MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
second year med rad textbooks twitterbird Academics 1 08-12-2010 06:11 PM
Textbooks for first year!!! tan_90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-22-2009 03:30 PM

First Year Textbooks

Old 08-01-2007 at 05:08 PM   #1
Amara

Liked: 0 Times

First Year Textbooks
Hey...is it better to get used texbooks, or newer ones for the science program..i heard they dont change much yr to yr..
if i do decide to get used textbooks...how and where would i purchase it..and do they sell out fast?
Old 08-01-2007 at 05:50 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You can see what textbooks you need as of August 13th, when the course lists go up on the Titles website.

Personally, I think getting used textbooks is the way to go, even if you can't buy them directly from someone and have to buy them directly through Titles.

You can do it a few ways:
- via Titles
- via you WW reps
- via marketplace listings on facebook
- via ebay, amazon etc
- if the buy back webpage is operational this year you can do it that way as well (someone check for me, please?)
Old 08-01-2007 at 06:58 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Check out the article on Used Textbooks here. It explains almost everything

Used textbooks are MUCH cheaper, I always buy used. You should go early (1-2 weeks before classes) to get the best condition used books. They sell within the first week so buy fast. Remember, you can returned used books for a full refund as long as they aren't custom courseware (which is photocopied booklets that are specific to each course. Buy those last)
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:02 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I've actually never had that much of an issue myself in trying to get textbooks...could it be because your program is so small Chad? (MM).

You should have no problem as a science student getting used books...there are LOTS of science students, and all of them take the same courses year after year. As long as the texts don't change this year, you'll be fine Amara*
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:26 PM   #5
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

There's no way that Titles will run out of books (new or used) for the courses that we need right? Cause I can't go any time before school starts.
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:45 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Titles has run out of books yes.
BUT. Don't panic!!! They inform the instructor, so the instructor can't do anything from the text (ie assign work, or tests/quizzes based soley on textual material) at that time as not all the students have the proper resources (ie the text). I've only ever heard of that happening twice in upper year classes, though. It is not a common thing, so DON'T WORRY.

And remember don't buy your books before you know what the texts are you need for your specific section. That's really, really important!!
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:53 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Book list for required texts will be posted on Titles' website on Aug 13th!
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:58 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Therefore, wait until at least the 13th!!
Old 08-01-2007 at 11:01 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Also, Titles orders books based on the number of students who are taking the classes. Soo if 300 people are taking Bio 1A03 for example, generally they will have at least that many ordered; the "problem" is when more people sign up for the courses after the textbook order date, and thus not everyone is able to get their book right away. (which happened to me last year).

So, once they find out how many more people have added the course, the order at least that many copies of the book. Then they come to the store, they are purchased, and life continues on as normal.
Old 08-01-2007 at 11:12 PM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

MM may be small, but we're one tight crew
Old 08-02-2007 at 06:23 AM   #11
Amara

LOL
arite thnks!
Old 08-02-2007 at 08:16 AM   #12
Amara

i was looking at the list,and say for example bio 1a03 it says Optional Materials: FREEMAN S - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE : STUDY GUIDE FREEMAN S - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE VOL 1 (TEXT/CW/GRADEBOOK) FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOLS 1 AND 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL 1)(WITH SHORT GUIDE)

WOULD I BUY ALL OF THAT>>or would the prof tell us what we need exactly ?
Old 08-02-2007 at 09:47 AM   #13
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

hmm...yea the optional materials like study guides...are those necessary?
Umm...i think i heard that its best not to buy textbooks until after school starts...is there a possibility that the text books might change after August 13th when the list becomes available on titles?
Old 08-02-2007 at 10:01 AM   #14
hydropost

I'm currently going into second year life science, so for all you science people out there concerned about text books here is some advice...

Wait until your prof tells you what text to buy on the first or second day of class. There is usually no homework on these days anyways so you really won't need anything until the first full week. I suggest buying them as soon as possible though because there is a mad rush on friday to buy books. Look to see if you can get them used but the Tank (where you get your used books usually) tends to sell out fast and all you are left with is the very new and very exspensive copies.

Another route is to look for posts around campus by upper year students selling books. I will be selling some first year science books myself. This ways could be more beneficial to you because you can probably negotiate a resonable price.

hope that helps!

~Amanda
Old 08-02-2007 at 10:14 AM   #15
hydropost

I also forgot to mention that studies are usually optional but very useful to study with for tests. It's really up to you if you want them.

The other reason why it's a good idea to wait until you prof lets you know what books to buy is because the version number changes and sometimes you can get away with using an older version because it has the same content but you should check with you prof first.

~Amanda