MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM

health sci or kin

Old 02-25-2011 at 12:48 PM   #16
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

^ don't think that what he means, but ya i'm contemplating this too. I think nursing would give u all the practical stuff u need!
Old 02-25-2011 at 01:47 PM   #17
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

I was in life sci last year and hated how dry all the courses were.

I don't really know about kin but I can tell you about health sci.

You do get to do anatomy and physiology. You get inquiry courses that focus on self-directed learning in groups, it's often very applicable and you can personalize it to what you want to learn. Entire courses are based on you submitting your own proposal for any topic, finding your own supervisor and learning yourself. You get a lot of freedom of courses to chose from too, there's communications courses where you can talk with standardized patients, there's the global health specialization as crazyfree mentioned (you go overseas for a term). You can even take courses on drama or biomedical graphics if that's what you like. You'll definitely be well-rounded in health sci, most people volunteer as well, are in clubs, or are involved in things like the musical or fashion show.

However since both programs are hard to get into, you should just apply to both and hope you're lucky enough to have the privilege to choose later on. There's hundreds of applications for those 20 spots, and even if you do get in, it's hell compared to the amount of work in first year :|

epikness says thanks to terrafirma for this post.

crazyfree likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 01:51 PM   #18
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Kin is a lot of textbook sitting and reading until third year, where we start to get more hands on. You can still take the more "hardcore" science courses as your electives and apply to macs med school.

Ive heard that its very difficult to switch into kin though, although like someone else said, i imagine its harder to swtich into health sci ( grades wise , not looking at how many seats are available).

epikness says thanks to guest_295 for this post.
Old 02-25-2011 at 02:58 PM   #19
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

To switch into Kin, you have to switch into first year because it is a direct entry program only, so you would lose a year. I believe that you can switch directly into second year of health sciences, so you wouldn't lose a year.

I'm a third year kin student, so if you have any questions, feel free to send them my way!
Old 02-25-2011 at 03:00 PM   #20
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

hey mel! haha
Old 02-25-2011 at 03:06 PM   #21
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Haha hey Krystina! I hope you're having an awesome reading week!
Old 02-25-2011 at 03:24 PM   #22
MaxEdison
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Hey epikness you don't have to be in health sci to get in med. In case you didn't know...
Old 02-25-2011 at 03:26 PM   #23
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxEdison View Post
Hey epikness you don't have to be in health sci to get in med. In case you didn't know...
Any chance you have a brother named Billy?
Old 02-25-2011 at 03:33 PM   #24
MaxEdison
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Any chance you have a brother named Billy?
No but I've heard that this phenom was banned until the 28th.
Old 02-25-2011 at 08:51 PM   #25
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Well...it's actually nice to see you have your priorities straight
But, from what I know of the nursing program, it's probably your best bet for actually doing any hands on, actually helping people stuff. Though I have no idea if kin does, so someone else might be able to help you there.

In healthsci, as with every other program, your opportunities to help others come from your own initiative to get into the community. There are a lot clubs on campus that can help you with that
In terms of the program itself, it's applicable in the way that you will be working in groups constantly, so you develop those skills. But it's not all "hands on"-you will still be spending time stuck in your room
The best way to really make yourself a well-rounded student (beyond getting out in the community + social life) is to really use your electives to learn about things that really interest you, and expand your horizons.

Actually, I just remembered, you could apply straight into the global health specialization in healthsci, which is, to my knowledge, a bit more hands on (you travel over seas for a semester in your third year). But I don't know too much about it, sorry.

Any other questions please ask
is there clinical stuff that health sci students do?
Old 02-25-2011 at 09:08 PM   #26
TheLegacy

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by epikness View Post
TONS! Last time I walked by MDCL they were administering flu shots and putting in central lines like real MDs

Medicine I
Biology III (BSc. 2011)
Old 02-25-2011 at 09:32 PM   #27
epikness

thanks for the replies people i really appreciate it!!!
Old 02-25-2011 at 09:35 PM   #28
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
lol no healthscis aren't doctors, totally unethical... i'm pretty sure nursing students have clinical though b/c its mandatory that they have clinical hours at the hospital. and i dont think there is actually any healthsci course directed towards medicine either =/? i feel like most of our courses are actually very practical for research like epidemiology, stats and the biochem/cellbio inquiry courses.
Old 02-25-2011 at 09:38 PM   #29
epikness

inquiry, is that all u do?
honestly, is there no practical work?
i know health sci ppl arent doctors, but isnt their any med component to it
Old 02-25-2011 at 09:41 PM   #30
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Like mentioned, only nurses have real clinical as part of their degree. Healthsci, in upper years has a course based on clinical practice environments, as well as communications courses where you deal with fake patients. However, as the degree isn't explicitly geared towards medicine, there's isn't much in terms of clinical. You may in your courses learn things that could be applicable in a clinical setting, but you won't ever actually apply them.

If you want to check out some of the 3rd of fourth year courses available:
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/optional_courses.html