Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 85%
Geography 1HA3

I took this class as one of the electives in my first year. The course is similar to Geography 1HB3 but it talks more about the society and culture of human geography. It had 2 one hour lecture and one 2 hour lab, the same as 1HB3.

I had Dr. Mercier as my professor. He is a pretty good lecturer and the lecture is pretty clear and concise.

Lecture: pretty interesting in terms of the content. When I took this class, it was somewhat I review for me because I took 1HB3 the first term and I had the same prof. Since I took that course, some of the lectures that came up on 1HB3 will come up on 1HA3 as well

Assignments and Labs: labs are the same as 1HB3 but the assignments are different. For instance the 3rd assignment for this class was writing a research paper about anything. The topics were either a language or religion topic. The 4th assignment (the group assignment) was going to a certain neighbourhood in Hamilton and picking 12 sites to do field notes on. We had to make a guide book for the tourist coming to Hamilton.

Midterm and Final Exams: The exam usually consist of multiple choice and short answer questions. There are less questions in the midterm than in the final. The content of the test is based on the lectures, textbook and lab. So if you attend lectures and labs and take good notes, you can do well on the exams.

Overall a great class and it is quite easy to get a good mark if you work hard enough.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Geography 1HA3!

Old 08-11-2011 at 11:29 AM   #2
nusu123

Liked: 0 Times
hey i jus wanted to ask you is geography is super hard or more like a bird course cause i haven't taken the other geo course that you have taken
Old 08-13-2011 at 10:13 PM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusu123 View Post
hey i jus wanted to ask you is geography is super hard or more like a bird course cause i haven't taken the other geo course that you have taken
To me, first year Geography course is not a very hard course and it's not a bird course either. It is somewhere in between. It really depends on how well you do on assignments, test and your participation in labs. In order to get full notes and have a great understanding of the cintents of the course, you pretty much have to attend the lectures. That's pretty much how I got good marks in the class.
Old 09-11-2011 at 09:31 AM   #4
Sanjeet-10

attend each class and make sure you do really well on the labs

Old 01-04-2012 at 05:40 PM   #5
quainat

do you really need the textbook for the course to do well?
Old 01-04-2012 at 10:51 PM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by quainat View Post
do you really need the textbook for the course to do well?
I hardly read mine and i manage to get a B as a final mark. like i said on this review, just attend class and labs and do well on the assignments and test. You will be fine.
Old 06-12-2012 at 10:19 PM   #7
AndreaN

Dr.Mercier is a great prof. His lectures are clear and he makes it very easy to take good notes. Pay attention to what he says more than what on the slides and do your best on assignments. Very enjoyable overall
Old 06-23-2013 at 10:21 PM   #8
Smatinnia

what do u actually study in this course?
Old 06-24-2013 at 02:37 AM   #9
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatinnia View Post
what do u actually study in this course?
It has been literary 2 years since I took this course and I can't exactly remember what we studied. All I remember is that it is about the study of the geography of the society and its culture. So you will learn aspects of language and religion and all those things. For your benefit I will attach the course outline from Summer 2013. I can't find my own copy so I took it from the School of Geography and Earth Sciences website: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/geo...ate/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1HA3_Course_Outline_Summer_2013.pdf (121.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-06-2013 at 07:20 AM   #10
escape

Liked: 38 Times
was textbook required for this course?
Old 09-06-2013 at 02:04 PM   #11
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
was textbook required for this course?
It is required for the course. I don't know how this course changed over the year and I don't know if the same profs are teaching it. The textbook is only use for reading purposes...

escape says thanks to akikokoyoki for this post.
Old 01-03-2014 at 03:09 PM   #12
Angelica F.

How are the labs like? I haven't taken geo since grade 9 and was wondering if I should switch to a new course? or stick to it
Old 01-05-2014 at 01:01 AM   #13
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica F. View Post
How are the labs like? I haven't taken geo since grade 9 and was wondering if I should switch to a new course? or stick to it
For what I could remember, it's similar to a tutorial except it's an hour longer. There's usually a custom courseware that is use during the lab and the TA just follows that. That's how it was 3 years ago when I took it he course. I don't know how it runs now though.

Don't worry if you haven't taken any Geography courses since Grade 9. This course is actually so different from highschool Geography. In fact, the prof actually mentions it...

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search