Happy Mother's Day kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-10-2009 11:56 AM
happy 420! sinthusized General Discussion 2 04-20-2009 03:36 PM
Happy Pi Day! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 03-15-2009 08:19 PM

Happy Ramadan!

Old 08-01-2011 at 08:55 AM   #1
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Happy Ramadan!
Happy Ramadan to all my fellow Mac Muslims! Hope you all have a great holy month with the best of intentions, inshAllah.

Old 08-01-2011 at 05:39 PM   #2
Hopefull

Liked: 4 Times

Thank you nad same to you

IqzFendi says thanks to Hopefull for this post.
Old 08-01-2011 at 06:05 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Khair Mubarak.

IqzFendi says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 08-01-2011 at 06:54 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Ramadan Mubarak to everyone! I wish you all a blessed Ramadan. May Allah accept our good deeds from all of us!

Hoori says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Old 08-01-2011 at 07:23 PM   #5
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Ramadan Mubarak to all of you. May this Ramadan bring peace to Individuals, Families, and the World. Ameen.

IqzFendi, m0ns13ur all say thanks to Salik for this post.

epikness, IqzFendi like this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:04 PM   #6
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Wow look at all the likes and thanks the OP got, I'll be sure to make this thread next year for Ramadan even though I'm not Muslim.

Old 08-01-2011 at 09:11 PM   #7
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

Ramadan Mubarak To All

epikness likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:01 PM   #8
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

Ramadhan Mubarak Everyone !!!

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:08 PM   #9
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

happy ramadan guys, but can anyone tell me the point of starving yourself when it

1)affects your health (gorging yourself in the morning and night and you're bound to pack on a few pounds)

2)probably reduces your daily productivity, on account of hunger.

it kinda makes me hate religion for telling people to do something so pointless.
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:18 PM  
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
happy ramadan guys, but can anyone tell me the point of starving yourself when it

1)affects your health (gorging yourself in the morning and night and you're bound to pack on a few pounds)

2)probably reduces your daily productivity, on account of hunger.

it kinda makes me hate religion for telling people to do something so pointless.
A) If you gain weight it's not "starving yourself" so I'm not entirely sure what your wording is trying to convey.

B) Definitely reduces your daily productivity, but I still know people like my dad who go to work for 12 hours while fasting and he seems fine with it.

C) It's fine for you to feel that way, but it's actually great for discipline.

I see so many people complaining about little things like "oh my God I can't study because this stuff is so boring" and "Oh I can't focus I probably have ADD I need adderall!" and I feel that if they had the self control to fast every day for a month regular activities would not seem so difficult. And all of this self improvement is just the side benefit of this month, where people are encouraged to donate more to charity, volunteer, practice restraint and help other people out whenever they can.

It's interesting how you choose to "hate religion" for the good things, but you don't hate it for the wars and other problems it causes?
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:35 PM  
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Fasting has plenty of benefits, our bodies build up plenty of toxins through out the year, Ramadan provides 1 month of detoxification. In fact i was reading that one particular advocate for fasting found DDT excreted in urine. If you came with no preconceived bias towards Islam/religion you would realize that gorging is not done. In fact i suggest you contact the Mac msa and see join them in breaking ones fast.
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:41 PM  
tyrant
Account Locked

A) im trying to say, gaining weight is bad, not only does it physically effect you, but it makes you less attractive, effecting you psychologically

C)I agree that fasting probably does make you more disciplined, but you have to agree that there are other ways of increasing your discipline and concentration. (I know that getting my first job a couple of summers back completely changed my work ethic)

I hope you weren't offended by my question, I was honestly just curious as to why a person would fast, and appreciate your answer, it makes sense.
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:46 PM  
tyrant
Account Locked

fasting is not the only way to detox, the only reason i even suggested overeating is b/c i know that when Im very hungry I will eat more than I usually do, or be more inclined to eat less healthy (ie. going for that cheeseburger)
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:58 PM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

@tyrant: Well, the reason why muslims fast is because we are showing our gratitude to God for the blessings that he has given us. It's a deed that is very personal to God because you can't show off by fasting, you do it only for God. By fasting, we are trying to put ourselves in the place of those who have nothing to eat. It's not strictly for health benefit, but it is a form of strengthening the spirit.

If a muslim can't fast because they are sick, or old and feeble or pregnant, then they can choose to feed 1 person for each day that they miss of Ramadan.

Ramadan Mubarak everyone!

Old 08-01-2011 at 11:03 PM   #11
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Ok so let me get this straight, because you overeat after going long periods without foods this somehow implies that others would do the same, false consensus is really annoying

epikness says thanks to Commie8507 for this post.