MacInsiders Logo

Getting Out of a Slump

Getting out of a Slump

By NICOLE FERREIRA, MACINSIDERS

Whether you’re unemployed and now too lazy to get a job or employed but are bored by it, or even in a program you
really hate, sometimes it’s really hard to become motivated. Why bother getting out of bed for that early morning summer course (that you really hate) when you can sleep for an extra couple of hours (and we all know you love sleep)? Sometimes you just have to do what you don’t want to do but how can we get the motivation to do it?

First, let’s start with off with the greatest question—why. Why do you have to… go to class, work, find a job, or lose weight? Answer the question carefully. Try avoiding short answers. Get deep. Do you want to lose weight because you’re not healthy or are you not happy with the way you look? You need to get to the core of the situation. Is the reason compelling enough? If not, you may want to re-evaluate the situation or find a better reason.

It’s June now, some of you may still be unemployed. You think to yourself, Oh, it’s hopeless, I can’t find a job now or I don’t feel like it today. Well, whatever your excuse is, get over yourself. You have bills to pay and if you don’t well you’re going to want to have money to hang out with your friends. Let’s start off small. Step one involves getting out of bed—even if it means rolling off. Whenever I get into a lazy phase, I roll out of bed (the fall usually wakes me up) and I go shower. After your shower, leave your house. I know, it’s hard but you need to leave the place. The weather is starting to get a bit better so go for a quick walk outside (or through Cootes Paradise) and get some fresh air. Do that daily. Within a couple of days you shouldn’t be as groggy.

There are a TON of people who are still unemployed—ask Career Services. Talk to your friends. Find out who is also unemployed. It’s the summer time. It is the competitive season, so don’t get intimidated get on everyone’s level. Speak to counsellors, ask for advice, check OSCAR constantly, read newspapers, and ask around. Find someone who is also unemployed and go with them to find a job. Be positive. People can easily spot someone who doesn’t believe in him or herself. Know that you CAN get out of this rut and that with a little bit of work you’ll be ready to go. Also, the more positive you think the more likely you’ll achieve your goal.

Buy post-it notes. I know it sounds lame but I do it all the time. Write your goals or inspiration quotes on them and stick it on your desk and/or mirror. You’ll constantly be reminded of your goals and what you want to achieve. This constant reminder will inspire you to keep working at it and not to give up. I did this for one of my courses. I had a post-it that read, 12. My goal was to get a 12 in a particular course and everyday I looked at it. Every time I didn’t feel like writing my essay I would look at it. I usually got frustrated; nevertheless, I got back to work. Let’s just say I 12ed that course. It could’ve just been luck, or a bird course but I still did it. I pushed on through.

Reward yourself. I know, it sounds cheesy and so typical. Seriously though, when you send out those 15 resumes—buy yourself a chocolate. When you study an extra hour for your summer course—buy yourself a chocolate. When you’ve finally burnt off a couple of pounds—buy yourself a choco—wait, that doesn’t work here, but you catch my drift.

Remember: always think about the final result. Think about how happy you’ll feel when you 12 that course, or when you find that great job or when you lose those last ten pounds. I know it seems so distant now but as long as you constantly remind yourself whyyou’re doing this, you remain positive and you reward yourself it’ll be worth it in the end. So get out of bed, you have a busy day ahead of you!

What works for you?
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-03-2008 at 09:46 AM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Good article!

Last summer I was in a rut, I was working at Fortinos and man did it SUCK. Getting out of bed was a chore especially seeing as I was pretty much living alone all summer. Some people like alone time, and I do too, but living in a house with me, myself and I for four months was trying.

And I totally post-it note everything too. During the year my room is full of them! The more colours, the BETTER!

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-03-2008 at 04:24 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Liar. You had kitties.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-03-2008 at 08:30 PM   #4
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Yea after about a month I realized that they don't talk back. I don't speak meow.

Article Tools