MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Human Rights in Canada Mini-Conference - Thursday March 25 Lois MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-25-2010 08:53 AM
Human Rights Day (Dec. 10th) - Ending Canadian Involvement in Torture Lois MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-03-2009 09:14 PM

Fundamental Human Rights

Old 09-03-2009 at 07:42 PM   #1
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Fundamental Human Rights
Since I love debate, I'm going to post this question and then observe the discussion... I'm going to participate only after the discussion has progressed somewhat.

Q: Do you think humans have a fundamental right to food, water and healthcare, or any one or combination of the three? Why, or why not? Please use any and all arguments/reasoning... and don't get personal.

Enjoy!

lorend likes this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 07:46 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I believe in the principle of "treat others the way you want to be treated". Would I want to be able to access basic necessities such as food, water, and health care? Yes, then I expect the same to be applied to others.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/ <3
Old 09-03-2009 at 07:46 PM   #3
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Nobody has any sort of intrinsic "right" to anything, however I think we should extend empathy and human decency to those who are in need of such things. Not because they have a "right" to it, but because its the compassionate thing to do, and you would like the same if you were ever in their position.

Goce, Harlequin, syaseen like this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 07:47 PM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
Nobody has any sort of intrinsic "right" to anything, however I think we should extend empathy and human decency to those who are in need of such things. Not because they have a "right" to it, but because its the compassionate thing to do, and you would like the same if you were ever in their position.
I like this answer.
Old 09-03-2009 at 07:50 PM   #5
ZZZZZZZZ

Liked: 2 Times

Food, water, clothing, shelter, companionship are all basic human needs that we cannot live without. It is about survival. God has given us the resources to fulfill these needs. There is enough for all of us. Hence, there is no reason for conflict on the matter of it being a fundamental right of every individual. Would you deny food to your brother?
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:13 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZZ View Post
Food, water, clothing, shelter, companionship are all basic human needs that we cannot live without. It is about survival. God has given us the resources to fulfill these needs. There is enough for all of us. Hence, there is no reason for conflict on the matter of it being a fundamental right of every individual. Would you deny food to your brother?
There is actually not enough food if people keep on supporting organic foods. I don't see why so many people are against genetically modified foods.

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:24 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

According to one of the many articles from population ecology (the courseware is in Hamilton, atm or I would get the authors), at the moment the "famine problem" is an issue of food distribution not food production.

Organic food tastes better and it's better for the environment in many cases. The problem with GMO foods is that it can reduce diversity in the types of crops that we have. We can create crops that are incredibly resistent to different types of fungi to yield more produce, which is good. But a problem arises if this crop starts to monopolize the agriculture industry and another pest manages to wipe out the entire yield. Conserving biodiversity, even within species, is so important.

Note: I'm just playing Devil's advocate, I really don't care if my food is GM'ed or not.

daisy likes this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:32 PM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Organic food tastes better
You should watch the Penn & Teller: Bullshit episode on Organic Food... using a double-blind taste test they determine that "normal" food is often chosen as the food with the better flavour. There's a lot of things wrong with organic food... it's not a viable solution to anything... if anything it's more harmful.

As devil's advocate I'll state this: as compassionate as anyone might be, things such as food, water or healthcare must be provided by people, who need to make livings themselves. How do you solve the problem of "does this person make a living, or does this other person eat/drink/heal"?
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:47 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
You should watch the Penn & Teller: Bullshit episode on Organic Food... using a double-blind taste test they determine that "normal" food is often chosen as the food with the better flavour. There's a lot of things wrong with organic food... it's not a viable solution to anything... if anything it's more harmful.
I've grown organic tomatoes in my backyard - no pesticides and natural fertilizers (compost). I don't see how that's harmful to my health. I do, however, agree with the idea that there are still problems with organic foods - such as the lack of standardization.

Once again, it's important to think critically when watching media reports. Their Food Policy Analyst Expert”, Alex Avery, is paid by the Hudson Institute. This institute is funded by giant corporations such as Monsanto, the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) food.

I'm not saying that we should dismiss their study; however, you need to take it with a grain of salt.

In some cases, where there are dictatorships it's virtually impossible to survive on their own abilities. In North Korea, with the current system, even if a grandparent or a great grandparent disobeys or insults the "Great Leader" then you are automatically shunted to the bottom caste. This makes it very hard to survive under oppressive regimes without any sort of assistance.

While ideally people should make living on their own, sometimes people just need help in order to help to get them to that point.

Last edited by Lij : 09-03-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:55 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I believe every person on this planet has certain rights, a la the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which came into existence after WWII.

However, many countries (including Canada) do not meet the standards of the UDHR.

Hence why the Declaration for the Rights of Indigenous People was developed in 2007. Canada, the US, Australia and New Zealand all refused to sign.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Lois likes this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 08:55 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I've grown organic tomatoes in my backyard - no pesticides and natural fertilizers (compost). I don't see how that's harmful to my health. I do, however, agree with the idea that there are still problems with organic foods - such as the lack of standardization.

Once again, it's important to think critically when watching media reports. Their Food Policy Analyst Expert”, Alex Avery, is paid by the Hudson Institute. This institute is funded by giant corporations such as Monsanto, the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) food.

I'm not saying that we should dismiss their study; however, you need to take it with a grain of salt.

In some cases, where there are dictatorships it's virtually impossible to survive on their own abilities. In North Korea, with the current system, even if a grandparent or a great grandparent disobeys or insults the "Great Leader" then you are automatically shunted to the bottom caste. This makes it very hard to survive under oppressive regimes without any sort of assistance.

While ideally people should make living on their own, sometimes people just need help in order to help to get them to that point.
Ben never said it wasn't good for your health. He was simply saying that with a double blind taste test, GM'd food was preferred over organic food.

Another problem with organic food is that third world countries will never be able to afford them since actual yield is low (crop failures, pests, etc...) meaning that prices will ALWAYS be high.

Taunton says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-03-2009 at 09:11 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

^ "if anything it's more harmful."

Edited:
Quote:
Hence why the Declaration for the Rights of Indigenous People was developed in 2007. Canada, the US, Australia and New Zealand all refused to sign.
: ( Unfortunately Indigenous people are subjected to so many double standards. People complain that they get better treatment, but considering that they were subjected to residential schools and a lot of them have lost their traditional culture - the government isn't doing enough in my opinion.

It takes a lot longer for the police to look for an Indigenous woman who's gone missing compared to a non-native woman. We haven't officially discussed it yet, however I think Mac's Amnesty group is going to continue to fight for Indigenous Rights. Last year, it was mostly the Stolen Sister's campaign and the Lubicon Cree.

Last edited by Lij : 09-03-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2009 at 09:15 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
^ "if anything it's more harmful."
I think when he said "It's more harmful" he's referring to the overall effect of organic foods, meaning that you get less food per acre and even less actual yield.

Taunton says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 10:34 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I just saw this short documentary on this History of Human Rights, so I thought I'd re-open the thread and get your thoughts (on it or what has already been stated).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 10:58 PM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Human Rights Day is only a month (and a bit) away - December 10th.

lorend says thanks to Lois for this post.