MacInsiders Logo

Got Swabbed?

Got Swabbed?

The Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity,(Hamilton, Ontario Chapter), the McMaster Jewish Student's Association, The Youth Donors of Canada, and The Multicultural Youth of Canada present:

"Got Swabbed?" is an event where students are encouraged to have their cheeks swabbed in order to be added on the national bone marrow donor registry. This event will occur on Monday November 9th from 9 AM to 5 PM in front of the fireplace at the MUSC.

The purpose of this campaign is to spread the awareness to McMaster of the Canadian Blood Services' OneMatch Stem Cell and Marrow Drive. This organization is dedicated to finding suitable bone marrow donors for patients with chronic diseases, such as leukemia, who are in need of a transplant. Other important goals of this drive is to have students register as potential donors at the event itself, and provide the satisfaction of helping out the global community.

So GET SWABBED and potentially save a life!

For more information, check out the facebook event.

Afzal, daisy, danallan, dustman, Melpomene all say thanks to iamcanadian for this post.

dustman likes this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-02-2009 at 02:42 PM   #2
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times
Sounds cool. I'll be there along with many others.

Old 11-02-2009 at 02:49 PM   #3
macculkin

Liked: 5 Times
ill be there!

Old 11-02-2009 at 05:44 PM   #4
nila*

Liked: 52 Times
I've done this

It doesn't take much time at all and you could end up saving a life

Old 11-02-2009 at 08:15 PM   #5
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times
You can also sign up at onematch.ca. I think a few months ago someone advertised it here, which is what got me to doing it in the first place. I sent my swabs off a week ago.

iamcanadian likes this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 08:26 PM   #6
Melpomene

Liked: 6 Times
If anyone has any questions about bone marrow donation, I myself donated bone marrow 2 times when my brother had leukemia, (AML). I know all the details about the procedure and such.

Thank you for posting this!

Afzal, goodnews.inc, iamcanadian, lorend, Parnian all say thanks to Melpomene for this post.

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:17 PM   #7
iamcanadian

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanel View Post
You can also sign up at onematch.ca. I think a few months ago someone advertised it here, which is what got me to doing it in the first place. I sent my swabs off a week ago.

Is it the "Relentless for Steve" thread you are making reference to? I'm really glad that you registered and sent your swabs in.

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:32 PM   #8
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian View Post
Is it the "Relentless for Steve" thread you are making reference to? I'm really glad that you registered and sent your swabs in.
Yes.

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:47 PM   #9
Flag

Liked: 35 Times
I'll be doing this, thanks for letting me know

Old 11-02-2009 at 10:15 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
If anyone has any questions about bone marrow donation, I myself donated bone marrow 2 times when my brother had leukemia, (AML). I know all the details about the procedure and such.

Thank you for posting this!
Does it hurt to donate bone marrow?
I heard it does, but I'm basing my medical knowledge on Grey's Anatomy

Old 11-02-2009 at 10:25 PM   #11
Melpomene

Liked: 6 Times
Well, I was put under for the "operation", though I have heard that in some cases they keep the person awake, (might have something to do with the fact I was 5 and 10 when I donated bone marrow). Afterwards, it just felt sore, like I had run into something really hard across the back of my hips. It went away fairly quickly though, and the only thing I had trouble with was re-hydrating myself the second the time.

The first time, I was doing cartwheels on my grandparents lawn like 48 hours later. My aunt, who is a nurse in an oncology unit, said she's never seen anyone bounce back like that, haha.

It really is worth the pain though. There is absolutely nothing that equals the pride I get knowing that I saved my brother's life.

If I were able to, I would do it again and as many times as I could, but because I also did a research project that is considered a 3rd bone marrow donation by one match, I am not eligible.

Last edited by Melpomene : 11-02-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Missed a point

daisy, dustman, lorend, Parnian, sinthusized all say thanks to Melpomene for this post.

Afzal likes this.

Old 11-06-2009 at 06:44 PM   #12
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times
Does anyone know how long it takes for the onematch people to get back to you? I sent mine in about 3-4 weeks ago, and I'm not sure if they have gotten it...

Old 11-08-2009 at 12:26 AM   #13
dustman

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshuniza View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes for the onematch people to get back to you? I sent mine in about 3-4 weeks ago, and I'm not sure if they have gotten it...
After you get the swab it should take about two-three weeks for them to send you a confirmation letter in the mail. If you haven't received one, they advise you to call in to make sure they have it. We will have OneMatch organizers at the drive on Monday so you could pass your question on to them if you'd like.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search