MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

First year physique :)

Old 08-17-2011 at 11:16 AM   #31
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Are there healthy meal options? At home I don't eat anything fried, cheesy or oily. I'd much rather not eat anything than eat unhealthy things. So are there healthy options at school?
Old 08-17-2011 at 01:00 PM   #32
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleria View Post
Are there healthy meal options? At home I don't eat anything fried, cheesy or oily. I'd much rather not eat anything than eat unhealthy things. So are there healthy options at school?
The Bridges cafe sells the most healthy food on campus and its vegetarian too!
Old 08-17-2011 at 01:48 PM   #33
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple2309 View Post
The Bridges cafe sells the most healthy food on campus and its vegetarian too!
As long as you don't eat sweet potato fries and crispy soy nuggets all day. Fried is fried :p

That said... Both of those items are amazing!

I. ****ing. Love. Bridges.
Old 08-17-2011 at 03:06 PM   #34
Aaronkwong

Liked: 0 Times

5 meals/day is a very good idea
Old 08-17-2011 at 03:24 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronkwong View Post
5 meals/day is a very good idea
As long as it's the same caloric intake as 3 meals/day (or whatever normal daily intake you have).
Old 08-17-2011 at 06:29 PM   #36
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post
Good points, but the last one is invalid.
This is generally when you explain specifically what is invalid and why.

If it's on the "5 meals per day" bit, then sure, many dietitians say that you can still eat 3 meals a day so long as you space them evenly and maintain normal caloric intake. However, most of them, from what I've seen, side with the 5 meal plan. I don't think anyone can argue for eating meals right before bed though.

Another tip: if you're gonna eat fast food, try to do it in the afternoon. The walking you do for the rest of the day will help work it off.
Old 08-17-2011 at 06:45 PM   #37
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
This is generally when you explain specifically what is invalid and why.

If it's on the "5 meals per day" bit, then sure, many dietitians say that you can still eat 3 meals a day so long as you space them evenly and maintain normal caloric intake. However, most of them, from what I've seen, side with the 5 meal plan. I don't think anyone can argue for eating meals right before bed though.

Another tip: if you're gonna eat fast food, try to do it in the afternoon. The walking you do for the rest of the day will help work it off.
It's actually the eating meals right before bed part that's invalid (well both parts are invalid, the eating late one is just more invalid)...
http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcou...ism-myths.html

If you're willing to read a scientific journal article, I can link you to the primary research behind this
Old 08-17-2011 at 07:28 PM   #38
rosered93

Liked: 1 Time

At the risk of oversimplifying things slightly, it's basically calories in vs. calories out.
This calculator designed for our age group: http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/bodycomp/bmiz2.html will tell you roughly how many calories you need to maintain your weight. (Start at lightly active, if you workout during the year, up it.) On that note: don't fall into the women's-magazine-advice-induced-trap of thinking you can only eat, like, 1200 calories a day. That's a load of crap.
This page http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/men...nutrition.html will link you to the nutrition information for quite a few on-campus eateries.

You don't have to count calories to the decimal, but having a general idea of what you're consuming will help you create a balance. So, if you know you need about 2200 calories to maintain your weight, and you grab a chocolate chip muffin as your 3-pm pick-me-up (515 calories), don't go for the Bridges butter chicken at dinner (950 calories).

Oh, and, don't skip breakfast with the hope of saving up calories--you'll just end up starving at noon and making food choices that are less than rational. Also: your body doesn't care what time you eat. You won't get fat if you eat at 1:00am--unless you're consuming an excess of calories.

On the exercise front: it's good to do, but you can maintain your weight without it. But it's still really good to do. For stress-relief, for muscle mass, for bone health, for the ability to have another 400 or so calories to "spend".
Old 08-17-2011 at 08:08 PM   #39
vinny06

Liked: 3 Times

If you're worried about gaining weight during first year, ask to be placed in Matthews Hall during your second year. You'll lose what you gained and then some since you'll be forced to take the stairs everyday...like me :|
Old 08-17-2011 at 08:40 PM   #40
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
It's actually the eating meals right before bed part that's invalid (well both parts are invalid, the eating late one is just more invalid)...
Fair enough. But she did state that "spreading your calories out evenly throughout the day will help support a stabilized energy level." Many intensive workout programs encourage the 5-meals-a-day plan to prevent fatigue and boost performance.

Quote:
If you're willing to read a scientific journal article, I can link you to the primary research behind this
Sure, I'll give it a whirl.

Last edited by Grover : 08-17-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2011 at 09:38 PM   #41
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:

The advice is still good, because most people don't eat like they're taking part in a study. In reality, when people eat late, it's usually a snack that is in addition to their regular meals, not as a replacement. Cutting out that behaviour is a good way to keep your daily calories down.
Old 08-17-2011 at 09:50 PM   #42
ariang

Liked: 0 Times

No the freshmen 15 is pretty much a myth if you want it to be. I was already kindda heavy going in so i wasn't gonna gain, as well i wasn't really ready to have a low GPA...
It's just about finding a routine that works and sticking to it. Just make sure you avoid the crap at the school caf, get into a routine and stick to it. If you keep up your health and well being you feel better and more motivated to study (higher GPA ftw!) and you'll be happier over all and people will like you better (Social life ftw!). It's just a bit hard to get into a habit at first but stick to it and it'll become second nature.
Old 08-17-2011 at 09:52 PM   #43
Nuelonas

Liked: 5 Times

Meal plan is the devil here !! I've been checking the website, not alot of healthy stuff to eat.

5 meals a day just keeps your metabolism high that's what i read somewhere
Old 08-17-2011 at 11:00 PM   #44
StevenLiang

Liked: 2 Times

Just go to the gym between classes. I'm sure you have 1 or 2 hour breaks in some days. Or go in the mornings. Trust me, I have NOTHING better to do in those 2 hours than to go to the gym. You can't study (unless you're cramming) because you're still waiting for another class, and you can't relax because... you're still waiting for another class. So go to the gym! Go in the morning preferably because you'll feel like a million bucks the rest of your day.
Old 08-17-2011 at 11:35 PM   #45
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I lifted weights 2 or 3 times a week, and i found as long as you walk a lot or bike instead of taking a bus (i biked in -15 to the grocery store) then it wont be much of an issue.

As for diet, i ate 2 large meals a day, one at breakfast and one 4 or 5 hours later (sometime breakfast was at noon ) . i found if you do this and have a smaller meal 3 or 4 hours before you go to bed, you wont gain much weight even if you excersise little.

i gained like 5 lbs, and thats cause at the end i had to use up all my meal plan :b