MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year textbooks (life sci) pdf stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-23-2011 12:35 AM

First year life sci textbooks

Old 05-12-2013 at 03:06 PM   #1
patriots4eva

Liked: 5 Times

First year life sci textbooks
I just accepted life sci for 2012-2013 and was wondering if anyone in this program could answer my question.

I've heard that there are textbooks that people buy and the profs never use them... I'm just wondering about the core life sci courses if I should skip out on some textbooks?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:12 PM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Chemistry 1A03/1AA3 - do not need the textbook, but Mastering Chem can be a nice mark booster.

Biology 1A03/1M03 - you'll probably need it.

Psych 1X03 - courseware isn't necessary per se (but a lot of people use it to make notes). there is textbook-exclusive content tested so you might want that (though it's possible to get a decent/good mark with just memorizing the online modules

Math 1LS3 - good for understanding concepts and practice problems, but courseware can get you through it (I didn' take math 1A03 so I don't know about that)

Physics 1B03 - I personally didn't buy the book so I can't say either way (I didn't do amazing in the course though; I got an 8)

Welcome to Mac!
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:18 PM   #3
patriots4eva

Thanks! U said u got an 8...what does that mean??
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:20 PM   #4
chinb3

Liked: 2 Times

Physics1B03 - If you are lucky, the profs will use the textbook where there is an online version of it so there is no need to buy it, it is really useful for learning the material

Physics1L03- Kinda useful if you haven't taken physics in grade 12 but will help with theory that may be on the exam

Math1LS3 - I would recommend not buying the textbook but it may come in handy if you aren't strong in maath

Psych 1X03/1XX3 - Spiral-bound coursebooks weren't that necessary but useful for organizing notes each web module and sometimes had questions used as examples on weekly tests. Textbooks for each course is highly recommended, lots of questions from textbooks on tests that web modules do not cover

patriots4eva says thanks to chinb3 for this post.
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:21 PM   #5
LTHL

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-13/pg145.html

patriots4eva says thanks to LTHL for this post.
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:21 PM   #6
chinb3

McMaster University uses a 12 point scale for grading. http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-13/pg145.html

Old 05-12-2013 at 03:32 PM   #7
patriots4eva

Would you guys recommend waiting to buy textbooks or get them b4 school starts?
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:37 PM   #8
RitchieLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots4eva View Post
Would you guys recommend waiting to buy textbooks or get them b4 school starts?
Definitely wait to buy, even if you can, wait a week or two into the class and judge for yourself then. I made the mistake of buying everything before classes and I only ended up using only 1 or 2 things!

patriots4eva says thanks to for this post.
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:39 PM   #9
patriots4eva

Are there a lot of textbooks?? If I waited it out would they get sold out?
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:46 PM   #10
patriots4eva

Also are there any used book stores off campus that are cheap??
Old 05-12-2013 at 04:34 PM   #11
RitchieLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots4eva View Post
Also are there any used book stores off campus that are cheap??
For first year Life Sci, there can be a lot of books that they tell you to buy, but of course, just pick up the ones you need. Don't worry about waiting out because the campus bookstore will always order more and they'll come in the next week. Besides, it'd be better to wait out and save some cash instead of having a useless textbook, no? As for used book stores off campus, I'm not too sure if there are any. Definitely check out some Facebook groups or the marketplace section here on Macinsiders though because people are always selling textbooks there and you'll definitely be able to find some deals there!

patriots4eva says thanks to for this post.
Old 05-12-2013 at 04:35 PM   #12
chinb3

I suggest waiting until you are certain that the course/you require the textbook then try to buy them used off of people using macinsiders or facebook and then buy whatever you can't get off of people in the bookstore like masteringchem/bio codes.

Old 05-12-2013 at 08:46 PM   #13
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Textbooks are expensive. If you want, you could always split the cost with a friend and share the book :O.

patriots4eva says thanks to Angoose for this post.
Old 05-12-2013 at 08:49 PM   #14
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Always wait till u go to the first day of class. U can get it cheaper buying from upper years or online such as abebooks (depending on book). MI or groups such as mcmaster textbook facebook kajiji etc. DO NOT buy em brand new unless u wana collect em save em forever and ever

patriots4eva says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 05-17-2013 at 08:19 PM   #15
achhin

MATH 1LS3 - courseware, don't really need textbook unless you don't plan on going to classes
PSYCH 1X03 - textbook highly recommended, many things were tested that were not in lecture notes
PSYCH 1XX3 - just take good notes from the lectures, buy the courseware if you're the type of person who likes to take notes by hand
PHYSICS 1B03 - I recommend the textbook. It was helpful for examples and explaining concepts that were unclear in class
KIN 1Y03/1YY3 - use the same textbook. I highly recommend it, I loved this textbook and you'll need it for the weekly tests and labs
BIO 1A03/1M03 - you will definitely need both volumes of the textbook
CHEM 1A03/1AA3 - probably won't need the textbook, Mastering Chem is highly recommended for extra marks (similar to doing an assignment)

patriots4eva says thanks to achhin for this post.