MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Experience Series Part Three: Ken kenneth526 First Year Experiences 5 10-08-2008 05:29 PM
First Year Experience Series Part Five: Nicole ferreinm First Year Experiences 8 08-09-2008 08:04 PM
First Year Experience Series Part Four: Sam samantha__ First Year Experiences 4 07-28-2008 10:39 AM
First Year Experience Series Part Two: Eva Eva C First Year Experiences 0 07-07-2008 06:59 PM
First Year Experience Series Part Eleven: Ron Chad First Year Experiences 0 07-27-2007 07:49 PM

First Year Experience Series Part Twelve: Neha

Old 10-19-2009 at 03:27 PM   #1
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

First Year Experience Series Part Twelve: Neha
My First Few Weeks at Mac

BY NEHA D. MACINSIDERS

Three words -Oh My Goodness.

I say that only because I didn't expect it to be so intense. The first few days into the week I already had (what felt like) a 100 little assignments to do on ELM. Skills labs for bio, quizzes for chemistry AND bio, readings on top of readings, my regular labs starting in a week and midterms already?! And I have to check ELM everyday because there is always something new on there!

I felt everything was moving too fast for me and I JUST started. I know in high school I did NOT have this much to do in the first few weeks. What really shocked me was the fact that midterms were so soon- which meant that I had to start preparing NOW. With five courses to keep on top of, I started to get stressed. How was I going to get through 5 chapters of assumed knowledge in chemistry and read chap 3,4 in advance for bio, along with psychology lectures (each of which takes me 2 hours to make notes on), math homework and assignments (due every week), prepare for my chem. lab and bio skills lab ALONG with studying for midterms? NOT to mention trying to get involved with clubs, sports and opportunities within my rez and my faculty.

I also have to try to prepare for all those iClicker questions that count for marks. I ALWAYS panic when I see those on the screen; I hate the time-pressure. Did I mention I have two labs together in one week also to prepare for?

This was definitely not high school.

I will admit that I miss high school; miss the time spent doing nothing, the expectations that weren't as high as they are now and those countless worry-free evenings.

But, my first few weeks felt great because I loved the feeling being in University. I loved the freedom, the independence, the environment, the opportunity to make new friends, the new experiences and the ability to learn new things. I absolutely enjoyed Welcome Week- Airbands, PJ parade, faculty day, the screaming and yelling and cheering, and the patriotism we showed being Mac students. I learned about some truly awesome groups such as the Maroons and the IRC etc. and I enjoy the feeling of being part of a huge and caring community.

My first few weeks here at Mac was definitely a mix- a mix of hard work and fun. Obviously things are new to me right now and yes, I feel like I have too much work to do, but I also know that because it is my first year, I have a chance to learn more and prepare more for my next years.

So, what did I learn from all of this?

To Work Hard and Play Hard.
Old 10-19-2009 at 05:44 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yes... this is when you begin to really miss your childhood. No more cries of, "I wish I were grown up!"

Fa11enAnge1 likes this.