MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Food -> Less Waste, More Taste! FreeFoodMac Body & Food 0 09-25-2013 08:26 PM
Taco Del Mar Free Food Today Only! Freija Body & Food 0 09-26-2012 02:13 PM
MacReation's Free Movie Night!! + FOOD Joyceyblank General Discussion 3 02-06-2012 10:40 PM

Free Food -> Less Waste, More Taste!

Old 09-24-2013 at 11:14 PM   #1
FreeFoodMac

Liked: 1 Time

Follow us on twitter @FreeFoodForMac (now on facebook! www.facebook.com/FreeFoodForMac) and please spread the word for - drum roll - updates about free food!

I am taking SUSTAIN 3A03, and my group is trying to divert the perfectly good food that restaraunts and student clubs throw away at the end of events and give it away to you for free!

The more followers we have, the more legitamacy we have when approaching people about the idea, and the more free food for you #nomnomnom.

Less waste, more taste!

Last edited by FreeFoodMac : 09-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2013 at 11:17 AM   #2
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Sounds interesting. What about a Facebook group?

I saw the student centre Tmmies throwing out an entire tray of timbits into the trash once and I was like...errrrgggg.

FreeFoodMac says thanks to Watoko for this post.

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 09-25-2013 at 11:32 AM   #3
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I agree with the Facebook group idea, some people (like myself) don't use Twitter. I like this idea though!

Any time I see a Tim Horton's throwing away perfectly good food it makes me sad. My dad told me many of them used to donate the goods to shelters, soup kitchens, etc. but it was stopped because they would be held responsible if someone got sick or something.

Aaliyah, Watoko like this.
Old 09-25-2013 at 12:33 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
Sounds interesting. What about a Facebook group?

I saw the student centre Tmmies throwing out an entire tray of timbits into the trash once and I was like...errrrgggg.
It's because if people knew they could get them for free, they would be less likely to pay money for them.

FreeFoodMac says thanks to Commie42 for this post.
Old 09-25-2013 at 02:03 PM   #5
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

I really like the idea, but I have a feeling Hospitality will not since they are the only group on campus allowed to distribute food products, everyone else needs to have an agreement with them. Something for you guys to look into.

Really great idea though

FreeFoodMac says thanks to GCSM for this post.

Watoko likes this.
Old 09-25-2013 at 07:49 PM   #6
FreeFoodMac

Wow, thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!

The Facebook group is a great idea, one worth doing right away - www.facebook.com/FreeFoodForMac

you ask and we deliver, hopefully in more ways than one soon enough.

Thanks for the heads up about the Hospitality regulations, we will definitely keep them in mind.

Please do continue to give thoughts and ideas for the project and continue to share with friends .

Moving discussion to http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...6.html?t=86616 because this part of the forum is accessible only when you login.

Last edited by FreeFoodMac : 09-25-2013 at 08:33 PM.

afi123 likes this.
Old 09-25-2013 at 08:28 PM   #7
FreeFoodMac

Follow us on twitter @FreeFoodForMac (now on facebook! www.facebook.com/FreeFoodForMac]) and please spread the word for - drum roll - updates about free food!

I am taking SUSTAIN 3A03, and my group is trying to divert the perfectly good food that restaraunts and student clubs throw away at the end of events and give it away to you for free!

The more followers we have, the more legitamacy we have when approaching people about the idea, and the more free food for you #nomnomnom.

Less waste, more taste!

If this could be merge with www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...9.html?t= 86589, that'd be great. I realized that part of the forum was exclusive.
Old 09-27-2013 at 12:24 AM   #8
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Just stumbled across this. Seems relevant: http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...190200241.html

FreeFoodMac says thanks to doppelganger for this post.
Old 10-15-2013 at 10:57 AM   #9
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
It's because if people knew they could get them for free, they would be less likely to pay money for them.
That's true. It doesn't have to be free though. Perhaps 50% off or something. That's what Chinese bakeries do. After 5 or 6 pm, they usually have sales.

Or even better donating it, but then health issues may come up like what dreamer21 said.

But I mean, anything is better than just throwing it away...
Old 10-15-2013 at 01:14 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

not even composted smh

Watoko likes this.
Old 10-17-2013 at 12:24 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
not even composted smh
Some places compost, I've only ever seen the Timmies in Keyes composting. But then again, there are only compost bins in MUSC and Keyes, so that's a whole other issue.
Old 10-18-2013 at 12:32 PM   #12
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
That's true. It doesn't have to be free though. Perhaps 50% off or something. That's what Chinese bakeries do. After 5 or 6 pm, they usually have sales.
The Coffee Culture where I live also does this about an hour or two before closing if they have a lot of baked goods left. I think all cafe places should do it.

Watoko likes this.