Guitar club? allstarme Music 77 11-24-2010 09:11 PM
Guitar Lessons/Jam OldCrowChuck Music 92 02-13-2010 08:32 PM
Guitar lessons **jewel 03** Music 48 01-10-2010 03:07 PM

guitar lesson

Old 09-06-2012 at 11:09 AM   #1
dangvt2

Liked: 0 Times

guitar lesson
anyone knows where i can get guitar lesson on-campus (or off campus)?

thanks
Old 09-07-2012 at 02:11 PM   #2
Chel

Liked: 1 Time

Theres a place downtown on King Street that has lessons!
Payne Music House, 222 King E Hamilton
You can take the bus right there

dangvt2 says thanks to Chel for this post.
Old 09-09-2012 at 01:48 AM   #3
dangvt2

what kind of guitar should i get for a beginner? and how much should it be ??

thanks
Old 09-09-2012 at 08:45 AM   #4
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangvt2 View Post

thanks
I am going to answer your questions with more questions.

i] What kind of beginner are you - do you have a little experience with the guitar or are you completely new to it?

ii] What kind of style are you looking to get into? [For the record, there's jazz and classical to name but a couple].

iii] The type of guitar you want depends on the previous question. As far as how much it can be, if I'm not mistaken, it can go from something like $60 to around $200 (if one were to encompass the different styles and brands).

Personally, I was able to get a nice beginner solid-top classical for around $100 - this was down in Toronto so I don't know if they stock them at Long and McQuade here (since unfortunately, I haven't been).

In any case, 'twould probably help if someone else also chipped it.

My two pence.

dangvt2 says thanks to Zachary for this post.

dangvt2 likes this.
Old 09-09-2012 at 10:24 AM   #5
Revolution1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangvt2 View Post

thanks
Yay for learning to play the guitar, which is a challenging but extremely rewarding experience! One really good beginner guitar, which has recieved rave reviews from beginners and expert guitarists is the original Seagull S6. Here it is on Amazon. It's a beautiful acoustic guitar - simple and elegant - with a lovely sound. It costs around $400 with accessories added in. A cheaper option is the Seagull Entourage, which has a really cool look and in my opinion, is a bit easier on beginner fingers. As a beginner, you'll need accessories like a stand, the thinnest gauge picks, tuner, humidifier, guitar cleaner, and some sort of case/bag for your guitar.

Good luck!

dangvt2 says thanks to Revolution1 for this post.
Old 09-09-2012 at 10:28 AM   #6
Revolution1

Oh yeah and they have Seagulls at Long & McQuade.
Old 09-09-2012 at 11:36 AM   #7
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

I recommend learning basic chords before going on to lessons. You can easily build up your chord vocabulary without the help of an instructor. Nothing too fancy, stuff like the majors C, D, E, G, A, B. These fundamentals allow you to play many songs! Once your muscle memory builds and these chords become second nature (not difficult) you can learn more intricate chords/bar chords like C#, D#, F#, G#, A# and the roots. This website can be very handy for you, it has pretty much everything: http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php. Once you have a fluent chord vocabulary the ball just keeps on rolling. My $0.02

Zachary likes this.
Old 09-09-2012 at 01:19 PM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Dont know if it offered during the year but there was classical guitar method course during the summer. Check the course calendar under Music.
Old 09-10-2012 at 11:06 AM   #9
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

Make friends with someone who plays guitar! Also, I recommend you grab an epiphone (assuming you want an electric). They're made by gibson, and they play GREAT. They just dont have the specifications professionals need. For under $200 you can get a good guitar that will last you until you want to upgrade.
Old 09-10-2012 at 11:21 AM   #10
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

You need a guitar and instructor tailored to what you plan to play, unless you plan on using everything (8 finger tap, hybrid pick, sweeps, alt pick, classical, etc) like an animals as leaders song or something. Then just go absorb knowledge from everyone who plays.

I do recommend you practice everything simultaneously though as you get better if you plan to use it. Leaving multi-finger picking alone while you get blazing fast alt picking and sweeps will make you a sad man when you decide to play a classical piece.
Old 09-10-2012 at 04:49 PM   #11
Zachary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marooner View Post
I recommend learning basic chords before going on to lessons. You can easily build up your chord vocabulary without the help of an instructor. Nothing too fancy, stuff like the majors C, D, E, G, A, B. These fundamentals allow you to play many songs! Once your muscle memory builds and these chords become second nature (not difficult) you can learn more intricate chords/bar chords like C#, D#, F#, G#, A# and the roots. This website can be very handy for you, it has pretty much everything: http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php. Once you have a fluent chord vocabulary the ball just keeps on rolling. My $0.02
In addition to that really useful tool Marooner posted, I'm just going to leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

Revolution1 likes this.
Old 09-10-2012 at 05:00 PM   #12
Zachary

Bah, a minute too late to edit my last post. I thought I'd mention if you click on the beginner course of his, he answers a lot of questions people new to the guitar have. Worth checking out, even if his lessons don't float your boat.
Old 09-10-2012 at 06:35 PM   #13
amyniwang

is there a guitar club anywhere?
Old 09-10-2012 at 10:23 PM   #14
Zachary

I'm quite sure there used to be one in the good old days. There was definitely one, oh, a year ago (or was it two years?) - though it was unofficial, meaning everyone just got together and went where ever they could find an empty room.

The status this year? I haven't the foggiest. Maybe someone who was in the club last year could tell you.
Old 09-11-2012 at 07:55 AM   #15
dangvt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
I am going to answer your questions with more questions.

i] What kind of beginner are you - do you have a little experience with the guitar or are you completely new to it?

ii] What kind of style are you looking to get into? [For the record, there's jazz and classical to name but a couple].

iii] The type of guitar you want depends on the previous question. As far as how much it can be, if I'm not mistaken, it can go from something like $60 to around $200 (if one were to encompass the different styles and brands).

Personally, I was able to get a nice beginner solid-top classical for around $100 - this was down in Toronto so I don't know if they stock them at Long and McQuade here (since unfortunately, I haven't been).

In any case, 'twould probably help if someone else also chipped it.

My two pence.

Im completely new to guitar. I like classical guitar. My budget is about $150. I would glad if someone can tell me where to buy it also

Thanks