Greek 1Z03 reeves 1st Year Course Reviews 3 06-27-2011 01:36 AM
Latin 1ZZ3/1Z03 stevennevets Academics 1 08-09-2008 12:07 AM
Latin 1Z03/1ZZ3 Slipetz Academics 0 09-03-2007 08:18 PM

Greek 1Z03/1ZZ3

Old 06-05-2009 at 10:57 AM   #1
Emilie

Liked: 0 Times

Greek 1Z03/1ZZ3
I'm taking Greek this coming year, and I want to know if there's anyone else who's done it and can tell me about it. I've already done Latin, so at least I'm used to the case system. Anyway, any comments on the courses would be appreciated. (difficulty, dropout rate, prof, etc.)

drex says thanks to Emilie for this post.
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:10 PM   #2
drex

Liked: Liked 4 Times

aww...where are all the greek students?
Old 06-28-2009 at 10:00 AM   #3
Raeann89

Liked: 4 Times

Hey!
I took about half of the first semester last year and just couldn't handle it...I've studied several languages and took Latin as well but Ancient Greek is a whole other monster lol...I'd say around half to 3/4 of the class dropped by the time I left - which is apparently normal, but it's definitely worth it if you can duke it out. I think that the issue is that the tenses and cases are thrown at you way too fast and there are SO many exceptions that it's nearly impossible to memorize. The class itself (I had Dr. MacLean) is very entertaining and he really tries to make it a fun class, but the syllabus is just way too intense. For myself at least, Latin was a piece of cake compared to Greek.

In order to give you an idea of what's to be learned in the first semester at least, I've uploaded the midterm and final practice exam as well as a paradigm of the full Greek verb - the syllabus link wasn't working, but I hope this helps!

-Rae
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PracticeExam1-ThruU3-08.pdf (92.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: pdf Greek1Z03PRACT-FINAL-Thru7.pdf (68.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: pdf Unit7-Full Paradigm.pdf (26.2 KB, 32 views)

drex, Emilie all say thanks to Raeann89 for this post.