MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year textbooks (life sci) pdf stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-23-2011 12:35 AM

First year life sci textbooks

Old 05-17-2013 at 08:35 PM   #16
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Most (if not all) first year books are useless after the course you had them for. If you want to save 600-800 dollars and don't mind reading pdfs then it is very easy to find these files online or ask around. Personally buying the books wasn't worth it for me since we never really used them though to each their own. If you have trouble finding pdfs pm me if you need to.

Cheers and have a great summer!

patriots4eva says thanks to Atheist? for this post.
Old 05-17-2013 at 09:33 PM   #17
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

There is a facebook page that you can use to buy/sell used textbooks: facebook.com/groups/425709655081

MAKE SURE THAT THE EDITION YOU ARE BUYING USED IS STILL BEING USED!!!! Ex: The 2011/12 version of Physics 1L03 textbook was replaced last year! --dont buy the first edition because it is NOTHING like the new one.

Chem 1A03/1AA3: textbook is good for both courses and I actually used it a lot! If you do Mastering Chem (an optional activity) you can basically get approximately 8% of your grade per semester instead of having to take an exam that is worth significantly more. This is one of the books that you will want to buy straight from Titles because the online Mastering Chem comes with it (otherwise you'd have to buy it separately and you will spend more money than you save).

Bio 1A03 also has a version of "Mastering Bio" which is another way for easy marks so you may want to buy it from titles but you will definitely need both a Bio 1A03 and Bio 1M03 textbook. What I did was buy my Bio 1A03 textbook and then second semester I just traded textbooks with a friend who had taken Bio 1M03 first semester so it worked out well.

DONT buy your books before you go to your classes. Wait a class or two before you commit to the course...if you decide to drop a course you don't want to have bought the textbook for it and opened it with no way of returning it.

Many professors will also use an "iclicker" which is optional in many courses like Chem and Bio but is mandatory in others (like Physics 1L03). You can buy these used from older students and reregister them rather than buying a new one (about $40).

patriots4eva says thanks to LauraV for this post.