MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Aging 1bb3 Sameen Academics 1 08-11-2010 07:21 PM
Physics 1BB3 Problem for Health Sci I Students conradchi Academics 1 08-11-2008 08:51 PM

Health Age 1bb3?

Old 01-04-2011 at 11:29 AM   #1
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Health Age 1bb3?
How is this course, for anyone who has taken it recently?

Is there alot of essays, easy/hard course?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011 at 12:54 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I'm taking it as my elective, so I'm going to find out tonight. I looked at the course outline, there's a midterm, final, tutorial, and either a volunteer placement or discussion group with seniors. Then you have to write a reflection paper about the experience. I feel that as a third year social work student who's been volunteering in long term care for a year and a half that I can do this course with my eyes shut.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 01-04-2011 at 01:04 PM   #3
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

I found it to be a decent course. It wasn't terribly hard, but you can't expect to get good marks if you skip a bunch of lectures and not do readings (thats a given though). I found the readings really dry but try to stay on top of them because there are questions in midterm/exam specific to the readings. The midterm seemed easy if you studied everything and prepared yourself. The discussion groups/volunteering is a great experience and an easy 10%, and there was 1 essay that was 5 pages long and you just reflected on your experience volunteering/ in the discussion groups and related it to some course material.. it was an easy mark.
Old 01-04-2011 at 02:02 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I'm just finished the course last term. The topics covered deal with "Aging and society." Workload is okay, about 20-40 pages of reading per week, and you're expected to read it before going to class. But really you can read if before the midterm/final and you'll be fine. There's terms and theories and stuff that you have to know, but I didn't feel like it was too much work because I was actually interested in it. There's a volunteering or discussion group component which you have to go to for at least 1 hour a week. I personally loved the discussion group and I loved it. I volunteered before at a nursing home, and although it's an equally rewarding experience, I didn't interact with the residents as much, simply because it was so large and I only went 3 hours a week and I barely interacted with the same people twice. Also, it's really hard for someone to monitor you or give you a specific task (usually), so you're more into finding stuff to do yourself. That's how it was for me anyway. But all the people who volunteered did get their 10% full. The discussion groups however were with 2 older adults and I loved just listening to their stories, share their opinions and points of view on certain topics we discussed in the presentation. It was such a valuable experience and I'm glad I did it despite being a little iffy and nervous about it at the beginning. Also, the class assistants were super nice and we all got 10% if we didn't miss any discussion groups and such. It was definitely worth it! Also, it's on campus and you don't have to go anywhere and the sign up process is less of a hassle than volunteering (get there early to get your preferred timeslot and topic!)And at the end of the term there's a reflection assignment on that experience, not an essay per se, but just a reflection paper. And these are the titles of the chapters we cover:
-Myths, stereotypes and cultural images of aging
-Theories on Aging
-Research Issues and Methods
-Historical Perspectives
-Demographics of Aging in Canada
-The Aging body
-The Aging mind
-Psychological Aspects of aging
-Health care in Canada
-Long-term Care in Canada
-Family life and social support in later life
-Work, income and retirement in later life
-Sexuality and aging
-Ethnicity and aging
-Abuse against older people
-Religion and spirituality
-End of life issues

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions

Also, course breakdown is as follows:
Tutorial attendance (5 biweekly) 10%
Discussion group/placement attendance+ contribution 10%
Midterm 20%
Reflection paper 20%
Final 40%
Also, I attached the outline here
Hth Age 1BB3.PDF

jamescw1234, julie92, Rakim all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Rakim, RyanC like this.
Old 01-04-2011 at 02:07 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Thanks sara

I really need to boost my avg though lol, is it a doable 12?
Old 01-04-2011 at 02:51 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Thanks sara

I really need to boost my avg though lol, is it a doable 12?
No problem . Haha, doesn't everyone? I don't see why it wouldn't. I haven't gotten my mark back yet, but I would definitely say a 10+ is more than doable depending on how much effort you put into the readings, when you do them and whatnot. Just try as much as you possible can to read the chapters as soon as possible (especially 'cause it's a night class). I'm just looking at the textbook and it's really not that much to read (I think anyway )

Rakim says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.