happy 420! sinthusized General Discussion 2 04-20-2009 03:36 PM
Happy Pi Day! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 03-15-2009 08:19 PM

Happy Ramadan!

Old 08-01-2011 at 11:26 PM   #16
Om Nom

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Ok so let me get this straight, because you overeat after going long periods without foods this somehow implies that others would do the same, false consensus is really annoying
...and adding on to this: In Islam, it's strongly encouraged that in the month of Ramadan, you should eat very little even after you break your fast.

So your hamburger example is not fitting in this situation.

Ramadan Mubarak everyone!

epikness, IqzFendi, nerual like this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:26 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

@tyrant- I've fasted for over 10 years now, and every time, I lose weight, not gain. Also, it's my favourite time of the year because it really sets out my schedule and it makes me more on task and it keeps me on schedule. The whole point of Ramadan is to remind you to be disciplined and have self-control and that way, it helps prepare you for the other 11 months of the year. Also, it's not just meant for physical detox, but also spiritual. It's a time for Muslims to focus on prayer, doing good deeds, giving money to the poor, etc. In other words, it's to remind you how privileged you are compared to those who are less fortunate and in turn, a time to give thanks to God for everything that we're blessed with.
Also, those who are unable to fast are definitely excused, e.g. if someone is sick, pregnant or just unable to go for so long without food (e.g. strict medications and such). So it's not meant as a way to torture you or anything, not at all.

Old 08-01-2011 at 11:27 PM   #18
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
Wow look at all the likes and thanks the OP got, I'll be sure to make this thread next year for Ramadan even though I'm not Muslim.
I know you're kidding about the likes, but it's still a nice sentiment to hear.

It's like when I wish my friends on their birthdays, or for Easter or Christmas or Diwali; those things are meaningful to the individuals involved and they appreciate you taking the time to be accepting of what matters to them, enough to wish them well on that day.

I think if people knew you weren't Muslim but were considerate enough to learn about something integral to the religious lives of many of us, your thoughtfulness would really be appreciated.

It's like how our neighbourhood church is donating their rooms for our nightly prayers. That's an act of immense acceptance and helps bridge us on the basis of humanity and compassion in a time of hatred, prejudice and ignorance toward what may differ from us.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

epikness, nerual, waldo92 like this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:28 PM   #19
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
A) im trying to say, gaining weight is bad, not only does it physically effect you, but it makes you less attractive, effecting you psychologically

C)I agree that fasting probably does make you more disciplined, but you have to agree that there are other ways of increasing your discipline and concentration. (I know that getting my first job a couple of summers back completely changed my work ethic)

I hope you weren't offended by my question, I was honestly just curious as to why a person would fast, and appreciate your answer, it makes sense.
Well regarding A) I really don't think attractiveness is an issue here. Also it's interesting to note that I don't personally gain much or lose much weight from this month. Maybe a few pounds here or there, but it generally stabilizes as soon as the month is over. So I don't think there's as much of an effect as you may think.

C) The problem with discipline, I feel, is that you can't simply "will" it otherwise everyone would have it. If everyone could control their eating, count their calories, wake up on time, and choose to go to class, then no one would skip, be overweight, or have any troubles with finishing homework.

On the other hand, because people feel an obligation to fast due to their parents, religion, and so forth, this is an added impetus, or that added push to change your ways and become more disciplined. I think that whether or not you're doing it for the right reasons (I'm sure there are tons of people who do it because their parents expect them to) it's still a good show of discipline.

In general, I'm not the most religious person, but I genuinely think this month is great because it helps less fortunate people out and it helps your own self out (disregarding a few pounds of weight or being tired or something).

The other stuff regarding your health, detox, diet, etc, sure that's great but that's not a huge deal I think.

epikness likes this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 12:32 AM   #20
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
@tyrant: Well, the reason why muslims fast is because we are showing our gratitude to God for the blessings that he has given us. It's a deed that is very personal to God because you can't show off by fasting, you do it only for God. By fasting, we are trying to put ourselves in the place of those who have nothing to eat. It's not strictly for health benefit, but it is a form of strengthening the spirit.

