MacInsiders Logo
Old 09-08-2009 at 11:14 AM   #1
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

GoldenKey Society
I got a letter from an golden key society, I was wonder did anyone get a letter too? Its 90 dollars for membership, I was wondering whether if anyone joined and hope to share their experience. I saw Jobs and Internships which is kinda cool.

Heres the site: http://www.joingoldenkey.ca/

Old 09-08-2009 at 11:46 AM   #2
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Well, a quick jaunt on wikipedia revealed that "Membership into Golden Key is by invitation only, to the top 15% of college/university sophomores, juniors and seniors, 2nd and 3rd year students and top performing graduate students in all fields of study, based solely on the criteria of their academic achievements." So first of all, congratulations on the good grades, and secondly, there's no way I'll ever be joining... lol
Old 09-08-2009 at 12:55 PM   #3
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

First off, congratulations on your achievement Bobby! I am actually VP of Public Relations and the Webmaster for this year. I became a member last year and I can tell you that it is definitely something you can put on your resume to help you stand out. We are more than just people with good grades though, we have a lot of events throughout the year (we are currently working on some of them). You can see us tomorrow at clubsfest for more details, or visit our website (which is also going to be updated when the year starts) at http://www.macgoldenkey.com/ . We also have a Facebook group and an application. Add me on Facebook so that I can send you some info - Goce Dimitrioski.
Old 09-08-2009 at 01:04 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...t=golden+ke y

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-08-2009 at 01:39 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I got that letter too. I'm not getting it though; from the letter it sounds like what your getting is "I'm an arrogant douche bag" certification.
Old 09-08-2009 at 02:10 PM   #6
Goce
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I got that letter too. I'm not getting it though; from the letter it sounds like what your getting is "I'm an arrogant douche bag" certification.
Your not an "arrogant douche bag" for getting some hard-earned recognition. I do agree there are things that need improvement, which is why I joined the Exec team for this year. At the same time, you get out of it what you put in. There are many benefits that can be had by being a member, such as networking on a global, regional, and local scale. This year the Exec as a whole has made it their goal to make the MacGk membership more relevant to its current and future members. You will see us get more involved this year!
Old 09-08-2009 at 02:17 PM   #7
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Your not an "arrogant douche bag" for getting some hard-earned recognition. I do agree there are things that need improvement, which is why I joined the Exec team for this year. At the same time, you get out of it what you put in. There are many benefits that can be had by being a member, such as networking on a global, regional, and local scale. This year the Exec as a whole has made it their goal to make the MacGk membership more relevant to its current and future members. You will see us get more involved this year!
lol
weird how the guy who is on the exec and VP of PR is promoting GoldenKey

And it has a list of "honorary members", that shit means nothing. It doesn't mean they were a part of goldenkey, just that the guys at the top running this scam named these people honorary members

Then there are scholarships. So I pay $90 and get a 0.001% chance of winning a $1000 scholarship. No thank you.

tl;dr it's a scam and anyone who tells you otherwise either is a member who got suckered into buying a membership, or is part of the exec for a GoldenKey chapter
Old 09-08-2009 at 03:28 PM   #8
Goce
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
lol
weird how the guy who is on the exec and VP of PR is promoting GoldenKey

And it has a list of "honorary members", that shit means nothing. It doesn't mean they were a part of goldenkey, just that the guys at the top running this scam named these people honorary members

Then there are scholarships. So I pay $90 and get a 0.001% chance of winning a $1000 scholarship. No thank you.

tl;dr it's a scam and anyone who tells you otherwise either is a member who got suckered into buying a membership, or is part of the exec for a GoldenKey chapter
I think you missed my point. I did not in any way encourage Bobby or anyone to join without first being informed about who we are, what we offer, and what we stand for. People will join and others will not, that is their own free choice. I am here to give information so that people can make informed decisions. That is why I stated who I am, what I do, and my contact information.

I am not here to swindle anyone. Quite the opposite actually, we (the entire Exec team) are going to improve on numerous issue areas, such as greater transparency and communication.

BTW, there are different types of scholarships offered. Some are (inter-)national, others are regional or chapter based. Obviously, the ones worth more will likely be open to all and thus harder to attain due to increased competition. We have had chapter scholarships in the past and are looking at offering the same opportunity this year (perhaps even increasing the amount of them and their worth).

aksaha likes this.
Old 09-09-2009 at 05:18 AM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

There's a huge thread on this, which I believe someone linked to it already... anyway, I don't think it's worth it to pay the 90 dollars. Apparently it's really difficult to get scholarships because you're competing with thousands and millions of other students who were also in the top 15%.
Old 09-09-2009 at 07:15 AM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

meh, I'll get it, even if it's only a resume filler
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:09 PM   #11
Goce
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
There's a huge thread on this, which I believe someone linked to it already... anyway, I don't think it's worth it to pay the 90 dollars. Apparently it's really difficult to get scholarships because you're competing with thousands and millions of other students who were also in the top 15%.
Is it worth 90 dollars? It depends on what you do with it (like most things). If you get involved and take advantage of the resources you will get more than 90 dollars back in return value. If you don't fill out applications for scholarships and get involved in the events and volunteering we do, it probably won't benefit you beyond your resume note.

Although we have international and regional scholarships, which are naturally more competitive, it is still possible to get them. Moreover, we have McMaster Chapter scholarships as well. At last check we give out 3 for $300 each year. This year we are striving to get more in terms of scholarships and local partners for internships and/or discounts. Stay tuned!
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:16 PM   #12
Kevin

Liked: 1 Time

What if we got the invitation, decided not to join, but still include it on our resume?
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:21 PM   #13
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
What if we got the invitation, decided not to join, but still include it on our resume?
The Resume Police come after you.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 09-10-2009 at 08:32 AM   #14
Goce
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
The Resume Police come after you.
Have you seen "Catch Me If You Can"?