MacInsiders Logo

GEOG 2UI3: Intro to Urban Geography??

Members have rated post #142143 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 06-12-2010 at 05:55 PM   #1
pogy

Liked: 0 Times

GEOG 2UI3: Intro to Urban Geography??
I am debating on whether or not to take this course as an elective for third year. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this course.

Any piece of info will help, thanks!
Old 06-12-2010 at 06:18 PM   #2
drew4008

Liked: 13 Times

Just took it last sem.

The course content is pretty interesting, although I'm a geography major so maybe not for everyone. It's more or less the history and evolution of the city.

Dr. Wilton's a nice guy, very approachable. Has an Australian accent just FYI. He posts lecture slides which have some of the info, not all of it, and you have to fill it in as you go. I actually only went to about 4 lectures though. The reason being... he follows the textbook almost to a T, so make sure you get that and then you don't really have to go, as most of the testable material is from that as well.

Midterm was pretty tough, exam was easier than I expected though. The types of questions (100% of them on the midterm and ~75% of them on the final) are just short answer (as small as one word) and you either know the answer or you don't. So quite a few people ended up getting ~50% on the midterm because of that. Thankfully the final was of the format where it says something like "answer 10 of the following 15", so that made it a lot better if you didn't know a few.

I think 55% of the course mark though was from the group assignment you do all semester. There's 3 different deadlines throughout the semester and you're assigned a certain Canadian city where have to write about it's history, urban geography, and modern issues/problems. Pretty easy for the most part... just like 1,000 words per person in the group every 3 weeks or so. Oh, and you have to post all this on a "wiki" with some pictures.

Overall I think it's a pretty decent elective choice. You don't even really need to go to the tutorials after you form your group (if you have good communication). Pretty easy B too. I got a B+ and I slacked quite a bit. Let me know if you have any other questions.