MacInsiders Logo

Geography 2RC3

Old 12-15-2011 at 11:47 PM   #16
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Geography 2RC3
This course deal pretty much deals with the whole geography of Canada. You learn about the physical, climate, human and regions of Canada (and among other things). Dr. Walter Peace taught this course and he is a pretty good prof (if I do say so myself). I found this course quite interesting and...
Old 01-16-2013 at 02:20 PM   #15
lyonsnew

Liked: 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McUsed View Post
Like my fellow posters, I as well took Geography of Canada in the Fall 2011 session. However, my ratings for this course may not be as generous. Here are some statistics:

Midterm (25% of final mark):

Of the 475 students who wrote the first and only midterm....

a total of 193 students or 41% of the class scored a mark in the 50-69% range.

only 91 students or 19% of the class received a mark of 80% and higher.

out of these 91 students, only 5 students or 1% of the class got a mark between 90-95% on the midterm.

no student got above 95% i.e. no student, out of a class of 475, got perfect on a multiple choice midterm, in a geography class about the country we live in, Canada.

average: 70.79%

Dr. Peace mentioned after the midterm that roughly 20% of the questions came from the textbook. if you neglected to read the chapters associated with the material (each chapter is about 40 or so pages) then chances are you will be guessing a handful of questions on the test.

Likewise for the exam, many questions appeared from the textbook. (here's a hint: know your acronyms and make sure to remember irrelevent years and details). if you want to do well, then i would suggest reading each chapter covered in the exam.

regarding the assignment...
basically don't expect your mark to be bumped up drastically. most people i knew got between 60-85%.

finally, if you are in your final year, dr. peace said in lecture that about 169 students who were taking this course were in their graduating year. i'm sure most of these students regretted taking this course and so, i would recommend to stay away from this course and don't come in here thinking that you are guaranteed a double digit or that this course will help bring up your cummulative GPA. i mean, if you are genuinely interested in the geography of canada, or don't mind a single digit grade, then sure, go ahead and take it.
So the class average was a B-. That is actually a little high. What did you expect it to be? When will people realize there are no classes in University where they hand you a 12 just or showing up.
Old 04-20-2013 at 04:20 PM   #16
dekster

Liked: 0 Times
Has anyone taken this course recently or in summer school? If so, would you change the rating of the course?
Old 12-23-2015 at 09:18 PM   #17
Soccergirl96

I took this course Fall 2015 with Dr. Maclachlin as an elective. I received an A-.

You don't need any knowledge of geography, as the last time I ever took a geo class was in grade nine of high school. Overall, I did not find the course that interesting, but that could be because I am not highly interested in geography. Many people did not attend the lectures because they were pretty boring. Dr. Maclachlin is interesting and entertaining, even if the course content was neither.

I would rate it a 6.5/10. The lectures were very straightforward (followed the format of the textbook). Dr. Maclachlin would leave blank spots on some of the slides so it was important you attended class (or had a friend who went to class) so that you knew all the fill-in the blanks.

There were 3 online quizzes (easy but would take a long time because they were very detail-oriented), 2 assignments, a midterm, and a final exam (multiple choice + short answer). The assignments were relatively easy but tedious, as they required a lot of effort for a small weight (each were 12.5%).

The midterm was a tad nit-picky (he only wrote half of it - some TA wrote the other half) but the exam was fair. I would recommend buying the textbook as it was useful for the online quizzes and studying for the midterm and exam.

I would recommend this course for someone looking for a course with a below-average course load (at least compared to my other classes) who doesn't mind putting in work when it's occasionally required (as you have to do in order to do well on the assignments and quizzes). I'm giving it a 6.5/10 because the lectures were boring and the assignments seemed tedious but I can't complain about the low course work and the prof was a good guy.
Old 05-27-2017 at 02:59 PM   #18
TheHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccergirl96 View Post
I took this course Fall 2015 with Dr. Maclachlin as an elective. I received an A-.

You don't need any knowledge of geography, as the last time I ever took a geo class was in grade nine of high school. Overall, I did not find the course that interesting, but that could be because I am not highly interested in geography. Many people did not attend the lectures because they were pretty boring. Dr. Maclachlin is interesting and entertaining, even if the course content was neither.

I would rate it a 6.5/10. The lectures were very straightforward (followed the format of the textbook). Dr. Maclachlin would leave blank spots on some of the slides so it was important you attended class (or had a friend who went to class) so that you knew all the fill-in the blanks.

There were 3 online quizzes (easy but would take a long time because they were very detail-oriented), 2 assignments, a midterm, and a final exam (multiple choice + short answer). The assignments were relatively easy but tedious, as they required a lot of effort for a small weight (each were 12.5%).

The midterm was a tad nit-picky (he only wrote half of it - some TA wrote the other half) but the exam was fair. I would recommend buying the textbook as it was useful for the online quizzes and studying for the midterm and exam.

I would recommend this course for someone looking for a course with a below-average course load (at least compared to my other classes) who doesn't mind putting in work when it's occasionally required (as you have to do in order to do well on the assignments and quizzes). I'm giving it a 6.5/10 because the lectures were boring and the assignments seemed tedious but I can't complain about the low course work and the prof was a good guy.

Is it an easy 12 if you put the work in? Comparable to Earth Sci 2WW3 (which Dr Maclachlin also teaches)?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search