MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Experience Series Part Three: Ken kenneth526 First Year Experiences 5 10-08-2008 05:29 PM
First Year Experience Series Part Four: Sam samantha__ First Year Experiences 4 07-28-2008 10:39 AM
First Year Experience Series Part Two: Eva Eva C First Year Experiences 0 07-07-2008 06:59 PM
First Year Experience Series Part One: Danielle lorend First Year Experiences 11 07-04-2008 02:41 PM

First Year Experience Series Part Eight: Feona

Old 07-22-2009 at 09:08 AM   #1
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

By FEONA GRANT, MACINSIDERS

It would be the ending of one chapter, and the beginning of another. University is the beginning of the end, it would be the last chapter before becoming an adult with a world of responsibilities. What I didn't realize, is that the responsibilities would begin to pile on as soon as September rolled around.

My first year at McMaster was a bittersweet one, but overall really great. All summer I was really psyched up for Welcome Week. I thought I would meet tons of people. I would be moving into my own apartment with my friend and everything would be great. Unfortunately this did not come to pass… I am a pretty shy person around people I don't know. I thought that coming to university would change that, but it didn't.

I arrived on campus the first day of WW. I saw tons of people milling around, groups in coloured jumpsuits, screaming and chanting. I got my swag and my MacPass wrist-band. I heard that SOCS (Society of Off-Campus Students) would be meeting in the Student Centre. Once I got there, it seemed like everyone had already made friends and were in their clique-y groups. I was too intimidated to approach them and let's just say it wasn't pretty. I actually invited some friends from Toronto to go to the free concerts with me (Tokyo Police Club was here last year), and WW didn't turn out to be so bad… unfortunately I didn't meet that many people! You shouldn't be afraid to approach people. There are others just like you, new to the environment and unsure of what to do. Try and strike up a conversation about where you're from and what program you're in - and from there, it's cool. Welcome Week is an experience you might not want to miss out on, even if you're not on campus. There are tons of events for both on-campus and off-campus students, so be sure to break out of your shell for a little bit for the sake of fun!

Classes began. 'Wow, there is a lot of people here…' That will probably be your first thought. Don't be intimidated or feel overwhelmed though. I always sat up at the front, near the professor. Occasionally, I would sit with friends in the back. BAD IDEA. Everyone is on Facebook, having loud conversations that you can't help but eavesdrop on, and it's ridiculously distracting. I mean, if someone beside you is having a conversation about how their roommate always brings their boyfriend for hanky panky - you're going to want to listen, just a little bit. (This happened to me once, and I felt uncomfortable because I didn't know if I should laugh or not - I just smiled to myself).

Tutorials are a relief because it's more reminiscent of a high school class, smaller and group based. You get lots of brownie points (and actual marks at times) for participating in discussion. This becomes more important in later years. It's a good idea to do so, even if you think you might be totally wrong. Doesn't mean you should talk about rainbows and rabbits though - unless the situation calls for it. A lot of the times I was scared to answer questions because I thought I'd be wrong, but usually I was right and cursed myself for not saying anything.

Since I developed some good study habits during high school, I was somewhat saved from the pressures of first year. But oh man... You're reading whole textbooks in literally three months, one or two chapters each WEEK. I was really shocked by how fast first year went by and I'm so happy I didn't slack off (Okay I slacked off in Poli Sci, but that class was evil!). That's where not going to parties and getting smashed 4 days a week came in handy. I met a lot of people who basically asked me for all my notes so that they didn't have to go class, did all their studying last minute and… well failed. Do not do this. Not only do you make yourself look like an idiot, but you're sacrificing very important grades.

With this in mind, don't be afraid to talk to professors and TA's. Most of them are insanely nice and do want to see you pass and get good grades, but you have to meet them halfway. You can always go to them for advice too. I asked my Linguistics TA last year about a program she was in, and she sent me a huge e-mail that basically sold the program to me, and she was extremely nice about it. That was when I was having a quarter-life crisis too.

You might feel pressured, near the end of the year when it comes time to choose a major. It's heart-wrenching at times, not knowing what you want to do in the future. I remember coming home from class one day crying (it was kind of embarrassing as I was on the bus), because I was torn about what I wanted to do, I was stuck between law and linguistics. Talk to your friends, your professors, your family - and research everything that you think you're interested in and look for jobs in that field, and if you know anyone in the field - talk to them too! In the end, I know you will find something that you like. Don't worry if it doesn't come to you right away, you can always switch programs in subsequent years.

Living on my own, I was forced to do a lot for myself. Preparing food, buying food, laundry, dishes, cleaning everywhere, managing money, dealing with people (like my shady landlord) without my parents. My mother said that she thinks of me as being older than my brother (who is 35 and still living at home) because I've suddenly moved out and can do everything on my own. It's nice hearing that from parents, especially those who are overprotective. So don't run home every weekend! Learn to be on your own and impress your folks.

