Professor Rating
30%30%30%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 48%
Geography 3ER3

This geography course is very economic/commerce based. If you're like me and have a hard time with math, graphs and economics, do not take this course. The course itself was interesting. We learned about how various actors and industries deal with resources, pollution, environmental concerns, etc.

The grading break down was as follows
midterm - 25%
poster - 35%
final exam - 40%

The midterm was decent, not too hard but not very easy. The final exam was somewhat harder and more specific. The poster was not so great.

The poster assignment was that, in groups of 3 or 4, we had to create a poster on the computer to engage the public and suggest ways to help clean up Hamilton Harbour. Each group was assigned one of four categories (urban planning, economic activities, rural sediment and agricultural runoff - or something similar to those). We had to figure out the problem created by our category, who is affected and how people can help. This sounds like an easy project, and it would be since it took all of 1 hour to complete - but the instructions were so vague that it was one of the hardest assignments of my year. We were simply told "Make a 3 by 4 foot poster", and not much else. My group actually went out and bought the poster board, all the supplies and started making the poster, when the prof told us via ELM a week before it was due "Make it on PowerPoint and upload it to ELM, because I will be printing them off for you".

Overall, the class is interesting and I enjoyed what I learned. But there was too much focus on economics/math (which I wasn't prepared for), and the lack of proper instruction for the big assignment was frustrating and stressful.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Geography 3ER3!

Old 07-01-2011 at 07:40 PM   #2
smile120

Liked: 0 Times
Geo 3ER3
Has anybody taken this course recently? Dr. Padden is teaching it this september so any feedback is appreciated : )
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2011 at 10:38 AM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile120 View Post
Has anybody taken this course recently? Dr. Padden is teaching it this september so any feedback is appreciated : )
Thanks!
I didn't mention in my review, but Dr. Padden taught it when I took it as well. She might have changed a few things, but I imagine the general ideas of the course are the same. She had been doing the poster assignment for years, so I don't think she would have changed that.
Old 07-04-2011 at 09:23 PM   #4
YungJoc

Liked: 7 Times
I just took this course in 2011. Dr. Padden was the prof and she's really/nice fair although she's also a bit dry. There was a 25% midterm, 35% project and 40% exam. I didn't write the midterm cause I was out of the country but I took at look at it and it was pretty basic (just notes from the slide). My mark came entirely from the project and exam. The project was a little bit confusing but she had progress sessions with the TAs and herself and that helped a lot.
The project/posters were presented in the student center at a symposium-type event with local members of the environmental community marking the posters as well as Dr. Padden and the TAs. Overall I think that most people did quite well on the poster.
The exam was similar to the midterm just longer. I didn't think it was that easy but then I got a 12 in the course so I guess it wasn't too difficult.
The students in the class aren't your typical 'keeners' like you would see in science courses so if you put in just a touch of effort you can easily get 10/11/12.

aads says thanks to YungJoc for this post.

Old 07-17-2011 at 03:14 PM   #5
aads

Was in Math/Econ heavy as indicated by an earlier post?
Old 07-22-2011 at 10:02 AM   #6
YungJoc

Liked: 7 Times
Not at all. There wasn't even one calculation during the course. In terms of econ, it's just broad themes discussing how environmentally friendly decisions compare costwise with other decisions. I've never taken an econ course and managed just fine.

aads, jass all say thanks to YungJoc for this post.

aads, jass like this.
Old 09-09-2011 at 02:26 PM   #7
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times
is the text necessary?
Old 03-09-2016 at 01:42 PM   #8
AJ16

3ER3 Midterm 1
Here is the answer key to 3ER3 midterm 1. He posted them on A2L after the exam
Old 04-16-2016 at 09:56 PM   #9
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times
Took this course with Dr. Bernier in Winter 2016. The breakdown was:

20% (2 midterms, 10% each, 35 MC each)
5% (Attending Tutorial)
10% (I-Clicker Participation)
25% (Group Project)
10% (2 Assignments, 5% each)
30% (Final Exam)

This course was one of the easiest I've ever taken. This was the first time Dr. Bernier taught it so he was learning as the course progressed. There were no calculations on midterms or exams ( assignments had simple elementary math) and no graphs related to economics whatsoever. Dr. Bernier strayed away from the economics of the course and focused on the environmental aspect for the majority of it, making it very simple and understandable. There were only 2 lectures per week, with one tutorial per week to have group discussion related to the group project or to do some end of lecture questions which are on the final exam. The group project involved some work, as we had to create a video on sustainability of Hamilton Harbour but it was simple and marked really fair. Overall, Dr. Bernier made this course super simple, easy and fun to take! There was also no required textbook so definitely take it if you have elective room, it'll be worth it!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search