MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what will be the chance I can come back school hellrise00 Academics 1 06-02-2010 11:43 AM
Reminders for Back To School Chad Academics 32 07-04-2009 07:30 PM
When is the first day back to school?!! Salina Academics 6 08-12-2008 10:32 AM
Back to School tips Chad First Year Success 0 01-03-2008 07:43 PM
Back to School Sales lorend General Discussion 13 08-01-2007 12:46 PM

Going back to (Med) School

Old 07-18-2009 at 01:24 AM   #16
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I find what you're doing is brave, commendable and exemplary. Hats off to you. You aren't too mature to start over, just in case you were wondering. My mum rebuilt her whole life, ground up at 40 and I tip my hat to her and you as well. With this sort of drive, you'll definitely be successful but good luck nonetheless

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-18-2009 at 01:38 AM   #17
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

I definitely agree with Sarah and Bushra.

Regarding specific med school requirements, I'd recommend (if you haven't already) taking a look at this article that jesus created. It's really awesome, as it outlines specific requirements for each med school. Here it is:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2191 6

All the best!

samikas says thanks to Joseph for this post.

Go Leafs Go, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-19-2009 at 10:55 AM   #18
samikas

Liked: 4 Times

Thanks for the support everyone! I think sticking with a course that is not true to your heart is braver, for the life you will lead cannot be fulfilling...

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-20-2009 at 04:15 PM   #19
samikas

I have been discovering that mac will always take into account ALL of your former university work, no matter how long ago it was. This is a tremendous disappointment considering that I am willing to go back to undergrad, but it would require about 8 years of 12's (A+) to get to the most often accepted GPA standard. This is so sad. With 12+ years of work, EC's and experience including national gymnastics, world championships for Sport Aerobics, 5 years of coaching, national springboard diver, marathon runner, mountain bike racer, private pilot, world child volunteer, entrepreneur, shade tree mechanic, speaker, rock climbing, kiteboarding, ahospice volunteer.... the list goes on... I thought I would make a good candidate, and yet, I won't even have a chance to study at Mac even if I succeeded with a PERFECT new undergrad degree. Shame, shame.
Old 07-20-2009 at 06:35 PM   #20
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikas View Post
I have been discovering that mac will always take into account ALL of your former university work, no matter how long ago it was. This is a tremendous disappointment considering that I am willing to go back to undergrad, but it would require about 8 years of 12's (A+) to get to the most often accepted GPA standard. This is so sad. With 12+ years of work, EC's and experience including national gymnastics, world championships for Sport Aerobics, 5 years of coaching, national springboard diver, marathon runner, mountain bike racer, private pilot, world child volunteer, entrepreneur, shade tree mechanic, speaker, rock climbing, kiteboarding, ahospice volunteer.... the list goes on... I thought I would make a good candidate, and yet, I won't even have a chance to study at Mac even if I succeeded with a PERFECT new undergrad degree. Shame, shame.
Some medical schools provide you with a spot on the application to state why certain events in your life may have influenced your application. Just as long as you meet the GPA cut off you can still apply.

samikas says thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 07-20-2009 at 06:57 PM   #21
samikas

I will apply; I'm sitting with a 6.9, which I think is just shy of a big 'ol 2.7. 2 full years of 12's is still only going to get me up to the bare min (8.6, or about 3.2). How could I have known that treating my degree like a passtime was going to catch up to me now??
Old 07-21-2009 at 12:12 AM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikas View Post
I will apply; I'm sitting with a 6.9, which I think is just shy of a big 'ol 2.7. 2 full years of 12's is still only going to get me up to the bare min (8.6, or about 3.2). How could I have known that treating my degree like a passtime was going to catch up to me now??
Don't sound so pessimistic! There's plenty of others school, even if it's not Mac! But try and find out alllll the information about the application process and requirements. There's so many medical schools, I'm sure you won't have a problem !
Old 07-21-2009 at 12:26 AM   #23
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Contact Admissions with your dillemma or email all the medical schools you're interested in. If you sound sincere and professional in your application, they respond quickly and considerately. I asked questions about MBAs to some of the best schools in the world as a mere 17 year old and they were very courteous.
Don't give up it takes a century to build a mountain and a moment of dynamite to destroy it.
After a certain time, your grades do become invalid
MCATs taken 5 years before applying are not considered with UofT, I believe (but it's late so I could be wrong)
You could also try and see if you could fill out a form regarding your extenuating circumstances
I'm sure there's hope; just keep at it

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences