MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what will be the chance I can come back school hellrise00 Academics 1 06-02-2010 11:43 AM
Reminders for Back To School Chad Academics 32 07-04-2009 07:30 PM
When is the first day back to school?!! Salina Academics 6 08-12-2008 10:32 AM
Back to School tips Chad First Year Success 0 01-03-2008 07:43 PM
Back to School Sales lorend General Discussion 13 08-01-2007 12:46 PM

Going back to (Med) School

Old 07-17-2009 at 07:43 AM   #1
samikas

Liked: 4 Times

Going back to (Med) School
I'm a Degroot School of Biz alum from the dark ages (class of '98) and I am going to go to med school.

Any information for applying (Can I? Does my degree count?)/heading back to another undergrad degree?

Thanks!
Sam

goodnews.inc, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:50 AM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

You'll need to look at the specific requirements for each med school which can be found here: https://webapp.ouac.on.ca/html/help_...1_welcome.html

Generally as long as you have the basic science prerequisite courses you'll be applicable to enter. However some schools do not require any specific courses to be taken. Since you're applying with courses taken more than a decade ago I would contact each specfic med school and have them answer you personally.

samikas likes this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:53 AM   #3
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

not sure how that would work out since you've been out of school for 10 years, you might have to take 2 or 3 years of an undergraduate but again, im not sure, definitely follow the above post and check requirements for certain schools and whether or not your courses you took count towards it or not.

samikas likes this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:58 AM   #4
samikas

Thanks!! I have looked at the requirements, and some are confusing about degrees from decades past. I am fully willing to go back to undergrad again as well. I am also certain that my GPA won't hold water (worked full time, and we didn't have many internet tools )
Any specific info for McMaster would be awesome...
Old 07-17-2009 at 09:08 AM   #5
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikas View Post
Thanks!! I have looked at the requirements, and some are confusing about degrees from decades past. I am fully willing to go back to undergrad again as well. I am also certain that my GPA won't hold water (worked full time, and we didn't have many internet tools )
Any specific info for McMaster would be awesome...
McMaster doesn't have any specific prereqs that you have to take, but now they require the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT, so you'll have to write that.

As for GPA, generally nowadays you're going to need at least a 3.75 (out of 4.0) to be competitive but considering that you're an alumni they may look at your GPA differently.

Being willing to do an undergrad again is pretty courageous undertaking

samikas likes this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 09:12 AM   #6
samikas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
McMaster doesn't have any specific prereqs that you have to take, but now they require the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT, so you'll have to write that.

As for GPA, generally nowadays you're going to need at least a 3.75 (out of 4.0) to be competitive but considering that you're an alumni they may look at your GPA differently.

Being willing to do an undergrad again is pretty courageous undertaking
Thanks I'm hoping they may give concessions to those of us who did University without the internet!! :p

I'm dedicated to (finally) following a dream that has been pulling on my concience for years and years. What's 3 years of undgrad in the grand scheme? When you get to my age, the years are flying by anyway!

I imagine I'll write an email to the admissions director to start, and see what happens!

Thanks again...
Old 07-17-2009 at 03:04 PM   #7
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

I know someone who is in their late forties (with a previous undergraduate degree) who is in his last year of medicine right now. He is absolutely loving it at this later stage in his life! He has a completely different perspective on things

I also know someone who is applying to get in for the next year who has been out of school and working as a professional for about a decade; again, a totally different perspective on things.

I think people are absolutely correct in saying that one has to do a lot of minute digging to find out the ins and outs of each school. I did see a PDF here at Macinsiders that gave a breakdown of who got accepted into med school at McMaster this year -- unfortunately I have no idea where I saw it!!! Sorry!

Best of luck to you!!!

samikas likes this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 03:16 PM   #8
samikas

Thanks Daisy!! Nothing like 10 or 12 years of grinding to realize you have been sitting on a passion... thanks for the encouragement!!
I did see that breakdown; it's on the application site for the program. Not a lot of "me's" in the mix. Might be a good thing...
The one thing I can't seem to figure is this:
I have a degree; the GPA is not fantastic. I will go back and begin another. Can I apply as soon as my cumulative GPA is up to snuff? (at McMaster)
I am putting in my digging time for sure
Old 07-17-2009 at 03:19 PM   #9
Fight0
Elite Member

Yeah seems like you should be able to apply when your GPA is good enough since you've already completed several years of university. Best to check with Mcmaster though
Old 07-17-2009 at 03:25 PM   #10
samikas

Thanks Fight0. I pinged the registar, who indicated that there is no guidance for Medicine. Maybe it's part of the admission process: if you can't figure it out, you must not be bright enough to be admitted!
Luckily there is an info session on Thursday. Hopefully they will be more helpful there.
Old 07-17-2009 at 07:33 PM   #11
James

Liked: 0 Times

Samikas...can you provide more information about the info session you mentionned above. Just wondering if it is for everyone interested in learning more about the med school admissions process.
Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2009 at 07:48 PM   #12
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

umm... go to the different medschools and see their requirements.
Every one except mac requires specific prerequisites. Generally 1 year of bio, chem and organic chem is what is required for most schools (that's 6 courses).

MCAT is required everywhere.
Good grades are required everywhere too.
Work experience or volunteer experience, along with references are needed too.

Good luck with it, there is a lot of work to do.
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:00 PM   #13
samikas

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Samikas...can you provide more information about the info session you mentionned above. Just wondering if it is for everyone interested in learning more about the med school admissions process.
Thanks in advance
Hey James,
It is for everyone. I will post the link when I am back at my computer (BB now)
Cheers

James likes this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:04 PM   #14
samikas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
umm... go to the different medschools and see their requirements.
Every one except mac requires specific prerequisites. Generally 1 year of bio, chem and organic chem is what is required for most schools (that's 6 courses).

MCAT is required everywhere.
Good grades are required everywhere too.
Work experience or volunteer experience, along with references are needed too.

Good luck with it, there is a lot of work to do.
I have gone to all of the Ontario schools, and they are different from one another. Northern doesnt require the MCAT at all; western wants a 4 year degree...
I am trying to find out what Mac wants in terms of how much of my former degree will count, if I take courses/full undergrad etc. It is fairly unclear regarding weighting etc.
Life experience, Ive got loads
Old 07-18-2009 at 12:50 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

@ samikas.. Just wanted to say, it's incredible and definitely courageous for you to finally pursue your passion . Best of luck with your applications!