MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't be a n00b! jhan523 General Discussion 45 07-04-2009 01:03 AM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

GO Bus N00B question.

Old 09-24-2009 at 11:54 AM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

GO Bus N00B question.
Hey soo I have to go to Pearson International(Mississ auga) to pick up a shipment(NO it is not actually as sketchy as it sounds!) but I have never taken a GO Bus/Train anddd never been to Mississauga either!

What do I do/Where do I go?

Should I buy Tickets from Compass and wait at that station behind BSB?

Or Should I go Downtown and get my tickets? What's the difference? Anddd Will I get Student Discount? Sorry for the bombardment!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-24-2009 at 11:58 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You only get a student discount if you buy a 10 ride pass or monthly pass.

You can buy tickets at compass or pay in cash at the bus station near keyes.

You can take the 407 West to Square One, then take the Square One- PEARSON AIRPORT- RH Go bus to Pearson.

http://gotransit.com/publicroot/en/s...0&station=&new

Other schedules:

http://gotransit.com/publicroot/en/s...tser.aspx?New=

Last edited by Lij : 09-24-2009 at 12:05 PM.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 09-24-2009 at 01:17 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

If you're traveling during the time Compass is open (8-9:30 M-F and 11-4 on Sat) you will likely get yelled at by the driver if you pay cash, and they may not let you board the bus.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-24-2009 at 01:43 PM   #4
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Ya, the bus drivers get mad if you pay them cash...but I've never seen a driver actually reject a passenger lol
Old 09-24-2009 at 01:48 PM   #5
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I have seen 2 people actually get rejected when they tried to pay at the bus, so definitely get your ticket at compass
Old 09-24-2009 at 03:10 PM   #6
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

Also, it's so SO easy to get to the airport! I took the GO bus from Pearson for the first time late at night after reading week, and the signs are really well placed, and the drivers are super helpful, so don't be deterred

huzaifa47 says thanks to jmbauman for this post.
Old 09-24-2009 at 03:13 PM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Agreement with the other people, don't try and pay cash on the bus. Some drivers get really rude about it too, some are nice though but you can't know in advance. They don't care if its your first time on the bus, or you didn't have time to get to Compass, or the line was too long and you wanted to catch the bus at a certain time etc. So just buy a ticket in advance to save yourself being yelled at by a driver. I know one was really rude to me the first time I ever took the bus home on a weekend b/c I wasn't sure how it worked and didn't know about tickets yet and someone told me I could just pay the cash on the bus.
Old 09-24-2009 at 03:38 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Airports are amazing Hope you have a good time here.

Edit: If you have exact exact cash, some GO Bus drivers are completely fine with it.
The ones who pick students up from Mac never have a problem with it. But I'm not sure about going to Pearson so I'd take the advice listed

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-24-2009 at 04:26 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Edit: If you have exact exact cash, some GO Bus drivers are completely fine with it.
If other ticket agencies are closed. The drivers that come to Mac know the hours and thus they will often not accept cash. It's actually a courtesy to customers to do so.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-24-2009 at 08:01 PM   #10
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

WTF they can reject a passenger for paying cash? Wow. Why the hell would they have a right to do that?
Old 09-24-2009 at 08:09 PM   #11
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

I too have always wondered why they get so angry over cash....
Old 09-24-2009 at 08:11 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
I too have always wondered why they get so angry over cash....
I've only paid cash a few times.

It's probably because it's more time-consuming to make change, etc.
Old 09-24-2009 at 10:00 PM   #13
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I've paid in cash for a bunch of different routes but I've never been yelled at....depends on the driver I guess? Well if there's a huge line of people waiting behind you I guess that's a different story. ^_^;
Old 09-25-2009 at 02:22 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimH View Post
WTF they can reject a passenger for paying cash? Wow. Why the hell would they have a right to do that?
Why wouldn't they have a right to do that? Logically they should accept cash because it's money and that's what they need to keep the company going. But THEY are providing the service, so they decide the prices and the method of payment. If you don't like it then nothing is forcing you to use their service. You could easily take a cab, they accept cash.

Either way, you are on campus. You can easily take a little walk to compass to buy your ticket.
Old 09-25-2009 at 02:27 PM   #15
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

The drivers are obligated to accept cash as long as the bill size is not unreasonable (ie $50's or $100's for a $10 ticket). If you are ever actually rejected by a driver, I would complain to GO Transit, because that is completely unreasonable. Remember, these are employees, not management. They don't have a right to turn away a paying customer.

It's even on their website that you can pay with cash, so there's no excuse for behaviour like that, none at all.

PS: I've been a regular GO bus user for 4 years now, including commuting regularly during 1st year. The drivers commonly will suggest that you buy a ticket in advance, but they really can't turn you away for it.