MacInsiders Logo
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:10 AM   #1
ashlay17

Liked: 0 Times

Geography?
Hey,
So I am trying to figure out what I want to major in and I have a question to all the people studying Geography. Is it hard to find good jobs with a Geography major? Or what about the Geography and Environmental Studies major. Everyone says that it is so hard to find decent jobs in Geography because you have to compete with people with Environmental Sci majors. Anyways, I just wanted to know if the people in Geography like it and how it is finding jobs in each of the Geography specializations.
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:29 AM   #2
Drizzy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay17 View Post
Hey,
So I am trying to figure out what I want to major in and I have a question to all the people studying Geography. Is it hard to find good jobs with a Geography major? Or what about the Geography and Environmental Studies major. Everyone says that it is so hard to find decent jobs in Geography because you have to compete with people with Environmental Sci majors. Anyways, I just wanted to know if the people in Geography like it and how it is finding jobs in each of the Geography specializations.
Thanks!
Why dont u go to enviro sci then
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:31 AM   #3
ashlay17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
Why dont u go to enviro sci then
Because I did not take math in high school and I prefer the geography courses over courses that are science based.
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:36 AM   #4
Drizzy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Because I did not take math in high school and I prefer the geography courses over courses that are science based.
Well , im in commerce and im going to enviro sci. Try talking to luc bernier he can help you .. If i was you i will talk to him and see what i need . Just take math in summer
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:38 AM   #5
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

I'd suggest talking to one of the 1st year Geog profs, I think Dr. Peace is the Undergrad Advisor for Geography. You could also talk to your T.A for Geog (my 1HB3 T.A is in Geog/Enviro Studies).
Old 02-06-2011 at 05:27 AM   #6
Sasural

Quote:
Hey,
Thanks!
i'm currently in the same situation as you. Trying to decide which of those to do.
Can anyone who is doing this help?
Old 02-06-2011 at 08:35 AM   #7
smiley12

I'm in geography and had the same concerns as you when I made my decision. However, I decided that it would be better for me to choose something that I enjoyed (and still enjoy) doing, rather than something I would struggle through simply because it would get me a better job.
Everyone thinks that all you can do with geography is become a teacher, but there are many other career paths you can also take. For instance, many of my friends in geography have applied to masters programs in urban planning.
If you're unsure about it all, please go see Dr. Peace, Dr. Mercier, or, if you're wondering about envrio. science, Dr. Bernier. They'll be more than happy to talk to you. They love it!
Old 02-06-2011 at 11:28 AM   #8
IcexFire

Liked: 6 Times

As a student in H. Environmental science, I`d say while geo and enviro sci have some similar class they are VERY different. The best economic choice in doing a geography degree is to get a specialization or certificate in G.I.S. Just make sure you take all the proper courses. Otherwise, if you major in Geography I would suggest probably trying to get a graduate degree (which means holding an high B, low A (minimum) average.

People in Earth and environmental science are usually aiming for jobs mor specified to hydrogeology, climatology, and geology so I wouldn`t really worry about competition from the different programs. Beware though, if you enroll in H. Geography and environmental science you will run into at least one class that is math, physics, or chemistry intensive classes.
Old 02-06-2011 at 11:50 AM   #9
BernaBee

I am currently in 1st year Enviro. Sci. and plan to do a GIS minor. Should I be looking at completing Masters or is it possible to get into the enviro. sci. work field after a 4 year undergrad?

Thanks for any tips !
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:03 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm currently in Geography, and I honestly think it will be very very hard to find a job with just a Geography degree. I can't imagine many people graduating with a Geog degree and getting a Geography related career right away, without doing a Masters or a PhD.
You can always take Geography and switch into another program if you want. Switching programs at Mac is pretty easy.

You can also go to Career Services. You can talk to someone directly about this, or they have tons of reading material. I know they have a book called "What can you do with a Geography degree?" They'll be able to help you understand career options and stuff like that.
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:18 PM   #11
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

When I was in my first year geography course with Dr. Mercier, he said one of the best fields for those in Geography program would be GIS. Its still a relatively new field and apparently people are looking for people with GIS skills.
I'm not entirely sure, but you can either get a minor or a certificate in GIS here at McMaster. To my knowledge they are both relatively the same thing. I don't know if you can major in GIS though.
Again, just as others have suggested, try talking to one of your profs like Dr. Mercier or Dr. Peace.
Old 02-06-2011 at 03:25 PM   #12
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

Okay here's the run down on GIS stuff.

If you are an undergraduate you take GIS as a minor. In the past, the certificate was available but I do not beleive that is the case anymore. The only difference between the two is that the certificate program requires you to complete an extra course, a project based course in which you are completing to aid in someone else's research or work. The certificate is geared towards people who already have an undergraduate degree. Employers view the two as equivalent.

Currently there is no "GIS Major", though they are working on creating one. This new program would include programming and other computer based courses.

A career in GIS alone is very hard to come by. GIS technican jobs are difficult to get because of how many people do have GIS training these days. Many new job posting in any geography, geology, hydrology, etc. specify that GIS skills are required. I imagine in the future it will be difficult to get by without this training.

Any program from the SGES I would recommend pairing with the GIS minor, or take the certificate afterwards.
:tree: