how that street fighter 4 is out,,, kudougw Gaming 5 09-12-2009 12:44 PM

Flying in a Fighter Jet

Old 09-14-2009 at 10:07 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Any robot in general. The idea of having something crushing cars beneath me is entirely exciting. More recently, the mech (though I don't exactly love the movie, I will admit this machine was fantastic) from District 9 was amazing.
Mech are awesome, I would love to pilot a gundam mobile suit

I would also love to be a passenger in a fighter jet. That would be sooooooooooooooo sick!

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:28 PM   #17
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Pretty amazing...
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:48 PM   #18
Taunton
Elite Member

The US F-22 Raptor... the most advanced fighter currently in use. Pretty amazing what these things can do!
Old 09-14-2009 at 11:06 PM   #19
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

So long as I'm not bombing people...
Old 09-14-2009 at 11:07 PM   #20
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
So long as I'm not bombing people...
Nah, I'm interested in the flying... I'm not interested in fighting.
Old 09-15-2009 at 12:17 AM   #21
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

The only problem with that is the Air force is incredibly selective for who they admit to their fighter school. I think the primary reason is the small size of the air force so they do not need a large number of new pilots entering into the program. Although certainly possible.
Old 09-15-2009 at 07:35 AM   #22
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I was thinking of joining the AirForce but not to fly the fighters. Hercules would do it for me

Had one land right in front of me as I was waiting for take off clearance once. It was AWESOME!

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-15-2009 at 10:15 AM   #23
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

OMG i would so be down for this. I'm actually planning on getting my pilots licence. I got get a little ride in the canadian snowbirds but it wasn't enough!

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-15-2009 at 05:28 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

At the Warplane Heritage Museum, you can fly in planes like Harvards and Mustangs for $60-$100. We buy a flight for my dad every year.

I don't think anyone other than trained pilots/special cricumstances (ie. a TV show) can fly in fighter jets.
Old 09-15-2009 at 05:30 PM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post

The US F-22 Raptor... the most advanced fighter currently in use. Pretty amazing what these things can do!
This was at the CNE airshow this year. It was incredible to watch. The way it turns and climbs.. wow. It's amazing. I never knew it was so much bigger than the F18. It's HUGE.

Also, it's Starscream's alt mode, which makes it about a million times more cool.

For anyone who wants to join the Air Force, keep in mind that you need to have perfect vision. My brother has been in the Armed Forces for a long time and he wanted to fly - but he can't because he has glasses.

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-15-2009 at 07:11 PM   #26
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
For anyone who wants to join the Air Force, keep in mind that you need to have perfect vision. My brother has been in the Armed Forces for a long time and he wanted to fly - but he can't because he has glasses.
We were just discussing that a few posts up... apparently the Air Force will accept laser-corrected vision now? I know your vision needs to be perfect.... I'm just unsure about whether they accept laser-corrected vision or not.

I was planning on asking on Thursday (if they're at the Career Fair).
Old 09-15-2009 at 07:26 PM   #27
Myaccount

Liked: 3 Times

Yeah, my goal is to become a pilot with the air force... Which is not likely to happen.

So I'm going to have to settle for a different military job, but thats ok!
Old 09-15-2009 at 07:27 PM   #28
Taunton
Elite Member

Here's some highlights from the recruiting website (http://www.forces.ca/html/pilotofficer_reg_en.a spx)

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Why become a Military Pilot?
We will train you from scratch to be among the best pilots in the world, and pay you well the whole time.
You'll develop your leadership potential and get to use it to make a positive impact on other people's lives.
The Canadian Forces provides more than just a career; it offers you an added community in which you and your family can grow and learn.
While the CF team is always ‘on-duty', you will get a fair amount of free time for a personal life as well.
Civilian employers will value your CF training and real-life experience very highly when you choose to move on in your career.

Attitude, Aptitude, Altitude

Canadian Forces pilots are among the best in the world. To join this select group of military professionals, you will need to meet a few requirements:
Under the new standards, Applicants who wear glasses or contact lenses to provide modest correction to their vision are now eligible for consideration Vision standards for re-enrolling CF Pilots will be different; contact your recruiter.
A recognized Degree or be working towards one

Since Canadian Forces Pilots are Officers as well, we seek primarily individuals who have demonstrated strong academic performance at school, a desire to get involved in extra-curricular activities and who have shown some leadership potential such as in student's council or on a sports team.

What's in it for me? (Pay and Benefits)

We'll provide everything you need to become not only a pilot but also a leader and a broadly experienced professional.

CF Pilots are paid very competitively, right from the start. The pay, combined with the training, the challenge and the other benefits the Canadian Forces offer (including 4- to 5-weeks paid annual vacation, full medical and dental coverage, and more), helps make the career as a pilot one of the most highly desired for entry in the Canadian Forces.

CF Piloting experience is highly valued by civilian employers including airlines, corporate and charter flight departments, flight training companies, aircraft manufacturers and aerospace industry suppliers. Because there is a lot more to our career, your leadership skills and experience with diverse environments and responsibilities will appeal to all employers since they know you can handle the challenge and get the job done.

Your salary will range from $66,800 to $99,350 once you become a Captain within a few short years. There's special bonus pay too – aircrew allowance, and for field operations.

And at the end of your military career, you'll be highly marketable as both a pilot and leader in team-management and operations.
Old 09-15-2009 at 07:29 PM   #29
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaccount View Post
Yeah, my goal is to become a pilot with the air force...
Work for it! It's definitely worth it! Good luck!
Old 09-15-2009 at 07:52 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
We were just discussing that a few posts up... apparently the Air Force will accept laser-corrected vision now? I know your vision needs to be perfect.... I'm just unsure about whether they accept laser-corrected vision or not.

I was planning on asking on Thursday (if they're at the Career Fair).
People should also know that not everyone is a candidate for laser-corrected vision. On top of that, the procedure doesn't guarantee 20/20 vision.