Astronomy??? Taylor.C. Academics 1 06-09-2010 03:34 PM
Minor in Astronomy? Enge Academics 4 04-17-2010 09:27 PM
Laptops good in class? Chad Technology 6 11-10-2008 12:19 AM

Good astronomy sit-in class?

Old 01-13-2011 at 02:59 PM   #1
Bumchoda

Liked: 3 Times

Good astronomy sit-in class?
I was wondering if McMaster has a good course on Deep Space Astronomy stuff that doesn't deal with too much of the mathematics. I have an interest in this stuff and I was hoping to find lectures that fit into some gaps in my schedule so I could just hop in class and have a listen, not do any of the work.

Was hoping someone had some insight on the courses that would deal with more theoretical stuff of space and not the calculations of planets orbiting in our own solar system.
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:12 PM   #2
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumchoda View Post
I was wondering if McMaster has a good course on Deep Space Astronomy stuff that doesn't deal with too much of the mathematics. I have an interest in this stuff and I was hoping to find lectures that fit into some gaps in my schedule so I could just hop in class and have a listen, not do any of the work.

Was hoping someone had some insight on the courses that would deal with more theoretical stuff of space and not the calculations of planets orbiting in our own solar system.
there was origins 2b03 last semester, you can take it next year
Old 01-13-2011 at 07:30 PM   #3
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

astro 1f03 is pretty good. besides that origins 2b03. Every other astronomy based course has math.
Old 01-13-2011 at 08:31 PM   #4
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

mcmaster also has a planetarium with showings, however you have to book the tickets in advance
Old 01-13-2011 at 08:46 PM   #5
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Taking Astro 2E03 right now, it's somewhat heavy on the math/physics I believe but a lot of it is just genuinely cool stuff.

Never before have I actually read a textbook BECAUSE I WANTED TO

Old 01-13-2011 at 09:22 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I've always wanted to take an Astro class but could never fit it into my timetable :(
I may do this aswell lol
Old 01-13-2011 at 09:30 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I would take astronomy as an elective, but I'm pretty sure I could learn quite a lot in about a day spent on wikipedia.

xxsumz likes this.
Old 01-13-2011 at 10:17 PM   #8
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Unfortunately, understanding astronomy requires (or at least, seems to require) an understanding of math, as math is really the primary language of astronomy. So, without it, you'll just be getting random "cool" facts, a la 'Big Questions' and not very much actual understanding. Kind of like trying to read English philosophy without understanding much English...

Commander likes this.
Old 01-13-2011 at 11:15 PM   #9
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

light is the primary language of astronomy It is how the universe communicates to us.

macsci likes this.
Old 01-13-2011 at 11:17 PM   #10
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
mcmaster also has a planetarium with showings, however you have to book the tickets in advance
OHH! What are the shows like?
Old 01-14-2011 at 12:00 AM   #11
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
out of this world...?

britb, ShadowPlay like this.
Old 01-14-2011 at 12:11 AM   #12
Bumchoda

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Unfortunately, understanding astronomy requires (or at least, seems to require) an understanding of math, as math is really the primary language of astronomy. So, without it, you'll just be getting random "cool" facts, a la 'Big Questions' and not very much actual understanding. Kind of like trying to read English philosophy without understanding much English...
I have taken my fair share of math courses, so I wasn't too worried about that, I just didn't want to go to lectures where they spent the entire time talking about some gravitational equation. Thanks for all of the input though, I'll definitely be looking into some of these courses for next year, too bad I cant use these at my electives though.
Old 01-14-2011 at 12:38 AM   #13
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Taking Astro 2E03 right now, it's somewhat heavy on the math/physics I believe but a lot of it is just genuinely cool stuff.

Never before have I actually read a textbook BECAUSE I WANTED TO
Oh no I just recently dropped this course. Had I known that KENDOON was in it, I'd have kept it =(.

I sold my textbook already too =(

I found this course to be the exact same as astron 1f03.....and the prof just used the slides from a much more famous professor: Dr. Reid.
Old 01-14-2011 at 12:52 AM   #14
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
out of this world...?
Are provided to experience this or do you have to bring your own?
Old 01-14-2011 at 06:44 AM   #15
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
i don't know i've only been to the planetarium night that the origins society held, they might be having another one this year, i'll probably post it on macinsiders when i hear more about it. the tickets for the usual showings go pretty fast since there's only like 20-30 seats