MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deal: $0.99 cent 1L Chocolate Milk at Shoppers Chad Student Deals & Discounts 7 09-04-2012 10:27 AM
All You Can Eat Pancakes - Thursday January 20th! hamnahx02 MacInsiders Announcements 35 01-21-2011 10:39 AM

French 3W03: 20th cent. literature- Dr. Toma

Old 01-02-2013 at 05:29 PM   #1
Curlyfries

Liked: 2 Times

French 3W03: 20th cent. literature- Dr. Toma
Has anyone taken this course recently? I really want to take it (doing a French minor), but I'm a little scared. My french is far from perfect (it's like my 6th/7th language), and so I'm scared of not understanding the material. Apart from the language practices, I've taken 2H03: Linguistics and 2G03: Translation, if that matters.

So I was hoping someone could tell me about the course. Are the readings alright to keep up with (is there too much)? And are they easy to understand for a non-Francophone? Also, how's the prof in terms of marking? Does he explain stuff well in lecture? Is his french alright to understand? I'm good at writing essays in English so I don't think I'll have a problem with analysis. It's just understanding the complex readings that I'm worried about!

Merci and Happy New Year
Old 01-03-2013 at 02:25 PM   #2
Curlyfries

No one has taken this course? :( Perhaps you know of the prof?
Old 01-03-2013 at 02:54 PM   #3
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

I haven't taken this course and nor do I know anything about the prof, but I think this link(below) might help.

http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Sh...?tid=1 690041

Seems like the prof is really great based on the ratings
Old 01-04-2013 at 01:40 PM   #4
Curlyfries

Thanks, I looked at that already! I was really hoping to get some feedback on the readings!
Old 01-04-2013 at 02:01 PM   #5
stma
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Dr. Toma is great! He's helpful and cares that you understand the material. And his awkwardness is really amusing, especially when he tries using English words. I've had friends that took this course, and they've said that they enjoyed it. Some of the readings on the syllabus seem to be more complex, but nothing too hard to understand. Dr. Toma explained texts thoroughly, while also expanding on more difficult vocabulary/phrases in past courses.

Last edited by stma : 01-04-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Curlyfries says thanks to stma for this post.