MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
This would have been asked eventually... jordan19 General Discussion 57 10-10-2010 08:26 PM
Some questions from a second year kwyhan Financial Aid 1 06-23-2010 08:12 PM
First Year Kin Questions caitygambi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-21-2010 07:46 AM
questions (2nd year) kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-08-2010 07:39 PM

Frequently Asked Questions: First Year

Frequently Asked Questions: First Year

BY NICOLE FERREIRA, MACINSIDERS

Entering university is far more difficult than entering high school.
When you enter high school you have all of your friends with you and it's an easier process. Here's a list of questions with answers that many students wonder about:

Residence

I’m on the waitlist for residence. What are the odds that I am going to get it?
It depends. You may not be living in residence in September but that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t get it. There are people who leave residence for whatever reason. Also, after first term a number of people leave university for whatever reason. If you’re willing to wait for a spot you do have a chance to get a spot. However, living off campus also has its perks. It’s a lot cheaper, you have your own room (and it’s bigger!), you have more freedom and you don’t need to dish out 3 grand for a meal plan!

I didn’t get the residence I wanted, can I switch?
In life, you will frequently be disappointed. Instead of mopping about how ugly or inconvenient your residence is focus on the perks. Every residence has its advantages. You’ll only be living there for eight months anyway. The people you meet are what will make your experience enjoyable. Your room is only there so you have a place to sleep at night. You can study at the library, eat at Commons and take part in residence events which will keep you busy outside of the actual building. Honestly though, there isn’t a single building that is THAT horrible to be in. Though at first glance some seem more appealing every residence is amazing! Don’t switch residences because you didn’t get the one(s) you wanted. Let the switching happen for those who really need to switch (i.e. for medical reasons, etc)

Do triples get fridges?
No.

What should I bring to residence?
You will receive a list in the mail. It is recommended to see the approximate size of rooms on Welcome Day (August 8th) as you will have a better understanding of what space you are working with! In the meantime, you can read this article from the Residence Survival Series.

Are there rules in residence?
Yup! They include things such as no smoking inside of buildings, no excessively loud noise and no underage drinking. While some students find these rules outrageous, they aren’t that bad. These rules are implemented for your health and safety and they are government laws. The Residence Life Staff (RLS) will enforce the rules and make them known the day that you move in.

How much does it cost to do laundry?
It costs $1.25 per load to wash and $1.25 per load to dry. Be sure to bring lots of change!

I’m on a substance free floor, but I drink all the time, what should I do?
If you’re under 19 and not allowed to drink alcohol outside of residence why would you think that you’re allowed to drink inside of it? Most of you only have a few more months before you turn 19 so just wait it out a bit. For those of you who are 19 and on a substance free floor, go down the stairs and drink there. Honestly though, if you’re drinking all the time you should be careful as excessive drinking does pose health risks.

Academics

Which course is better A or B?
This question is super iffy! The person who answers has to have taken the same courses and you assume that they have the same tastes as you. Fortunately, MacInsiders Reviews Section has over 100 reviews! You can also check out course outlines on your program’s website in order to decide which course would be best for you. Sometimes you need to undergo trial and error in order to figure out where your interests really lie.

Is course Y easy?
Once again, this question is difficult to answer. What is considered easy to me may be considered difficult to you, that is why we are all in different programs after all! We all learn differently and this will become far more apparent further into the year. Some have mastered multiple choice tests while others are better at writing essays. Also, some people just happen to have more interest or knowledge in a certain area that you don’t have quite yet. Look into the course outlines as it will give you an idea as to what topics you will explore and what the grading scheme is like.

Where exactly are these course outlines you speak of?
You may have to do some snooping around but I’ll give you an example. In the search box on the McMaster.ca homepage, type in Philosophy. Then, click on the Department of Philosophy link. Click Undergraduate Programmes. Scroll down and you will see a list of Undergraduate Course Offerings. If you click on any of those courses listed you will see the course outline for it. Just to name a few…
Physics- http://www.physics.mcmaster. ca/?page=firstyear
Psychology- http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psych...08.html#level 1
Religious Studies- http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/relstu...urses_past.c fm

I can’t get into the course I want what should I do?
Upper years often face this problem as well. You have 4 years to get into that course so relax… unless it’s a mandatory course. If the course is required in order for you to get into your program e-mail the department and ask for a waiver. It’s nothing to stress about. You will get into the course if you need it to get into your second year. Click on your department’s website and click on the Contact Us button which most if not all have. Once courses begin people begin to get a feel for a course and sometimes they feel as if the course isn’t for them. The student will likely drop the course thus opening a seat for you. So make sure that you constantly check back with SOLAR in order to see if any spots have opened up! If you go to a class regularly that you couldn’t get in and talk to the professor he/she is more likely to want to help you. Professors admire students who are passionate about the things they teach so show some dedication for the course and the prof will likely make you an exception and allow you into the course. Also, if it’s a really popular course it might be offered in the summer as well!

What does term 3 mean?
Ex: Philosophy 2C06
The 2 means it’s a second year course. However, the 6 means it is a full year course. I didn’t take any courses that ended in a 6 when I was in first year because I thought it was for summer school. If you assumed it was for summer school as well, trust me, you weren’t the only one.

