MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
awards? byulnim First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 01-04-2012 12:46 PM
Entrance Awards adrianj03 Academics 10 08-26-2010 10:41 PM
Vounteer Awards? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-26-2010 08:10 PM
Honour M Awards Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-27-2009 09:04 PM
MSU Teaching Awards lorend MSU & On-Campus Services 0 11-21-2007 12:18 AM

Grammy Awards

Old 02-13-2012 at 08:33 AM   #1
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Grammy Awards
Did anyone watch the awards show? I was really impressed with most of the performances especially Adele, Bruno Mars, Jennifer Hudson, and Deadmau5. Any other thoughts? I didn't know who the person was who won best new artist and his speech was weird to say the least, and I thought there were better nominations...
Old 02-13-2012 at 09:14 AM   #2
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

moves like jagger should've won the pop duo perf award... : (
Old 02-13-2012 at 10:12 AM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

i watch the whole show with my friends but we missed the beginning part. It's awesome how Adele won most of the awards she was nominated for but Nicki Minaj's performance was something else, I didn't even get it....
Old 02-13-2012 at 10:37 AM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
i watch the whole show with my friends but we missed the beginning part. It's awesome how Adele won most of the awards she was nominated for but Nicki Minaj's performance was something else, I didn't even get it....
What did Nicki Minaj do exactly? I didn't watch the Grammys last night, but I heard people calling her performance "demonic", so I'm pretty curious.
Old 02-13-2012 at 10:38 AM   #5
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

I agree, Nicki Minaj's performance was actually painful. I ended up switching channels for that part.

I'm really glad Bon Iver won best new artist.. Granted, he had some tough competition, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that "there were better nominations". If you recall the whole "who the **** is Arcade Fire" uproar after they won last year, it's nice to see that the apparent outrage after a "lesser-known" band won last year, the committee wasn't scared of once again choosing a "lesser-known" nominee for this years award. Misspolitics, if you haven't listened to any of his music, I highly suggest that you do!

And his speech was incredible! You could tell that he was speaking from the heart, and it wasn't a typical hollywood-style manufactured acceptance speech.

Afzal, DMe3, Mark Gich like this.
Old 02-13-2012 at 11:17 AM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

http://who-is-bon-iver.tumblr.com/

lolololol

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

J. Dorey, Lois, RememberTwce like this.
Old 02-13-2012 at 11:31 AM   #7
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

hahaha Bonny Bear... so jokes
Old 02-13-2012 at 11:51 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I shut my ears off after I heard Adele start singing that aweful aweful song that I'm sick of... I doubt the outcome of the awards appeals to me

Afzal, RobbyJ like this.
Old 02-13-2012 at 12:59 PM   #9
The MACster

Liked: 10 Times

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy should have been nominated, and should have won album of the year.

Mark Gich, RememberTwce all say thanks to The MACster for this post.

Old 02-13-2012 at 01:05 PM   #10
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
What did Nicki Minaj do exactly? I didn't watch the Grammys last night, but I heard people calling her performance "demonic", so I'm pretty curious.
It's really hard to explain since I don't even get it but what i can get out of it was she was a possessed girl and a priest tries to exorcise her or something and then afterwards she was tied up to a table while singing and then there was some choir singing, etc. To explain it further, watch the performance yourself and what do you think?

http://youtu.be/fa-96UW6bm0
Old 02-13-2012 at 01:09 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
What. the. ****.

How did they make it look like people clapped at the end? Photoshop?

Afzal, britb, Purple2309 like this.
Old 02-13-2012 at 02:41 PM   #12
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MACster View Post
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy should have been nominated, and should have won album of the year.
Didn't it win Best Rap Album?

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 02-13-2012 at 03:49 PM   #13
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
Didn't it win Best Rap Album?
The crap that gets nominated each year is rarely representative of good rap/hip-hop. It did (deservedly) win Best Rap Album but it should've been nominated for Album of The Year so it could've had some decent competition. (IMO at least)

The MACster likes this.
Old 02-13-2012 at 04:38 PM   #14
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott779 View Post
I agree, Nicki Minaj's performance was actually painful. I ended up switching channels for that part.

I'm really glad Bon Iver won best new artist.. Granted, he had some tough competition, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that "there were better nominations". If you recall the whole "who the **** is Arcade Fire" uproar after they won last year, it's nice to see that the apparent outrage after a "lesser-known" band won last year, the committee wasn't scared of once again choosing a "lesser-known" nominee for this years award. Misspolitics, if you haven't listened to any of his music, I highly suggest that you do!

And his speech was incredible! You could tell that he was speaking from the heart, and it wasn't a typical hollywood-style manufactured acceptance speech.
I will see what the music is like, but I still think there were better nominees. Seeing as the majority of people don't know who Bon Iver is says a lot, but then again, people could change their minds. As for the Nicki Minaj Performance, I changed the channel because it was too weird for me, and it was so different from all the other performances. Plus I don't like horror anything.
Old 02-13-2012 at 06:22 PM   #15
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
I will see what the music is like, but I still think there were better nominees. Seeing as the majority of people don't know who Bon Iver is says a lot, but then again, people could change their minds. As for the Nicki Minaj Performance, I changed the channel because it was too weird for me, and it was so different from all the other performances. Plus I don't like horror anything.
Popularity doesn't equal quality if that's what you were suggesting. Bon Iver also was on two tracks on MBDTF.

Anywho: This one sends chills down my spine every listen.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

J. Dorey, Lois, Mark Gich like this.