Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

What if I gave up on watching that vid.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-06-2013 at 02:33 AM   #18
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

You're definitely not alone. Many others (myself included) have had moments during school where we felt there were not enough hours in the day.

I was going to suggest cutting some/all hours off work but you said it wasn't financially feasible so what else I'll suggest is if you've got any 1 hour breaks between classes, you should find a secluded and/or quiet area and just take a nap for that time period. One hour isn't enough time to go home and back, nor do I find it's really enough time to really focus on studying (after travelling time to and from your choice of place to study, packing & unpacking, actually getting into study-mode, etc).

Also, if not nap, just spend time around your friends and talk with them. Sometimes after a depressing day, your friends can really brighten up your day.

At the end of the day, just give it your best because it's all you can really do in your power. As long as you have no regrets in your efforts, you'll be more than fine. I wish you the best in balancing your work & school life!
Old 02-06-2013 at 07:46 AM   #19
The MACster

Liked: 10 Times

Been there. But if I could talk to myself when I was going through a similar situation, I would tell myself not to waste time feeling sorry for myself. Time doesn't wait for you. Push through these 3 months and just do the best that you can. Do well in your courses. You can do it. Just focus.
You can't take back those failed classes on your transcript.
Old 02-06-2013 at 08:31 AM   #20
alexithymia
I smell chips.

Liked: 47 Times

You're not alone. I felt that way, too, last year, a couple times this school year as well. I technically didn't want to go to university in the first place....

To keep up with readings, I would suggest setting goals of when you want to finish each book by (I believe someone else said something similar). If you can, maybe bring the book with you to work and read it during your break.

Break downs suck, but if it does happen, you might realize if this is really what you want to be doing or just come back from it stronger.
(I'm not great with words/explaining, but if you want to talk about this more, feel free to message me.)
Old 02-06-2013 at 10:07 AM   #21
TerrenceMan

Liked: 0 Times

Never been to a point that bad. Sounds like you should cut out any readings you don't absolutely need to do (I didnt buy a single text last term and only two books this term cause i NEED them). Maybe bad advice but it saves huge amounts of time/money if you can do it right. I'd also consider dropping a shift per week. Its all time management.
Old 02-06-2013 at 12:43 PM   #22
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
If you can't cut back on work, cut back on a class. Some students (not directed at anyone in this thread) just don't get it that some of us have to work and cutting back is not an option. Weigh your options for canceling a class if you need too and think about taking something in the summer or a little longer than 4 years to graduate. 5 years with a job is a far greater accomplishment than 4 years and not working at all.
I was going to say something similar to this basically, but macinsiders logged me out and I lost everything I had written. I know how you feel, I've felt this way recently myself.

You would still be considered a full time student by taking at least 24 units, which is usually 4 classes per term. http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /getre...ry.html#gloss_

And if you haven't already, definitely think about the program you're in and if it's right for you. With that being said, don't compare yourself to your friends in other programs. Difficulty is subjective and I don't think there is an "easiest" program. Humanities is very much reading and essay based, which many people wouldn't find easy, it all depends on learning styles, interest, etc.

Last edited by dreamer21 : 02-06-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2013 at 03:40 PM   #23
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Nope. I'm in Commerce.

Kinda bored right now, actually.
Old 02-06-2013 at 04:11 PM   #24
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

The more you work, the less OSAP gives you.
Ironic, I know, but it's as if they're telling you to focus on school, and rewarding you for it.
Just something to consider.

jim1, Lois, Ponyo, starfish like this.
Old 02-06-2013 at 04:40 PM   #25
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
The more you work, the less OSAP gives you.
Ironic, I know, but it's as if they're telling you to focus on school, and rewarding you for it.
Just something to consider.
This is true in the majority of cases, however I have heard of cases where students have been denied OSAP for whatever reason, and yet have nowhere near enough money, so sometimes students really do have to work.

For me this past year, I had done co-op and so I made about $13000 (which doesn't even cover my tuition this year). I'm an independent student, so my parents' income is irrelevant. I used the estimate tool inputting $13000 as my total income and then again with $6000 (the amount I would have earned if I'd only worked the summer), and it would have ended up with a bit extra in loans (maxed out), and then $5000 extra in grants. That alone almost makes it worthless to have worked.
Old 02-06-2013 at 04:46 PM   #26
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

stop the negative thoughts first and foremost. I know it's hard but try. I failed a class in first year and was forced to switch programs. BTW i am not really in software eng, it's just an alias, anyways i felt horrible, I felt stupid and felt worthless. But I channeled the negative energy into something positive. during the summer i promised myself that i would try harder 2nd year. I got my average from a C to a B. Then during third year i really pushed myself because i wanted to go to grad school so i made a commitment to myself that i would keep the momentum going and kept motivated myself by keeping my mind on the prize. I got my average to over 10 and got on dean's list and a senate scholarship. Keep being positive. I am not a stereotypical smart dude, i just try my ass off. If I can get through tough times you can too. I was never the smartest kid in high school or university. But determination, tenacity and hard work really do work. So don't give up

jim1, Ponyo like this.
Old 02-06-2013 at 04:49 PM   #27
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

If you're having poor sleep, that leads to difficulties with concentration and hence things that are 'simple' for most people can be difficult when you're sleep deprived. Also, look into bursaries for low-income students, bursaries, etc to help supplement your income. Mac has scholarships that rewards good grades, which helps students focus on their studies in order to earn income.

What do you plan on doing in life? Do you enjoy your program? It might be beneficial for you to take some time off and save up money for school. Another alternate, if you prefer more hands on things is to go to a college/pick up a trade where at least you'll have better job prospects than with a BA.