MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper Year Commerce Students - Commerce 1st year report CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 03-13-2011 07:46 PM
1st year business math needed? jcbr100 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-10-2010 11:26 PM
Can I take 1st year courses during my 2nd year? Mepper Academics 5 06-29-2010 09:29 PM
1st Year Textbooks Needed! tiger Academics 11 09-15-2009 02:05 PM

Going into 1st year Commerce- needed help regarding courses

Old 06-28-2016 at 09:00 PM   #1
Business25

Liked: 0 Times

Going into 1st year Commerce- needed help regarding courses
Hi guys,

I just wanted some help in terms of selecting courses. I'm confused about how many courses you take each semester, and how many required courses and elective courses to take each semester.

My total units need to be 30 for the year.

I have to take 7 required courses in the entire year (one of which is a non-credit course). These 7 will bring my units up to 18, which spares me with 12 units (for electives).

Now, suppose I take 4 electives (for example) each worth 3 units, which would fulfill my 12 spare units (for electives), therefore bringing me to a total of 30 units for the year.

That would mean I would be taking my 7 required courses + 4 electives for the year, which would bring my total number of courses for the year to 11.

How would I divide these 11 courses per semester? It would be unbalanced.

Just needed some help in regards to all of this.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2016 at 09:11 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Typically you try and make sure the number of units is balanced - though you don't have to (and in some cases are not able to), you could arrange an unbalanced year if you want (or need to). Many courses are only offered in one term anyways. Your zero-unit course can go wherever.
Old 06-28-2016 at 09:54 PM   #3
Business25

I have the following required courses:

1) Business 1 Orientation (offered in term 1)
2) Financial Accounting (offered in term 1 and 2)
3) Organizational Behavior (offered in term 1 and 2)
4) Business Environment and Organization (offered in term 2)
5) Introduction to Microeconomics (offered in term 1 and 2)
6) Introduction to Macroeconomics (offered in term 1 and 2)
7) Calculus for Business (offered in term 2)

_____________________ _____________________ _____________________ _______________

I chose the following 4 required courses for my term 1:

1) Business 1 Orientation
2) Financial Accounting
3) Organizational Behavior
4) Introduction to Microeconomics

_____________________ _____________________ _____________________ _______________

That means I will be doing the remaining 3 required courses in my term 2:

1) Business Environment and Organization
2) Introduction to Macroeconomics
3) Calculus for Business

So, I have so far divided up my required courses so that I'm doing 4 in my term 1 and 3 in my term 2. In terms of my electives, I haven't decided them yet, but if I choose 4 electives (for example), that means I'll be doing 2 in my term 1, and 2 in my term 2.

That would mean I'll be taking a total of 6 courses (4 required and 2 electives) in term 1, and 5 courses (3 required and 2 electives) in term 2.

Would that work out fine?
Old 06-29-2016 at 01:58 AM   #4
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

That would be fine because Business 1 Orientation isn't really a full course as they meet once a week for one hour and it's worth 0 units so you only get a "Completed" mark at the end so it shouldn't affect your workload significantly.
Old 06-29-2016 at 09:18 AM   #5
Business25

Also, I've noticed something else. For many of the classes I'm choosing (not all, but many), there seems to be some extra 'tutorial' class in addition to the normal lectures. What's all that about?
Old 06-29-2016 at 01:50 PM   #6
Imperious

In your lecture you'll have about 300-500 people. Tutorials split you up usually into around 20-30 students and they're supplementary lessons or exercises led by TAs. Depending on the class, tutorials may be where you'll be given assignments, projects, or it can also be a help session. It does not matter whether you schedule your tutorial before or after your lecture.
Old 06-29-2016 at 07:17 PM   #7
Business25

I finally finished my timetable for both term 1 and 2, and here it is: https://www.timetablegenerato r.io/#f6kozhz

Does it look fine? For term 1 I was able to squish things together so I filled in the gaps (between classes) pretty well. But, for term 2, I was having a lot of difficulties squishing things together so there are some gaps (between classes).
Old 06-29-2016 at 08:46 PM   #8
Imperious

It's great that your term 1 has few gaps. Personally, I would prefer to have gaps in my schedule rather than starting early in the morning (I still consider 9:30 to be kinda early ) but if you're living on campus for your first year you'll probably be fine because you don't have to get up too early in the morning to get to campus since you're already there. Other than that your timetable looks fine.
Old 06-29-2016 at 09:41 PM   #9
Business25

Actually I'm not living on the campus (residence). I live in the same city so I'm just going to be taking the bus there (even though I'm in the city city, it'll take 2 buses). I'll have to wake up quite early for that. However, I don't mind waking up early. I've been waking up at 6-6:30 AM on average for the past year so it's not that big of a deal for me personally.
Old 06-30-2016 at 03:32 PM   #10
Business25

My enrollment appointment was today, and lots of the times I wanted for my courses were already full (before my enrollment appointment). Meaning, people who had their appointment before me (yesterday, etc.) had an advantage as they got all the good times, which leaves me and others who had their appointments at a later date with bad times (as the good ones are full now).
Old 06-30-2016 at 05:59 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business25 View Post
My enrollment appointment was today, and lots of the times I wanted for my courses were already full (before my enrollment appointment). Meaning, people who had their appointment before me (yesterday, etc.) had an advantage as they got all the good times, which leaves me and others who had their appointments at a later date with bad times (as the good ones are full now).
At least you got the courses you wanted. Maybe spots will open up in other sections later.
Old 06-30-2016 at 07:00 PM   #12
Business25

I finally got around it all. I had to pick some different electives, but I was able to enroll in all courses. This is my new timetable: https://www.timetablegenerato r.io/#te912sy

The only thing that concerns me is there are some gaps in my time table. I have multiple 1 and 2 hour gaps. Should that be a really big concern? I'm not living on residence so I'll be attending from home.
Old 06-30-2016 at 09:26 PM   #13
Imperious

That kinda sucks cuz you'll be stuck on campus doing random stuff because it's kind of hard to be productive in that small amount of time. Just keep checking Mosaic every morning and see if your preferred sections open up because people will be switching sections all through the summer until around mid second week of September. I remember when I was in first year I was checking almost every hour everyday to see whether I could get into the sections that I wanted and it wasn't until around the first week of school that I actually got all the sections I wanted.
Old 06-30-2016 at 10:14 PM   #14
Business25

If I can (over the Summer) make some adjustments to the timetable and make the gaps smaller (assuming that good times open up), that would be great.

However, if I end up sticking with what I have right now, it shouldn't be that bad, should it? I mean, in term 1 I will finish up all of my classes by 10:30 AM (Wednesday), 11:30 AM (Friday), 1:30 PM (Monday), and 2:30 PM (Tuesday and Thursday). On the other hand, for term 2, I will finish up all of my classes by 12:30 PM (Wednesday), 3:30 PM (Tuesday and Friday), and 4:30 PM (Monday and Thursday). So, even though I'll have some gaps (1 and 2 hours) between classes, it's not like I'll be staying late in the evening or at night, so I guess that is good in the sense that I won't be stuck on campus all day (as I won't have classes going late into the evening or night).
Old 07-01-2016 at 08:44 AM   #15
Tristan L

How did you successfully register for your electives? When I tried to register for POL SCI 1AA3 or any other electives, all I got was the Error: Available seats are reserved and you do not meet the reserve capacity criteria.