guitar jangj2 Music 2 09-12-2011 09:21 PM
Guitar club? allstarme Music 77 11-24-2010 09:11 PM
Guitar Lessons/Jam OldCrowChuck Music 92 02-13-2010 08:32 PM
Guitar lessons **jewel 03** Music 48 01-10-2010 03:07 PM

guitar lesson

Old 09-11-2012 at 07:57 AM   #16
dangvt2

Liked: 0 Times

I mean my budget is around $200-300 but im willing to pay more if its worth it cause i want it to last
Old 09-11-2012 at 08:02 AM   #17
dangvt2

Liked: 0 Times

If anyone have experiences in guitar that they can give me lessons every week, please contact me. Im totally new to guitar.
Old 09-11-2012 at 10:49 AM   #18
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

I would suggest going the used route. There are deals to be had on used guitars.
For a beginner in classical, I would suggest looking into the Yamaha brand - best bang for the buck.
Old 09-11-2012 at 05:01 PM   #19
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
I would suggest going the used route. There are deals to be had on used guitars.
For a beginner in classical, I would suggest looking into the Yamaha brand - best bang for the buck.
As someone who does play classical, I have to agree with this. Yamaha is quite a good beginner brand (some of their really expensive, concert standards aren't too shabby either but that's a different matter altogether).

As I mentioned earlier, my friend actually helped me buy a solid-top classical from a place in Toronto. Now, I've never heard of Beaver Creek before - but I must say for $100, the tone is lovely. I should emphasise, however, that it isn't embellished, no lamination (a good thing in my book), and remarkably bare (though personally I think that lends the guitar a certain austere beauty).

There are a number of places to check out. Try searching for guitar/music shops near your vicinity on Google Maps, that's a start. I believe Long and McQuade is relatively nearby to the university (though I have no opinion to give you of the place since I have never been there).

Back in Toronto, I suppose you can check out a shop that is directly opposite the side of the Royal Ontario Museum (if that is what ROM indeed stands for, although I simply hazarded a guess). The name eludes me. And though this isn't exactly a lackadaisical effort, I can't be bothered to check.

There is also 12fret which is guitar heaven, though I do not know if they stock low-end guitars (but there is a possibility since they stock nothing but guitars). I think it's located somewhere near Yonge and Finch but I could be wrong. But definitely, do not rule out the used route - check for deals on Kijiji (I remember coming across some really good offers, but some of the stuff seemed suspicious, so yes).

I could have forgotten something, and in places I might be wrong. But here's hoping this
helps.

[If you're wondering what the difference between a solid-top and laminated guitar is - then know this,
1] there is a very real affect on the tone - solid tops sound a lot fuller and more resonant,
2] in general, if I'm not mistaken, I do not think laminated wood matures, and so the tone remains the same as opposed to wood that does mature and ends up sounding even more amazing after a few years.]

dangvt2 says thanks to Zachary for this post.

dangvt2 likes this.
Old 09-11-2012 at 06:35 PM   #20
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Listen to Zachary, he knows what he's talking about.

I know a thing or two about guitars,
but I'm more into the electric kind: http://photobucket.com/vastgear
Old 09-11-2012 at 07:23 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
Listen to Zachary, he knows what he's talking about.

I know a thing or two about guitars,
but I'm more into the electric kind: http://photobucket.com/vastgear
Need a password to view that album.