even if the questions aren't the same they can be very helpful and expand your thought process.
In that case, how do you recommend I take my notes?? As in what kind of information should I get down in the lecture??

Thanks for your advice!!
Old 07-04-2012 at 12:34 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

that is something you need to figure out on your own. most first year science courses have slides that you can print with info on them already and u can take them to class and just fill stuff out on them.
Old 07-04-2012 at 12:40 PM   #6
thuks0251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
that is something you need to figure out on your own. most first year science courses have slides that you can print with info on them already and u can take them to class and just fill stuff out on them.
lol, ok thanks!! If you don't mind me asking, which course did you find most difficult??
Old 07-04-2012 at 12:48 PM   #7
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuks0251 View Post
In that case, how do you recommend I take my notes?? As in what kind of information should I get down in the lecture??

Thanks for your advice!!
Depending on your course, you may very well have all the slides from in-class on the course website. If you do, there is literally no reason to write anything on the slides down, only copy down things you think are important that the professor actually says, sometimes they expand on the theory or concept, thats when its important to take notes. After you get some practice taking notes, you will get to know which type of things the professor says are likely to appear on the test (they sound like answers to questions). For courses like Math, I would write everything down, specifically the examples they do, especially the ones where they stress "I see this mistake all the time", those are definitely going to show up on your tests and quizzes. For courses with no lecture notes and only board written things, copy down (in point form) the key things, maybe not definitions but perhaps a theory, anything where they start listing off things I would write down maybe a very small description next to them. Try to keep it as short and concise as possible, and perhaps start using short forms, if you don't copy fast enough they move to the next slide, you don't need to write everything down generally, its encouraged that you don't. Write down key words and phrases, always write down theorems, theories, fundamental principles, and key equations, LISTEN more than you WRITE. The point is to go back to your textbook and be able to look things up for clarification.

I can tell you for third year I had about one 100 page notebook that I used for ALL my courses. In my case it was more about reading through the textbook and retaking notes to learn the material. I found it quite helpful.

Hope that helps.

thuks0251 says thanks to newbo for this post.
Old 07-04-2012 at 12:52 PM   #8
thuks0251

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbo View Post
Depending on your course, you may very well have all the slides from in-class on the course website. If you do, there is literally no reason to write anything on the slides down, only copy down things you think are important that the professor actually says, sometimes they expand on the theory or concept, thats when its important to take notes. After you get some practice taking notes, you will get to know which type of things the professor says are likely to appear on the test (they sound like answers to questions). For courses like Math, I would write everything down, specifically the examples they do, especially the ones where they stress "I see this mistake all the time", those are definitely going to show up on your tests and quizzes. For courses with no lecture notes and only board written things, copy down (in point form) the key things, maybe not definitions but perhaps a theory, anything where they start listing off things I would write down maybe a very small description next to them. Try to keep it as short and concise as possible, and perhaps start using short forms, if you don't copy fast enough they move to the next slide, you don't need to write everything down generally, its encouraged that you don't. Write down key words and phrases, always write down theorems, theories, fundamental principles, and key equations, LISTEN more than you WRITE. The point is to go back to your textbook and be able to look things up for clarification.

I can tell you for third year I had about one 100 page notebook that I used for ALL my courses. In my case it was more about reading through the textbook and retaking notes to learn the material. I found it quite helpful.

Hope that helps.
Thanks so much!!!

Afsha-noon likes this.