The things you should keep in mind are, don't be intimidated by anything. Be fearless, and try new things or you'll never pop the bubble that is your old life. Always stay on top of your work, don't rely on others to pull you through. Keep an open mind always. University, and McMaster specifically is diverse in many different ways and as hard it may be, learn to broaden your horizons a little bit.

And when you get a good grade, smile and be proud of yourself - you made it, in university, and if you keep it up it's smooth sailing from there.

anon491, goodnews.inc, jamescw1234, lorend, NickAcc, niteskie, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-22-2009 at 11:16 AM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Throughout my high school career, I can't recall one instance where I sat in the front of the class. This brilliant girl I know though (who's going to McMaster for Life Sciences) recommended it to me in Grade 12, and after reading this it reminded me of that. I intend to try it, though it'll be a bit uncomfortable at first. If it pays off though, I think the initial awkardness of not running to the back of the room would be worth it

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-22-2009 at 11:33 AM   #3
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

great article!thanks!
Old 07-22-2009 at 11:42 AM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It's funny how in the upper years everyone started sitting near the front...so instead I had to sit near the back to get some peace and quiet xD

Quote:
Tutorials are a relief because it's more reminiscent of a high school class, smaller and group based.
Is this a relief? I was playing around with the idea of running my tutorials as a 'transition' from highschool to university, where I teach for half and let them work on their homework for the other half while I answer specific questions on the board.

Thanks Feona, in addition to an excellent FYE thread, you made me realize I could post on macinsiders and ask for feedback. (: (in a separate thread)

feonateresa likes this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:59 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Mike, it's a complete relief when tutorial feels like high school. This way, you're comfortable in asking questions and participating like you would in a highschool class. That class scenario sounds perfect and just like my math classes back in the day, I'm sure you'll be great.
Old 07-24-2009 at 01:50 PM   #6
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

Really great article. Note to self: MUST BE ACTIVE AND PARTICIPATE!!! That seems to be the key in university... oh and don't procrastinate... that would be the hard part of university for me.

Just wondering what made you choose linguistics? I'm taking linguistics 1A03 this year, how was it? Any tips? I've read the course review already and it seems great but anything else I should know?
- Moulton Hall

feonateresa likes this.
Old 07-24-2009 at 03:21 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucif3x View Post
Really great article. Note to self: MUST BE ACTIVE AND PARTICIPATE!!! That seems to be the key in university... oh and don't procrastinate... that would be the hard part of university for me.

Just wondering what made you choose linguistics? I'm taking linguistics 1A03 this year, how was it? Any tips? I've read the course review already and it seems great but anything else I should know?
Linguistics... well, what can I say. Like I said in the article, I was heading full force toward law school, but then I took linguistics and it changed my perspective. Everyone pretty much told me that you can't do anything with linguistics, so I thought about minoring in it at first or double majoring with sociology. Then I heard about the Linguistic Cognitive Science program, where I could eventually become a speech-language pathologist after a masters degree. It was a blend of linguistics and psychology and it sounds awesome. I talked to some profs and students in it, and they sold me on it. That's when I decided to switch.

1A03 is a really great class. Is Dr. Moro your prof? She's really great. There's also a guy named Will who is your instructional assistant and amazingly helpful. 1A03 involves a lot of memorization, not tough memorization really, but you have to be on top of it. Relatively easy quizzes and assignments every week, and lectures that are generally interesting and fun because of Dr. Moro. (I'm taking a 3rd year linguistics class, and I have her this year so I'm really excited!). Hmm what else... you're also exposed to other languages, not just English. Thankfully there's no essays, just a midterm and a final that you should be fine for if you kept up with the work during the term.

A tip for that class... I had a lot of fun looking notes to remember different sounds, symbols, vowels and rules of language. Oh, and don't use a laptop... it becomes difficult to use all the symbols after a time. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask. :]

crucif3x says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:01 PM   #8
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

Oh nice... now you've sold me on the program LOL I honestly don't know what I'm going to do but oh well. I still have some time... kinda... xD Thanks for the help! You still have your first year linguistic textbook?
- Moulton Hall
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:16 PM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucif3x View Post
Oh nice... now you've sold me on the program LOL I honestly don't know what I'm going to do but oh well. I still have some time... kinda... xD Thanks for the help! You still have your first year linguistic textbook?
You know, I wouuuld sell it to you buuut I am reviewing it for my phonetics & phonology classes next year as well as classes in third year, but I'll take some good notes and pass it onto you if you'd like. :] I'll give it to you during our little IA meeting. And yeah, you totally have some time to choose. If you're taking psych this year, you're set for it. :] And if not, that's chill. I didn't take psych either, so I'm shadowing the program now.
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:26 PM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

It's definitely interesting how in first year NO ONE sits in the front, and now in upper years it's impossible to get a seat in the front row.

Good Article!