MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
french 1z06 3D day jordan19 Academics 3 08-30-2010 04:50 PM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM
French 1Z06 10pauljuli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 12:19 PM
French 1Z06 niteskie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-16-2009 01:52 PM

French 1Z06 Questions

Old 07-02-2009 at 03:54 PM   #31
twitterbird

Liked: 1 Time

thats amazing
idn if this question was asking before but i was reading a different thread and it had said that you have to get permission to take 6 courses in one semester... is that true? and if so is it a good idea to take 6 courses for one semester in first year?
Old 07-02-2009 at 04:15 PM   #32
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitterbird View Post
thats amazing
idn if this question was asking before but i was reading a different thread and it had said that you have to get permission to take 6 courses in one semester... is that true? and if so is it a good idea to take 6 courses for one semester in first year?
6 courses in one semester usually means you're overloading, i.e. you're taking more than 30 units. I think some faculties, like Engineering, actually require like 33 units but otherwise it's 30.

You do have to ask for permission, the only reason being that overloading can have an affect on your grades. I would NOT suggest this in first year, simply because you're still getting used to the transition to university which is vastly different in some ways to highschool.

In second year, different story. You can ask for permission, and they have the condition that you had a 7.0/12.0 average in first year - that's around a B- average. (That's on Mac's 12-point scale.)
Old 07-02-2009 at 04:19 PM   #33
twitterbird

who would i have to ask to get this speical permisson cause i had about an 83 average which is about a high B low A i believe.
Old 07-02-2009 at 04:27 PM   #34
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitterbird View Post
who would i have to ask to get this speical permisson cause i had about an 83 average which is about a high B low A i believe.
You would contact the office of the associate dean of your faculty. And I'm not sure if they do it with highschool averages to be honest, but you can always ask.
Old 07-02-2009 at 06:34 PM   #35
twitterbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
You would contact the office of the associate dean of your faculty. And I'm not sure if they do it with highschool averages to be honest, but you can always ask.
sorry to be a pain but since i have to choose my courses tm would i be able to pick that and then if i cant take it will they put me in a totally different elecetive? or would i be better off taking a different one
Old 07-02-2009 at 11:04 PM   #36
GarniT

Liked: 0 Times

Hey guys!

I didn't even realize this site was getting so many posts. In regards to taking six courses a term- I'm in eng and I had to take six courses, and it was never a problem. Perhaps the faculty already got special permission for us though. However, from what I've heard I think the real limit is taking 40 units a term. I accidently went over 40 units on solar the other day and it notified me that I was over.

In regards to 1Z06, I did end up taking it. It was awesome. Like previously mentioned, you have 2 hours of class a week. There are no presentations, the participation marks there to make sure you get 10% (in the teacher's own words), and you have 2 tests and 2 exams all year. She gives you a CD with exercises at the start of the year and doing those exercises is your only homework (not that she moniters you in any way, and you don't lose marks if you don't do them). If you have basic french you can avoid doing a lot of those labs (I didn't do any for the first term), and just cramming in a few days before the tests/exams. Also, the questions on the tests and exams are word by word from the CD's exercises. The teacher really understands that you're just doing this on the side. I got a 12.0. Unless you have zero french background (I only had till gr 9), or you have a difficulty learned other languages this course should be fine.
Old 07-09-2009 at 01:34 PM   #37
zzongmellong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarniT View Post
Hey guys!

I didn't even realize this site was getting so many posts. In regards to taking six courses a term- I'm in eng and I had to take six courses, and it was never a problem. Perhaps the faculty already got special permission for us though. However, from what I've heard I think the real limit is taking 40 units a term. I accidently went over 40 units on solar the other day and it notified me that I was over.

In regards to 1Z06, I did end up taking it. It was awesome. Like previously mentioned, you have 2 hours of class a week. There are no presentations, the participation marks there to make sure you get 10% (in the teacher's own words), and you have 2 tests and 2 exams all year. She gives you a CD with exercises at the start of the year and doing those exercises is your only homework (not that she moniters you in any way, and you don't lose marks if you don't do them). If you have basic french you can avoid doing a lot of those labs (I didn't do any for the first term), and just cramming in a few days before the tests/exams. Also, the questions on the tests and exams are word by word from the CD's exercises. The teacher really understands that you're just doing this on the side. I got a 12.0. Unless you have zero french background (I only had till gr 9), or you have a difficulty learned other languages this course should be fine.
hello,
i dont have any background in french
but if i do the assignments and study, is it still possible to get good grade like you?
Old 07-09-2009 at 01:42 PM   #38
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Supposedly, it is a beginner's course, so it should be possible for a beginner to do well in the course. I guess it all depends on how well you pick up languages, how good the prof is, etc.

However, I will leave it up to someone else who has actually taken the course to comment.

zzongmellong says thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 07-09-2009 at 02:09 PM   #39
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzongmellong View Post
hello,
but if i do the assignments and study, is it still possible to get good grade like you?
yeah u should definitely get at least a 10. because, like I mentioned in my review, the questions aer taken directly from the assignments word for word nothing changed. soo if u can remember them u should be fine. and she does help u write the paragraphs as well. and she's there to help! it really is an awesome course

zzongmellong says thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Old 07-19-2009 at 09:35 AM   #40
GarniT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzongmellong View Post
hello,
It'll probably be more work for you than it was for me but yes, it's definitely doable. You'll probably have to actually do the labs the days she assigns them (They don't take long, especially since she spends most of the classes doing examples on the topics). I know people who didn't have a background either and they managed pretty good grades. At the end of the day, the ease with which you understand the material has to do with how well you pick up languages and patterns.