When can/should I buy my books?
The course materials listing will be available as of August 11, 2008. Most people buy their books after their first class in case the professors decide to use different books or get rid of a couple of texts. However, if you are 100% sure that you are buying the right books you can buy them before class starts. I bought my books during Welcome Week in order to not wait in line for 3 hours. However, keep in mind that Courseware is non-refundable and you definitely don’t want to pick up the wrong one. Feel free to ask Titles Bookstore staff for help!

Services

I want to be involved in student leadership activities, what does McMaster offer?
McMaster has a TON of leadership activities! Residence students can take part in the Inter-Residence Council (IRC) by being a FLIRC. There is also the Mary Keyes Leadership Programme which consists of workshops dedicated to the topic of leadership. There are over 100 clubs on campus so there is definitely bound to be one that peaks your interests. The MSU also offers a wide variety of services that students can volunteer for. CLAY is a leadership conference devoted to helping high school students become leaders and McMaster students assist in their development.

Will I have time to balance extra curriculars, school work and adapting to a new environment?
Of course you will! Time management is a skill that not everyone has. It takes some time to learn. I recommend speaking to CSD (Centre for Student Development) and book an appointment with an academic counsellor to help out with time management. It can definitely be done though! In first year you will have a lot of BIG gaps throughout the week that can be used for whatever is necessary. Plus, when you know you have a FLIRC meeting or badminton practice you get your work done earlier!

I’m a student with a disability, is there a way to be accommodated?
The term disability ranges from physical to mental and McMaster’s Centre for Student Development is highly beneficial. They offer several resources for students such as having workshops, academic success counsellors, note takers, scribes and mental health counsellors to speak to. For more information, go to MUSC B107 or http://csd.mcmaster.ca/

What services does McMaster offer?
McMaster offers a variety of services.
For clubs click here
For MSU services click here
For Academic and personal help click here

Where can we access the internet on campus?
For wireless access, you can access it everywhere on campus except residence. Some places have a stronger signal than others but that is expected. In residence, you will be required to be connected to the internet with a cable that is supplied to you upon move in.

I’m interested in working during the school year; can I get jobs on campus?
Working and being a full-time student can be quite the challenge. Fortunately, Career Services offers the Work-Study program. The jobs will be posted in August. I currently work at Career Services and constantly receive calls from first year students who try accessing OSCAR. OSCAR is our online job database. However, at this point, first years cannot access OSCAR as they are still not technically students. However, towards mid-late August OSCAR will be filled with numerous on-campus job postings. Keep in mind that campus positions can be rather competitive. So make sure to utilize Career Services resume critiques and other workshops in order to ensure that you sell yourself well! Also, I’d like to mention that Career Services will be launching a brand new program in January 2009, which will be known as ACT for 2010. This program will help students with disabilities seek employment and help employers accommodate these students as much as possible.

GO Bus information?
You can go directly to Compass and ask the staff for more information about the GO bus. However, you can also click here for more information.

Other

What can you tell me about my student card?
Your student card is really important! It acts as your U-Pass if you’re a full-time student. This allows you for free travel on the HSR during the academic year. It can be used as a credit card when purchasing books. If you get a gym membership that’s what you’ll use. You need it when you make a doctor’s appointment. It’s used as your meal plan. There are so many other things that your student card is used for so you definitely want to make sure you have one for when school starts.

New students will receive a form in the mail that they need to fill out in order to receive their student card. The photo can be taken on campus for free! You can go on Welcome Day (August 8th) or any other day actually to have your picture taken at the Office of Registrar so that it gets done. You can also mail a passport sized photo out but if you live within an hour away from Hamilton coming to have the photo taken is just more convenient. When you receive your student card, usually mid-late August you will see a sticker you MUST keep that sticker. Without the sticker the card is hardly useful. Place the sticker in the designated area of the card and enjoy being an OFFICIALMcMasterUnive rsity student!

What is Welcome Week like?
Welcome Week will vary per residence. Each building will have a variety of events that they have during the week. It is a busy but super fun week for first years.
To look at last year’s for a better understanding click here.

What is in a MacPass, is it worth it?
Click here for find out more about the MacPass. Yes, it is worth it! Also, it’s about 75 dollars cheaper for you guys than it was in my year and it has many of the same things.

I’m shy and don’t have any friends going to Mac, do you have any advice?
A lot of people will be in the same boat. On move-in day everyone is nervous though they’re also very excited. You can easily meet people during welcome week and that’s both for on and off campus students. Most of the people I met weren’t even living in my residence. I met so many more people through extra curricular activities and lectures. Being shy can sometimes make it really difficult to meet people, trust me I know. But sometimes you need to make that leap or take 1000 baby steps forward. You won’t become less shy overnight, it takes time. The students here at McMaster are remarkable! So get involved in a couple of extra curricular activities and slowly but surely you’ll have a ton of friends in no time! Remember: Friendship doesn’t happen overnight. The friends you have now, you’ve probably known for years. But with a little bit of effort and getting slightly outside of your own comfort zone you’ll make friends in no time!

