MacInsiders Logo

Have you ever almost given up?

Old 02-05-2013 at 08:34 PM   #1
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Have you ever almost given up?
..and thought, "maybe university just isn't for me.." ...

I feel like no matter how hard I try, I can't manage to keep up with the readings and essays..
I have 11 novels to read this semester, and I've only finished 3 so far.. my lectures don't even make sense anymore because I haven't read the books yet, and I have no idea what's going on..
I work 25hrs/week and sleep maybe 4-5 hrs/night
... and I'm just so tired all the time.
I'm so afraid I'm gonna reach a point where I'm gonna break down..

I just wanna know if I'm alone in this..
I have friends in engineering and sciences who aren't doing half as bad...
If I can't even get through the first year of humanities (supposedly the easiest program), then clearly I'm just an idiot who doesn't deserve success in life.
Old 02-05-2013 at 08:43 PM   #2
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

I think most people have had a similar time in their life. First off, humanities isn't the easiest program. It might be for some people but not for others, the same way some people find Engineering extremely easy. So stop putting yourself down Yes University is difficult, and yes it takes up a big chunk of your time, but it is possible to get through.

You mentioned you work, is it possible for you to cut down on your hours so you can focus on school? University is a massive change from High School and especially right now, it seems like everything is due all at once. Have you tried setting goals or schedules for yourself? Like actually writing down what you are going to complete in the time from 8-9? That helps me to stay on track.

Good luck with everything, you can do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post

I feel like no matter how hard I try, I can't manage to keep up with the readings and essays..
I have 11 novels to read this semester, and I've only finished 3 so far.. my lectures don't even make sense anymore because I haven't read the books yet, and I have no idea what's going on..

If I can't even get through the first year of humanities (supposedly the easiest program), then clearly I'm just an idiot who doesn't deserve success in life.

SweetyTweety says thanks to GCSM for this post.

Old 02-05-2013 at 08:45 PM   #3
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:

Aww, I feel so bad for you :(

To be honest, I think there might be a bit too much on your plate. Working 25 hours per week is a lot. If you feel like it is taking up a large chunk of your time, maybe you should try and see how you function without the job? Is it possible to just work in the summer when you're free from school?

I think that if you had an extra 25 hours per week, you wouldn't feel this stressed. Getting 4-5 hours of sleep is pretty bad also. You must be exhausted.

And I don't think you should be too hard on yourself. You're doing so much right now, I don't blame you at all. You've already finished 3 novels, more than 25%. If you make a schedule for yourself, saying, I'll read this much each day, you can pace yourself to finish those 11 books. Time management is key.

But in my opinion, I think maybe you should lose the job at least for the school year. Balancing work life and uni life is pretty stressful, especially in first year. It's hard to have a social life unless you're someone who can always do work right away and never need chill time for yourself.

I'm sure everything will work out for you, don't worry!

SweetyTweety says thanks to naval23 for this post.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 02-05-2013 at 08:48 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Maybe you are in the wrong program. The easiest program can be the hardest if you dont have a decent interest in the subject matter.
Old 02-05-2013 at 08:50 PM   #5
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Are you saying you work on TOP of university?

I honestly don't feel this way. I feel like everything is too easy so far. Why did you pick a subject that needed a lot (A LOT) of reading if you didn't think you'd be prepared for it?
Old 02-05-2013 at 08:50 PM   #6
merc67

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Hey,

Everyone, everyone deserves success, just success in university is measured in numbers and letters. There's a multitude of ways to be successful. Never be hard on yourself or others if this is not your thing.

For the past two years I have been wondering if universities the right thing for me, doesn't seem as though this is really an "institute of higher learning" more of a institute of copy, paste and repeat. Have given serious thought to dropping out multiple times even with a high average as I want to actually learn things in life, gain experiences and not just write, listen and repeat them of others who came before. Just sticking it through for a piece of paper.

Also doesn't matter what faculty you are in programs are easy or hard for individuals depending on their personality, and learning styles. I'd love to know how many engineers come back for a second degree in humanities or social sciences and maintain top of the class grades, and vice versa.

If you need to talk feel free to pm me.
Also there's a variety of palaces to go to on campus to talk to counselors who can give you advice, etc.

Good Luck.

SweetyTweety says thanks to merc67 for this post.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-05-2013 at 08:51 PM   #7
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

can't afford not to.
my family's not in the best financial situation at the moment.
Old 02-05-2013 at 08:53 PM   #8
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
can't afford not to.
my family's not in the best financial situation at the moment.
I came to university with no money. I borrowed money from the bank and got almost as much from OSAP. I am literally living completely off taxpayer dollars. Why not try something similar?

Also, why not save for a while before going to university? What do you plan to do at university after you finish whatever degree you've started?

Zebedee likes this.
Old 02-05-2013 at 09:12 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Im having so much trouble just trying to keep up and learn/do the assignments and hand in everything on time and do tests... zz
Old 02-05-2013 at 10:34 PM   #10
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

I am having tons of trouble right now. The only that comfort me is this picture and knowing that it could be a lot worse.
Old 02-05-2013 at 10:56 PM   #11
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

Remember too that first year is largely designed to weed out students. The idea is to kinda make students feel the way you do to see if they can handle it. You are not alone and you can do it.

I work 40-50 hours a week and spend 20 hours commuting out of necessity and have the last 3.5 years I've been in university. Believe me I feel your pain but I usually manage 4 classes a term and still made dean's list more than once. If you can't cut back on work, cut back on a class. Some students (not directed at anyone in this thread) just don't get it that some of us have to work and cutting back is not an option. Weigh your options for canceling a class if you need too and think about taking something in the summer or a little longer than 4 years to graduate. 5 years with a job is a far greater accomplishment than 4 years and not working at all.

It will get easier (not easy, though) as you go on and figure out how to manage time better and see what works for you. You'll also learn more about what's important and what's not in terms of readings. You'll learn from your mistakes and figure out the tips and tricks. Go to school tomorrow and suggest to some friends dividing up the readings and sharing summaries. You could easily go from 10 chapters to 10 pages overnight.

jackiemac, keiser=), Kudos like this.
Old 02-05-2013 at 11:08 PM   #12
hillary13
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 23 Times

I know how you feel. I have so many assignments to do in the next 2 weeks (mostly essays) and it really sucks :/
Old 02-05-2013 at 11:13 PM   #13
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

whether you think you or cant you are right. Henry ford this is what motivates me, maybe it'll help you.
Don't give up nothing is easy in life, it's hard work.
you were smart enough to get in, so you can do it ! don't give up

jim1 likes this.
Old 02-05-2013 at 11:14 PM   #14
nadinee

Liked: 16 Times

Don't give up! you are capable of a lot more than you can imagine. I can not excel that enough.

jim1 likes this.
Old 02-05-2013 at 11:59 PM   #15
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Uni is for the normal people which are given a chance in 'uni' to get filtered in the process and get "accepted" at a job position, if you think you can open a business and get revenue then drop out. Uni people are NOT smart they just study Fractions, patterns, puzzles and french. If you are smart go begin a start up or open a business