Grades sycoman General Discussion 12 05-13-2009 12:18 PM
Grades? aa84 Academics 2 01-13-2009 03:54 PM
Grades Laura03 Academics 8 12-20-2008 10:26 PM

Grades Help

Old 05-11-2009 at 06:51 PM   #16
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

What can B.Sc a three year degree get you? and what do you guys mean by mirroring a course?

And I think I read somewhere that if you don't get into a honors program for second year
you can take the three year degree and if you do well in it... they can place you in an honours degree thats not limited. So if your in Life Sci... and you don't have a high enough average for Honours you can take the three year degree... work hard and pull off good marks.. they can enroll you into a honours life sceince degree.

Old 05-11-2009 at 07:11 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
What can B.Sc a three year degree get you? and what do you guys mean by mirroring a course?

And I think I read somewhere that if you don't get into a honors program for second year
you can take the three year degree and if you do well in it... they can place you in an honours degree thats not limited. So if your in Life Sci... and you don't have a high enough average for Honours you can take the three year degree... work hard and pull off good marks.. they can enroll you into a honours life sceince degree.
I doubt the B.Sc three year degree will get you anything, these days the 4 year degree is not even enough for employers.

Mirroring or Shadowing a program is taking the same courses as you would in that program. If you marks are high enough, you can apply to enter the program the following year.
Old 05-13-2009 at 03:44 AM   #18
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Mirroring a course, as jhan said, is taking the courses you would be taking if you successfully entered the program.

For example, if you applied to 2nd year core mathematics, but did not get accepted because of a bad mark in say, Math 1A03, then you can still take the 2nd year math courses because they are open to students not registered in Math. In this way you "Shadow" the other students who are in the math program and you learn what they do. Hopefully your marks in 2nd year then improve for motivational reasons, and then you apply to enter 3rd year math the following year.

The advantage of shadowing a course is that you don't 'lose a year' trying to fix yourself up to enter the program. What I mean is, in the above example, if you successfully entered the program in 3rd year, you'd graduate at the end of your fourth year.

If alternatively you did not take the 2nd year maths, and re-took the first year maths, then the next year you would have to apply to the 2nd year of the math program. It would then take you 3 more years for a total of 5 to complete your degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
And I think I read somewhere that if you don't get into a honors program for second year you can take the three year degree and if you do well in it... they can place you in an honours degree thats not limited. So if your in Life Sci... and you don't have a high enough average for Honours you can take the three year degree... work hard and pull off good marks.. they can enroll you into a honours life sceince degree.
This is definitely true. You can choose not to graduate even if you satisfy the requirements to do so, if you have some other goal in mind (ie. completion of a minor, or entrance into another program). Just make sure you understand that you have to do the legwork on this one...Mac isn't going to be like "hey, he wants to do the 4 year program" and make the change for you. You'll have to go in and bug the academic advisors and such to get what you want. (And don't be afraid to do that...it's their job!)
Old 05-13-2009 at 08:06 PM   #19
lacus1004

Liked: 0 Times

Hi I wrote this question in another thread.. but no one seems to answer me.. so i'll ask it here....
after our final marks are out.. do we receive some sort of report card or something... does it get sent home? or do we just print it off from on line if we need one.. or ask the office to print one off for us?
does anything grade related get sent home?
just curious..
thanks
Old 05-13-2009 at 08:22 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

They don't send any report cards home. If you need a transcript you can fill out a form to get one next to the registrar's office.
Old 05-13-2009
Joey3
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-14-2009
lacus1004
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-14-2009 at 04:32 PM   #21
lacus1004

Hi I wrote this question in another thread.. but no one seems to answer me.. so i'll ask it here....
after our final marks are out.. do we receive some sort of report card or something... does it get sent home? or do we just print it off from on line if we need one.. or ask the office to print one off for us?
does anything grade related get sent home?
just curious..
also what are the reasons why some people receive may not return to university on their review session result?
just curious
thanks
Old 05-14-2009 at 07:24 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

lacus1004, your best bet to have any question answered is to create a thread rather than tag along to a previous question asked.

To answer your questions...

There are no report cards, no. This isn't high school. You are in charge of your progress, not your parents as you are considered adults now.

You can check your grade report once your grades are finalized for all of the grades for the year and print them off if you'd like. None of the academic offices has the time or the resources to print them off for all of their students and then mail them out.

And I have no idea what you mean by: also what are the reasons why some people receive may not return to university on their review session result?
just curious

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-15-2009 at 06:43 AM   #23
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Does anyone know if/where they will post our cumulative average after first year?
Old 05-15-2009 at 08:11 AM   #24
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

yes they do
Old 05-15-2009 at 08:35 AM   #25
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

also what are the reasons why some people receive may not return to university on their review session result?
just curious<<<

I think you mean "Why do the words "may not return to university" appear on their review session result?". There are several reasons for this, but the most common one, I believe, is if your average is below a 3.0, which makes you ineleigible to return to university for the following year. I'm sure there are a number of other academic reasons for this, but I don't personally know of any.

If this has happened to you or someone you know, I guess the best bet would be to talk to your academic advisor to see what your options are.
Old 05-15-2009 at 11:15 AM   #26
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Cumulative and Sessional averages are posted on your grade report when the finalized marks are released (which seems to be May 30th for all returning undergrads).

Of course in first year, your cumulative average is exactly your sessional average...but the difference is that your Sessional average is the average calculated over the courses taken since the last sessional average calculation (traditionally, you can think of it as your 'yearly' average, though it may consider summer courses from the previous year).

Cumulative averages are, of course, taking into consideration all of your sessional averages (and infact every course you've taken to date).
Old 06-28-2009 at 11:07 PM   #27
lacus1004

Hi, I have taken summer school this year for only one term, I was wondering, when does the mark show up in the grades report?
I have been waiting for a while now. some people told me that they were suppose to have been shown already, but it didn't.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2009 at 11:10 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacus1004 View Post
Hi, I have taken summer school this year for only one term, I was wondering, when does the mark show up in the grades report?
I have been waiting for a while now. some people told me that they were suppose to have been shown already, but it didn't.

Thanks
Check your degree audit. They were supposed to come out on the 27th.