How does the payment agreement work?
Click here http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1881 6

How do I apply for OSAP? When do I pick it up?
For information about OSAP click here. If you apply to OSAP early, the amount you receive will automatically be sent to McMaster when you do your payment agreement. Unfortunately, the deadline has passed. The line up to pick up OSAP begins in the first week of September. It tends to be in the MUSC (McMaster University Student Centre) as the lines are extremely long. Waiting for OSAP tends to take about 3 hours on average. I recommend waiting a while later like September 10th when the line ups aren’t as long so you don’t waste your precious life to receive some money.

Chad, Cristina_n13, Didi.a.g, karen1o3o, kokosas, MacEng, mfattal, randomness, shleyaa, sky_xox, tamikapie all say thanks to ferreinm for this post.

akbadak, mfattal, Sandra Shan like this.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-25-2008 at 07:30 AM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Nicole is right, OSAP lines are HORRID! If you don't want to wait till later in the week (cause I never do) line up early in the morning. I usually get there around 7 or 7:30 when it opens at 8. Bring some homework, you'll need it!

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-25-2008 at 10:12 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
A very comprehensive article. Great job
Old 07-25-2008 at 04:43 PM   #4
Eva C
Elite Member
Program: Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Les Prince Hall 613 (06/07), Mary. E. Keyes 410(07/08), Brandon Hall (08/09), Les Prince (09/10)

Liked: 3 Times
AWESOME!!
so many people are gonna be so happy for this list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Nicole is right, OSAP lines are HORRID! If you don't want to wait till later in the week (cause I never do) line up early in the morning. I usually get there around 7 or 7:30 when it opens at 8. Bring some homework, you'll need it!
yeah!! i wake up early just to line up for it, but its worth it. usually takes around 1-1.5 hour, so make sure you have a 2 hour break or so so you don't miss any of your classes i just line up with friends and just catch up with their summers and stuff to make the line up a little less painful.

Old 07-25-2008 at 07:48 PM   #5
Cristina_n13
Program: Biology
Residence: Moulton, Wallingford, McKay, SOCS

Quote:
Do triples get fridges?
No.
After messaging Housing Services @ McMaster, they notified my that Bunk & Loft rooms DO get Fridges.
Old 07-25-2008 at 07:56 PM   #6
samantha__
Elite Member
Program: Economics & Business
Year: Fourth

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina_n13 View Post
After messaging Housing Services @ McMaster, they notified my that Bunk & Loft rooms DO get Fridges.
I remember in Whidden the people with Bunk and Loft rooms got a fridge; other residences though, I don't remember seeing that. I know Hedden triples didn't have a fridge. Odd.
Old 07-25-2008 at 08:23 PM   #7
Cristina_n13

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
I remember in Whidden the people with Bunk and Loft rooms got a fridge; other residences though, I don't remember seeing that. I know Hedden triples didn't have a fridge. Odd.
I think what it is is that regular triples don't get a fridge, while bunk & loft rooms do get a fridge.
Old 07-25-2008 at 10:15 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
I don't really know of any other triples...every triple I've seen is a bunk and loft...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-26-2008 at 12:55 PM   #9
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Edit regarding jobs: Work Study job positions go up on August 1st
Old 07-26-2008 at 12:59 PM   #10
__lexington
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1 Time
So....bunk and lofts DO or DO NOT get fridges?
Old 07-26-2008 at 01:01 PM   #11
ferreinm
Elite Member

I'll call Housing again on Monday but when I last called they said no.
Old 07-26-2008 at 01:03 PM   #12
Cristina_n13

We saw a regular triple at May @ Mac where the 3 beds were separate and the room was quite large. I believe it was in Woodstock where I saw this, but I may be mistaken. There are regular triples for sure though.
The e-mail I received was as follows:

Quote:
Christina,

As a student who is in a Bunk and Loft room you will be provided with a mini bar fridge.

Hope this helps,
Amanda

Residence AdmissionsHousing & Conference ServicesCommons 101McMaster University1280 Main St WHamilton, ON Canada L8S 4K1Phone: 905-525-9140 Ext 24342Fax: 905-529-3319http://housing.mcmaster.ca

There was no mention of "as a student in a bunk & loft room in MOULTON you will be receiving a mini bar fridge." It was extremely general which leaves me to believe that ALL bunk & loft rooms will be receiving mini bar fridges. If you're unsure however I advise you to contact residence admissions at [email protected] r.ca or housing services at [email protected]

Chad says thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.
Old 07-28-2008 at 09:36 AM   #13
ferreinm
Elite Member

Bunk and Lofts DO get a fridge if you're in Whidden, Hedden or Moulton

Triple rooms do NOT get a fridge

__lexington says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 07-29-2008 at 10:19 AM   #14
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
I got a fride provided for me when I lived in a bunk and loft room!

I assume that's still the same....
Old 07-29-2008 at 11:57 AM   #15
ferreinm
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
I got a fride provided for me when I lived in a bunk and loft room!

I assume that's still the same....
Bunk and lofts will be getting fridges again though, whereas triple rooms won't.

Article Tools