MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM

health sci or kin

Old 02-25-2011 at 09:46 AM   #1
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

health sci or kin
Hey guys,

I am first year, and was thinking of second year programs. After doing my undergrad, my goal is to be in mac med program (but thats long way ahead )...but right now, my main focus is to get a "vibrant, fun, hands-on, amazing uni education)

Initially b4 starting uni, I thought that to be a doctor means to take hard-core and dry science courses and get a high GPA in all of them, and do insane amount of volunteer work and what not to get into medicine. But that is rubbish as I feel that when that time comes, I won't be ME but a mask that i have created for myself to get into med. However, NOW, being in first year and getting a lot of exposure to university life as well as learning that taking hard-core science courses and attempting to get a high GPA in all of them is an extremely foolish move, as it will limit my social development (staying in a room trying to get all the work done) , I have understood the meaning of being a "well-rounded student" (which in my opinion is a student who works hard, plays hard and has a lot of fun at the same time)

Right now I am in life sci. YES, i am able to take a lot of hard-core science courses, but taking just these courses doesn't give me a feeling of satisfaction (because I can hardly apply what I m learning and there is so much to learn that after doing the exam, I doubt that i will remember any of it. and I dont remember a fair bit from last term exams

For my second year, I want to apply to a vibrant and practical program that involves working with people, and helping them he healthy and happy.

My second year programs that i m thinking of are:
- Hon Bio
- Hon Bio (Physiology)
- Kinesiology
- Health Sci

Now, everyone tells me that these programs are difficult to get into and there are limited spots as well as limited enrollment, not to mention extreme competition.

All I want is an involving and engaging uni education, and I believe of the 4 programs above, kin and health sci are what appeal to me

I know you don't have to be in health sci to be in medicine....but honestly, all i m looking for in my uni education is getting a broad experience working with people....i m not a kind of person who wants to sit in one room trying to decipher textbooks after textbooks....I WANNA BE OUT THEREE DOING REAL STUFF THAT IS APPLICABLE AND WORKING WITH PEOPLE AND HELPING THEM AND CREATING A BETTER WORLD. lol

so what should I focus on: kin or health sci?
I like kin b/c it is focused on learning about the body (saying this from taking Kin 1Y03 and 1YY3). I like health sci b/c it is involved in looking at a topic and doing research on it from multiple perspectives) (saying this from what i have heard). I think I want a combination of these two programs

I sincerely appreciate any comments from upper year students who are in either of these programs.
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:13 AM   #2
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

I'm in Life Sci and I'm thinking about what you are thinking. I know that transferring to Health Sci is very difficult...so I'm not sure if comparing Health Sci and Kin is a fair comparison if you are actually trying to transfer next year. I'm not sure how difficult it is to transfer to kin..I would assume that it would be easier than Heath Sci.
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:19 AM   #3
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Humanities

12 char

terrafirma likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:33 AM   #4
epikness

I heard from an academic advisor that:
for transfer students:
kin = 10 spots
health sci = 20 spots
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:36 AM   #5
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by epikness View Post
I heard from an academic advisor that:
for transfer students:
kin = 10 spots
health sci = 20 spots
I never expected that! Well, I learnt something new today. lol

What is the GPA to transfer into Kin btw?
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:37 AM   #6
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

you do realize that macinsiders is not the same thing as a academic or personal counsellor?
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:38 AM   #7
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Humanities

12 char
I want the hat in your avatar :(

Mepper likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:51 AM   #8
epikness

its 9.0 for kin, and 9.0 for health sci as well
but it says on their website (**only highly qualified students will be considered**) :(
Old 02-25-2011 at 10:53 AM   #9
epikness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
you do realize that macinsiders is not the same thing as a academic or personal counsellor?
true but i m looking for other people opinion, esp those who are in these programs
Old 02-25-2011 at 11:04 AM   #10
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Woah, large red font.

Old 02-25-2011 at 11:09 AM   #11
epikness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Woah, large red font.
lol....i was just trying to emphasize...didnt know it was gonna be so big

Mahratta likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 11:31 AM   #12
rabblerabble

Liked: Liked 4 Times

I think you need to reassess what university is all about
Nothing you learn here is very applicable to the real world...
Also, if you are efficient with your school work, there's no reason why you won't have free time

: )
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:19 PM   #13
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I know nothing that can benefit this thread so here's a nice song instead.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 02-25-2011 at 12:25 PM.

siefer1322 likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:20 PM   #14
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerabble View Post
I think you need to reassess what university is all about
Nothing you learn here is very applicable to the real world...
Also, if you are efficient with your school work, there's no reason why you won't have free time

: )
In YOUR faculty maybe. (We all know very well which 1 )
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:30 PM   #15
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Well...it's actually nice to see you have your priorities straight
But, from what I know of the nursing program, it's probably your best bet for actually doing any hands on, actually helping people stuff. Though I have no idea if kin does, so someone else might be able to help you there.

In healthsci, as with every other program, your opportunities to help others come from your own initiative to get into the community. There are a lot clubs on campus that can help you with that
In terms of the program itself, it's applicable in the way that you will be working in groups constantly, so you develop those skills. But it's not all "hands on"-you will still be spending time stuck in your room
The best way to really make yourself a well-rounded student (beyond getting out in the community + social life) is to really use your electives to learn about things that really interest you, and expand your horizons.

Actually, I just remembered, you could apply straight into the global health specialization in healthsci, which is, to my knowledge, a bit more hands on (you travel over seas for a semester in your third year). But I don't know too much about it, sorry.

Any other questions please ask

epikness says thanks to crazyfree for this post.

terrafirma likes this.