If a muslim can't fast because they are sick, or old and feeble or pregnant, then they can choose to feed 1 person for each day that they miss of Ramadan.

Ramadan Mubarak everyone!
Exactly, medical benefits are not the primary purpose of fasting in Islam.

Purpose is outlined in
the Quran [Al-Baqarah 2:183-185]

1) Taqwaa : learning self-restraint

2) Takbir : glorifying Allah Almighty because of being guided

3) Shukra : being grateful .

anon491, camais, epikness all say thanks to xFLY for this post.

Old 08-02-2011 at 12:57 AM   #21
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Seriously, this thread was never to become a debate about why people fast/should people fast/people and their negative opinions of fasting. It's to wish those who are, a happy and blessed month. If you feel like starting shit up here, don't. This isn't the thread to do so. So please, those who aren't muslim AND feel like being ignorant towards this subject, go away. Ramadan Mubarak to those fasting

IqzFendi, Om Nom, Phantom all say thanks to MacAttk for this post.

Old 08-02-2011 at 01:31 AM   #22
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
Seriously, this thread was never to become a debate about why people fast/should people fast/people and their negative opinions of fasting. It's to wish those who are, a happy and blessed month. If you feel like starting shit up here, don't. This isn't the thread to do so. So please, those who aren't muslim AND feel like being ignorant towards this subject, go away. Ramadan Mubarak to those fasting
while I agree, I also think we should use this opportunity to encourage curiosity from those who aren't muslim it wouldn't be good to scare people away from Islam (/religion in general) by being over-defensive about why we do what we do.

Last edited by anon491 : 08-02-2011 at 01:39 AM.

epikness, myroodle, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 02:06 AM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
while I agree, I also think we should use this opportunity to encourage curiosity from those who aren't muslim it wouldn't be good to scare people away from Islam (/religion in general) by being over-defensive about why we do what we do.
Very true. A lot of people don't know about other religions, and that's a problem on its own. So it's really good to ask questions. I always do this with my friends from other religions just out of mere curiosity. It just bothers me the way people word questions sometimes, that it might come of as offensive even if it's unintentional.

anon491, epikness like this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 04:24 AM   #24
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

here is an excellent and simple video of what fasting in Islam is all about...

enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMe_C...yer_embedde d

Om Nom, xFLY all say thanks to epikness for this post.

Om Nom, TheMist, traveler10 like this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 04:49 AM   #25
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Ramadan Mubarak to everybody!

It was a pleasant surprise to see this thread. ^__^
Old 08-02-2011 at 06:33 AM   #26
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Thank you for all your greetings! I thought it would be a nice idea to start this thread cause it is Ramadan so why can't we be wishing each other? I really wasn't looking for attention, I have no intention of getting so many likes or thanks on this website...after all, it IS just a website, it's not going to do anything to me in any way. There are many Muslims in Mac and in Canada so I would love to wish them all

Also, thank you to all my fellow Muslims who have supported their views on why we fast! I agree that this is not a thread that was supposed to arise any debate, please do not insult religions, we are not forcing you to become Muslim but we also have the right to celebrate those days that are important to us. You really did not have to come on here to start some sort of debate about why we do it.

Hope everyone's fast is going well, so far!

oh but curiosity is different a story and none of us would hesitate to answer questions for those who are simply curious. Insults are really not needed, though!

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-02-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Use Edit :\

Phantom, TheMist like this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:19 AM   #27
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

It's going just fine :< Taraweeh is just killing my back though.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:06 PM   #28
zareen.s24

Liked: 3 Times

Ramadaan Mubarak everybody
Old 08-03-2011 at 05:26 PM   #29
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Breath Taking Pictures
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...an_begins.html

Old 08-03-2011 at 05:31 PM   #30
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Oh wow, they're absolutely beautiful. I love how they depict so many cultures and their traditions.