MacInsiders Logo

General Question about course textbooks/study guide for first year life science?

Old 09-09-2010 at 06:45 PM   #1
1styearlife

Liked: 0 Times

General Question about course textbooks/study guide for first year life science?
Hi,

I was wondering how useful are the optional study guides for biology. Should I buy on?

Also do you think having an older addition of a textbook is not a good idea? I should buy the new one. For example Biology has a canadian edition being used... but I already have last years. Should I buy the new one? What about chem?

The iclickers, can one be used for more than one course? Like chem and bio together.

Thanks a ton to whoever.
Old 09-09-2010 at 07:14 PM   #2
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1styearlife View Post
Hi,

I was wondering how useful are the optional study guides for biology. Should I buy on?

Also do you think having an older addition of a textbook is not a good idea? I should buy the new one. For example Biology has a canadian edition being used... but I already have last years. Should I buy the new one? What about chem?

The iclickers, can one be used for more than one course? Like chem and bio together.

Thanks a ton to whoever.
i'll answer couple of your questions..

1. yes one iClicker works with all courses.
2. i've personally bought new books to start with (already bought chem + bio required package)
3. i think the guide included with new biology book (its a bundle), is good enough. no need for other guides, in my opinion.

have a great day
Old 09-09-2010 at 07:38 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

We got told today in Bio !M03 that we NEED the new edition because there's different stuff that we need from it. I'm cheesed.
Old 09-09-2010 at 07:53 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I wrote this in another thread a few hours ago, the study guide for bio is a yellow book that is NOT included in the package, it's the WRITING guide that is included in the package--it is included whether you buy vol 1 & 2 separately or together.
Protip: Buying vol 1 & vol 2 separately will cost $71.95x2=$143.90
Buying vol 1 & vol 2 packaged together will cost $139.95
BUT if you buy them separately, you get two writing guides.
If you sell back one of them to Titles (which we are buying back for $27.50), you actually SAVE money over buying them packaged together. It would end up costing you a net total of $116.40 compared to $139.95, which is a difference of $23.55
It's not a HUGE difference, but every bit counts!
They're out of stock for 1A03 though, so hopefully more comes in tomorrow!

As for using the older edition, I'm sketchy about that only because Kajiura helped to make this edition (and she added Cdn content to it...) so I can see her relying on it more than she would have before. If you're tight for money, then use the old edition and hope for the best/make a friend with the new edition, but otherwise it's probably a good idea to have.

For chem, you'd probably be able to make due with an old version if you are able to use the index properly. Double-check with a prof to be sure, since there could be some major changes (it's unlikely but possible). It could be a bit of a pain having the old version, but again, if you're tight for money then make a friend with a new edition and go from there