MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of places off campus that accept McMaster meal card kevcom Body & Food 0 10-14-2010 10:11 PM
meal card transactions cddbc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-10-2010 03:58 PM
meal card question arjun2001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 10-04-2009 01:08 AM
Forgot Meal Card Strongwiller Residence & Housing 7 09-05-2009 07:28 PM
Meal Card Fraud Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-13-2008 03:05 PM

Got extra on Meal Card? How can I help the community?

Old 04-04-2011 at 08:09 AM   #1
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Got extra on Meal Card? How can I help the community?
So instead of spending the last hundred dollars on hoards of unnecessary chocolate that will just make me fat, I was wondering if there was a way that I could possibly use the money for a food shelter or donation of some sort. Is there any way I can do this? I would much rather give to people in need.

Thanks

mfattal likes this.
Old 04-04-2011 at 08:11 AM   #2
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

Not sure if there's an "official" way to go about it, but you could probably buy some non-perishable goods or the like at Mini-Mac or something and just put it in a local donation bin of some sort. Sorry I can't be of more help than this.

EDIT: Upon thinking about it further, I THINK there might have been an option to just donate the money directly through some means provided by Mac. I think I remember reading a sign somewhere regarding that. But don't take my word for it, may just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Last edited by ...?! : 04-04-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2011 at 08:50 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
So instead of spending the last hundred dollars on hoards of unnecessary chocolate that will just make me fat, I was wondering if there was a way that I could possibly use the money for a food shelter or donation of some sort. Is there any way I can do this? I would much rather give to people in need.

Thanks

You can donate directly, but IIRC a significant portion of what you donate goes to hospitality services. You could always buy canned food and donate it to charity yourself.
Old 04-04-2011 at 08:53 AM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I bought things and donated elsewhere last year, because I'm pretty sure BJ is right in that Hospitality Services takes a relatively large cut if you donate directly. Not that there's anything wrong with donating to Hospitality Services, necessarily, I just wanted to donate elsewhere.
Old 04-04-2011 at 07:57 PM   #5
AeRo

Liked: 10 Times

Even if you just leave the money on your meal card, the money goes towards scholarships and bursaries. I found this random fact out a couple of weeks ago!
Old 04-04-2011 at 09:06 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeRo View Post
Even if you just leave the money on your meal card, the money goes towards scholarships and bursaries. I found this random fact out a couple of weeks ago!
Really? I don't believe this. I think you can get the left overs sent to you by cheque or something, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-04-2011 at 09:11 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Really? I don't believe this. I think you can get the left overs sent to you by cheque or something, but I'm not sure.
You can get money in your freedom account back (or use it in future years), money in your basic account is gone forever though
Old 04-04-2011 at 09:20 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
You can get money in your freedom account back (or use it in future years), money in your basic account is gone forever though
WTF! Wow. And the 'donation' option sends a chunk of change to some company, basically? :/
Old 04-05-2011 at 12:57 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Like others have said, it's probably best to buy as much nonperishable food as you can and donate it on your own. I wouldn't trust donating through Mac. There also might be some convenience stores around Mac that accept your MealCard, so you don't have to rely on Mini Mac only.
Old 04-06-2011 at 03:44 PM   #10
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

I think towards the end of exams..while moving out..there are boxes left in the lobby of residences..i remember this from my 1st and 2nd yr..they would basically donate the foodstuff you would drop off before leaving

Your best bet would be buying the items yourself. you could buy some canned food items from keyes and donate it while moving out...and might as well take some candy and other tiny things for ur parents/siblings..no harm in making others happy.

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV