MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Getting Involved at MAC (Part 1): Clubs and Athletics lorend Getting Involved At MAC Series 4 08-25-2018 01:31 PM
COPE & Open Circle: Personal Experiences with Mental Illness Discussion Circle Annie MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-24-2010 11:49 AM
McMaster Marching Band - Get Involved! nogood205 MacInsiders Announcements 4 01-10-2010 12:18 AM
Club Awards Nominations are now open! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-07-2009 08:42 AM
McMaster Closed... or open? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-17-2007 12:29 AM

Get involved with Open Circle- the most talked about club at McMaster!

Open Circle is a club at McMaster that offers students with many opportunities, including volunteering, spiritual awareness, and exciting events! There are many chances to volunteer and learn about social issues in the Hamilton community. For example, there are programs for children, immigrants, adults living with disabilities, and homeless individuals. I have personally been involved with child and youth programs, which have been deeply rewarding for me because volunteers are a crucial part of running snack programs, activities, and homework help with at risk youth.

In terms of spiritual awareness, Open Circle encourages students to deepen their sense of self through discussion, reflection, meditation practices, and art. Students get a chance to relieve stress through activities such as yoga, and see the talented expression of people in the community during monthly Coffee House/open mic Red Door events. There are also weekly discussion groups which involve spiritual journey circle, meditation circle, and creativity circle. Students who have been involved with Open Circle have expressed how rewarding and valuable these experiences are for them personally. They wish to share the impact Open Circle had on their experience at McMaster and hopefully inspire more students to be involved this summer or in the upcoming academic year!

“My experience with Open Circle has been nothing other than fantastic. Most of my time in Open Circle has been spent at the Meditation/Spiritual Practice Circle. From qigong to tonglen to reiki to chanting, I have learned about a multitude of different spiritual practices. This has helped me to become more tolerant toward other aspects of the spiritual path. Being in Open Circle has opened my eyes to see the diversity of beliefs and practices that help connect us with the divine. I will continue to be a part of Open Circle and contribute to this awesome environment.” James Lannigan

What Open Circle means to me now is creating an inclusive community despite any differences of opinion or beliefs. I feel that this is something that is extremely important given the diversity of Canada and the need for all of us to work together towards a common goal. I've now started getting more involved with Open Circle, and I hope to continue and increase my involvement in the year to come. Open Circle is a really great way to develop as a person. It gives you the opportunity to learn through discussions, develop through spiritually-centered activities and become involved with volunteerism. It is an extremely positive place to be for too many reasons to list here. To briefly put it, if you feel like you are missing something in your life, Open Circle will certainly help you with that! There truly is a place for everyone, so do give Open Circle a try!” Assya Moustaqim-Barrette

Open Circle is an incredible group, I have been fortunate enough to participate in this year. My experience with Open Circle is that each Open Circle group is filled with really supportive and creative people, dedicated to making a very inclusive and safe environment for everyone. It has been great with my busy schedule as it is low commitment, and allows me to stop into any group or miss a week without feeling like I have to catch up on something. I really enjoy all the activities and opportunities to help plan different events, such as the Winter retreat. Open Circle has been a great addition to my campus experience.” –Elisa Ruggiero

Though I am primarily involved in one of the three spheres of Open Circle, namely Spiritual Journey Circle, I think the group is wonderful. Not to stroke anyone’s ego, of course. As a second year student, I have been exploring as many of the groups on campus that interest me (time permitting of course) and I find Open Circle to be one of the best. It’s not because that OC is any better than other groups per se, but because it frees us of taboo. We can talk about religion without any reprimanding voices. Not only do we talk about religion, however, but any concept of spirituality that anyone has thought up. As such, anyone is welcome. I just wish more people showed up! I don’t know if it’s the lack of advertisement or a sort of fear, but I feel that there are many people out there that could benefit from coming out. I personally have not only made several new friends, but I’ve learned about many religious and spiritual views, some organized, others wholly personal. It’s not just about philosophy, it’s about life. No matter your personal outlook on life, the members of Open Circle can be there to listen to you, if you’re having a bad day, just had a terrific idea or just feel like some chit-chat. There is no one way to live life; there is no one answer!” -Aaron

In my five years at Mac, it wasn’t until my second last semester that I encountered Open Circle. Browsing the student center’s World Religions Fair last October, I came upon Jeff Dreury’s warm and inviting smile. Meditation had only been a concept I understood intellectually but had never once before practiced. He invited me to join a guided mediation occurring right then, right there, in the midst of the student center atrium. Feeling nervous but intrigued, I reluctantly agreed. Looking back now, it was a quantum leap of faith. During that one moment in the student center, I got a glimpse of something extraordinary. Letting go and giving in to the present, I felt my mind for the first time completely devoid of thought. In that newly created space, I felt the expansiveness of just being. I felt clarity. I felt something I had never experienced before and it was enough to get me hooked.
I started attending Meditation Circle weekly and I was astonished at what I found: a place where students commune regularly to find moments of peace and stillness amongst the busyness of everyday life. Every week, we share high and low moments, practice different mediation techniques and share our spiritual experiences. The space is always comfortable, the people accepting and the atmosphere reenergizing.

Since then, meditating regularly has opened up a space in my life that contrary to a void, leaves me with a sense of lasting peace and fulfillment. I am now along a spiritual journey I had no idea existed just 6 months ago.
One of the highlights of my final semester here at McMaster was participating in the Open Circle Spiritual Retreat weekend. The theme, “Connecting without an Outlet” provided the opportunity for personal spiritual growth and meaningful human connections. It was a weekend of sharing meals, silence, stories and smiles. The positive energy was astounding and I am grateful for many newly found friendships.

Open Circle has provided the foundation for me to realize my spiritual potential. Had I not been ready, it would have not touched my so deeply, but had it not been there, I would not have grown so profoundly. The most wonderful thing about Open Circle is meeting a diverse group of people who share in the commonality of spiritual practice and the realization of something deeper in life. These qualities result in powerful interactions that serve to restore faith in humanity. Open Circle provides a valuable community service, creating the space for sharing and for spirituality that is essential to our lives as human beings.

I always had Open Circle in the back of my mind throughout my three last years of university, but I had never gotten more than a superficial understanding of what this club did nor gotten more involved. I expanded my understanding of Open Circle by accident by attending Meditation Circle during first term. I decided to try meditation because I had heard that it improved concentration, something that I felt I was lacking
.” -Katrina Bernal

Visit www.OpenCircle.mcmast er.ca to find out how to get involved!

Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search